Thread: Water coming from e-box cooling fan into footwell

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6

Water coming from e-box cooling fan into footwell

so i finally found where the water was coming from when it rained. its from the black thingy that i believe is a recirculating vent. the fuse blew for it and i replaced it. but it still leaks water. so know that i know where its coming from, what do i do next? pics to follow... ignore the red oval in the last pic. where the wires run the through the hole in the fire wall is where the water enters and then runs down the tube.

1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    I think this is a common problem.

The drain just needs to be unclogged.

However, my recommendation is that you simply move somewhere dry where it almost never rains.

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    ^^ lol, i hate the damn rain. it rarely rained last year but this year in rains for more than half a week.

where is this drain located???
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post
    so i finally found where the water was coming from when it rained. its from the black thingy that i believe is a recirculating vent.
    Are you referring to the part in the pic in your quote above? If so, isn't that the fan that comes on to cool the Ebox under the hood if the temperature for your car's ECU (which is a computer) gets to high...this fan is there to cool it???

Check the BMW part nbr that should be somewhere on the part and see if it is either #7, #8, or #10: http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online...12&fg=35&hl=16

If this is where your leak is coming from...you need to check your E-box to see if water is getting into it...if it is...you may have more problems looming than what you want to think about. The water could also be coming from around the windshield area, too.

Good luck...just some thoughts from a casual observer.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    so i checked it out today and there is no sign of water in the Ebox, but there was still a little bit of water under it. it has not rained for a few days and i drove the car earlier but the water still stayed there. and there is also a spot where the wiring enters the car through the firewall about an 1" above where the water is, which leads me to believe that the water fills up there and leaks through the wiring.

so i'm going to pull the Ebox out tomorrow and check for a drain. is there any process that i should know before removing the computers in the Ebox besides disconnecting the battery?

Update:

thank you everyone for your help. the problem is finally solved. hopefully....

i dumped a cup of water under the ebox and looked inside my car to find a puddle of water. so i pulled the ebox out (what a job that was...) and found 2 drains under it. both drains were plugged with maple keys, one of those chrome tamper seals like on a coolant jug, and a little piece of glass that i managed to cut myself on. so what was happening was the water was filling up in that area and seaping around the gromit into the ebox(part #11), then going through the fan (part #8) and onto my carpet inside.

Last edited by shogun; 05-20-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: posts merged

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    Actually, I had no idea where the actual plug was.

I've read about other guys with the same problem, but never knew exactly where they went to unclog whatever it was that was clogged.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-20-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: posts merged

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just cleaned up the drain holes in another E32, thanks for the pics, was easier to do with these.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just a reminder to check the drain holes in the e-box, read on another forum that the control modules were damaged due to water in the e-box, the drain hole is at the bottom of the e-box.

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    Are the pics out of focus due to Photobucket or the camera?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    not the camera, photobucket makes them like this, unless one pays for it