Thread: Would i be stupid to....

My Cars
    F

Would i be stupid to....

Would i be stupid to buy a fiberglass replica kit? Those hamann and schnitzers can get up there in price. Ofcourse the real is better and stronger, just those replicas cost SOOOOOO much less. Yay? Nay?

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    nay... IMO sooner or later you'll spend more money on buying the replicas after each one breaks one after another.
    Richard

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    Originally posted by Black Majik
    nay... IMO sooner or later you'll spend more money on buying the replicas after each one breaks one after another.
    I agree with Richie Rich... fiberglass is very weak and very brittle. If you promise us that you will drive carefully then its ok .
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    04 M3
    Agreed
    04 LSB M3

My Cars
    NYC Subway
    I think that fiberglass is OK for sideskirts and back. Don't try putting it on the front. Even if you don't get the piece cracked by hitting something, you're gonna get a zillion rock chips on it. It's gonna look like swiss cheese after a while. But the sideskirts and back have a lesser onslaught of damage.

If you're mechanically apt, what you could do is buy the fiberglass piece, then coat it with one or more layers of cf, thereby strengthening it. CF isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than buying the cf/gfk parts... (albeit LOTS more work...)