Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: why doesn't radio work?

why doesn't radio work?

The radio worked on my kenwood head unit when I first installed it, but now it doesn't. I checked the connection and it was ok. I didn't hook up the antenna remote lead wire though - does it need to be connected?? It wouldn't really explain why it worked initially though. Any thoughts??:
    Dax

Lponced@engin.umich.edu

I should clarify

It just won't pick up any stations - no reception.
    Thanks!
    Dax

Lponced@engin.umich.edu

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    connect all the wires...
    antenna may have come off... just take it out and check for loose or off wires

Originally posted by Stockman
    connect all the wires...
    antenna may have come off... just take it out and check for loose or off wires
    Yeah they were all connected, except for the antenna remote wire, which I did not connect. I'm at a loss if that's not the problem. I thought it didn't have to be connected though cuz we don't really have an antenna that needs power to turn on or anything!?!:
    Dax

Lponced@engin.umich.edu

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    well
    if you mean the power antenna connection on the cars side... that SHOULD be plugged into something... it controls the amp/antenna amplifier

My Cars
    BMW 328i, BMW 335i

Re: I should clarify

Originally posted by Guillermo
    It just won't pick up any stations - no reception.
    Thanks!
    Is it just FM or is it both AM/FM?
    '07 335i Arctic Silver 6MT
    '96 328i Jet Black slightly modded:

Supersprint exhaust : ECIS Intake : E34 M5 clutch : UUC Stage II LTW Flywheel : UUC Clutch Stop 2.0 (Big Boy) : UUC SSK w/ERK, Delrin and cartridge upgrades : Brembo rotors : Axxis Ultimates : Koni SA Shocks : Eibach Pro-Kit Springs : Ground Control RSMs : Ground Control Shims on stock RTABs : M3 Control Arms : M staggerred double-spoke II's : Michelin Pilots : ZKW Ellipsoids : 6000k HIDs : Alpine CDA-9833 : MB Quart Reference: Phoenix Gold Octane : JL 500.1 : JL w6v2 : Redline Fluids

both

:
    Dax

Lponced@engin.umich.edu

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Dax-

You don't need the power antenna wire connected unless you have a power (up/down) antenna. I doubt you do. The power antenna wire is not the correct lead for remote turn-on. Standard color code is blue for remote and blue/white for power antenna. I can't help with the amplified antenna. My '97 M3 doesn't have the amp'd antenna. Does the CD work? For some reason, some decks have a hard time with the turn-on signal for the factory amp. If the CD doesn't have any output either, the amp may not be turning on. Therefore, no output. If this is the case, you'll need to use a bosch type relay to cut through the 12v signal to turn on the amp. You can easily test the FM radio reception by temporarily inserting a 2 foot long piece of speaker wire into the antenna jack on the back of the deck. This is enough of an antenna to get decent FM reception to determine if the deck has output.

Jay

Jay, thanks for the response. CD works just fine, in fact, the radio even worked when I first installed the head. Then one day, I just couldn't get any reception. The factory amp is turning on, and with the radio I just hear fuzz out the speakers. Could my radio connection be messed up somehow??
    Dax

Lponced@engin.umich.edu

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Pop the deck out and try the wire in the antenna trick. That will eliminate the possibility of an antenna problem in your car. If you still have no radio reception, the problem may be the deck. Is it new? If so, Kenwood has a 1 year warranty. Also, most car audio shops will bench test the deck for you.

Jay

Do you have the antenna built into the rear window, or do you have an external antenna? You might have an open between the antenna and the stereo. If the above test with a wire works... that's the culprit. Break out the multimeter and start searching for the open.

95 318is
    POS Bosal exhaust * CAI * Sumitomo HTR Z II * Clears front and side * Aluminum Guage Faces (thx seed) * Illuminated shift knob * ///M3 mirrors *
    Infinty Kappas front (MTX 302) & rear * 2 JLAudio 12's (MTX 302)