Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabethejays View Post
    Hey is a foam pad conditioner necessary? Can I use some other kind of product at home, etc? Will quick detailing spray work? Let me know and thanks.
    When using Pad Conditioner you prevent "dry buffing" but you can get away with using a detailer if you do not have conditioner on hand. You just need to make sure what you are using is not going to affect the performance of the polish.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan@autogeek View Post
    When using Pad Conditioner you prevent "dry buffing" but you can get away with using a detailer if you do not have conditioner on hand. You just need to make sure what you are using is not going to affect the performance of the polish.
    How can I tell if it will affect the polish? Will ice turtle wax spray detailer or mothers quick detailer affect the polish?

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by 328ibimmer View Post
    yea i just purchased the pc and worked great but i got polish on trim peices how do i get it off around doors and windows
    Try this! Duragloss Wax Eraser I've used it with great results

Quote Originally Posted by gottabethejays View Post
    How can I tell if it will affect the polish? Will ice turtle wax spray detailer or mothers quick detailer affect the polish?
    We have tested the XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner with many products and the only affect is smoother polishing with no problems at all. You can use a detail spray if you are in a pinch and don't have the XMT but they are not designed to be used as a foam pad conditioner/lubricant.
    Last edited by Matt@Autogeek; 08-05-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    S60R, 72 cutlass
    there would be nothing i can get at a local store for a decent pad conditioner?

My Cars
    If you need to grab something local I would get the Meguiars #34
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    S60R, 72 cutlass
    what comes first?

use a polish and than a sealant and than wax?

My Cars
    87 325ic,04 IS300 SD

Meguiars G110 question

I have never polished or used wax with a machine before, only by hand. Is the Meguiars G110 a good machine for a rookie? Or is it too powerful of a machine for a rookie and a more simple one would be better suited for myself? The car I will be detailing is VERY important to me, so I do not want to mess it up as it was my late fathers car.

Also, is the free Meguiars 105 too aggresive for someone that just wants to take some light swirls off of my car? The paint is in very good shape for its age with great shine still. Just some light scratches and swirls on the hood and trunk from sitting around in the garage for 8 years since he passed away.

Please let me know.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by AggroRider1 View Post
    what comes first?

use a polish and than a sealant and than wax?
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by IS300E30 View Post
    I have never polished or used wax with a machine before, only by hand. Is the Meguiars G110 a good machine for a rookie? Or is it too powerful of a machine for a rookie and a more simple one would be better suited for myself? The car I will be detailing is VERY important to me, so I do not want to mess it up as it was my late fathers car.

Also, is the free Meguiars 105 too aggresive for someone that just wants to take some light swirls off of my car? The paint is in very good shape for its age with great shine still. Just some light scratches and swirls on the hood and trunk from sitting around in the garage for 8 years since he passed away.

Please let me know.
    I would not take 105 to a car with paint that is in very good shape, it is too aggressive. Depending on your exact situation would determine what you need. Since this car needs to be treated with extra care I would highly recommend you give us a call so we can talk specifics with you and give you a personalize recommendation.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    If you do want to ready further about 105 here is a great review.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=21694
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    87 325ic,04 IS300 SD
    Thank you very much for the truthful answer. Meghan, are you the person that I should ask for when calling or is there another person in mind that I should ask for?

Thank you,

Nicolas
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan@autogeek View Post
    You are correct.

I would not take 105 to a car with paint that is in very good shape, it is too aggressive. Depending on your exact situation would determine what you need. Since this car needs to be treated with extra care I would highly recommend you give us a call so we can talk specifics with you and give you a personalize recommendation.

My Cars
    S60R, 72 cutlass
    Are all pads generally the same when it comes to be color organized? orange has more cut and so on?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by IS300E30 View Post
    Thank you very much for the truthful answer. Meghan, are you the person that I should ask for when calling or is there another person in mind that I should ask for?

Thank you,

Nicolas
    Nicholas we have a team of techs that can answer questions for you, so if one is not available there is always someone else to help out. Some of us are really good with some lines and some with others so we jump in where and when best for the question!

Are all pads generally the same when it comes to be color organized? orange has more cut and so on?
    Not true, Lake Country's pads are all on their scale system but you cannot compare theirs to Edge, or Meguiars, for example Yellow might be heavy cut on Lake Country but for Meguiars Yellow is mild cutting. So just depends on who is making the pad. Let me know if you need any other help with pads, I use Lake Country and stick with it just because I have the colors down pat and know what they can do.

We do have a cheat sheet to help you with Lake Country Pads.
    http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buff...d-chart-lc.htm
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    1986 Euro M635csi
    What could I use to reduce oxidation and restore color to a car that has began to show a loss/oxidation on it's paint?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Willr1 View Post
    What could I use to reduce oxidation and restore color to a car that has began to show a loss/oxidation on it's paint?
    What is the year, make and color of this car?

In addition to the oxidation and loss of color, are there any swirls present?

If doing by hand, give Klasse All In One a try. It has a chemical cleaner that works very well for removing oxidation. All In One also leaves behind an acrylic polymer for protection.

My Cars
    1986 Euro M635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneAutogeek View Post
    What is the year, make and color of this car?

In addition to the oxidation and loss of color, are there any swirls present?

If doing by hand, give Klasse All In One a try. It has a chemical cleaner that works very well for removing oxidation. All In One also leaves behind an acrylic polymer for protection.
    Its and 86 M635csi and is a med blue color. Dont know about swirls though, I have tried to hand buff it, but it just soaks up the wax and kills my elbow. Would I be better off buying the Klasse All in one and paying a detail company to use it with an orbital buffer?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 330i
    Instead of paying someone else to do it and hoping for a nice job, you could invest in a Porter Cable 7424XP Intro Pad Kit and a few polishes to ensure that you get great results. After you remove the oxidation and get down to the healthy paint, the wax won't keep soaking in and the finish will be much nicer.

I would suggest the following:

Wash

Dry

Klasse All In One to remove the oxidized paint

Detailing clay to remove any bonded contaminants (normally clay first
    before polishing but since there is oxidation, remove it first)

Swirl remover with the PC-7424XP (if swirls are present)

Finish polish (Product like Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0, Wolfgang Paintwork
    Polish Enhancer or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion)

Final wax or paint sealant

Once you do these steps, regular detailing will help maintain the finish and prevent future oxidation from taking over and dulling the shine.

My Cars
    1986 Euro M635csi
    that sounds nice. I appreciate and Ill post up pics when I get it done.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MCoupe
    Hi Autogeek,

I recently purchased my first buffer (griot's random orbital) and am slowly learning about machine polishing. I have a question about holograms and marring. How can you tell when they're all gone? I've been looking over a ton of threads here, on autogeek.net, and autopia and sometimes I feel like I can tell there's no more hologramming and sometimes I cant. Of course sometimes it's the pictures.

I've stolen these 5 pictures below another persons thread (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1291138). Each are in varying stages of finishing with the last picture being the final state. Can you tell me when in the sequence (if at all) are all the holograms considered gone? Is it possible to tell in these pics? To me even the last picture has holograms, but then I dont know much.

-al

My Cars
    2009 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
    Hi Autogeek,

I have a question about holograms and marring. How can you tell when they're all gone?
    Sometimes pictures will not show everything but the best way to know when holograms and marring are gone is to do a wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection to remove any polish residues and then use halogen lights as you do a visual inspection.

When the paint appears pure and free of any blemishes or defects, holograms and swirls are gone.

My Cars
    S60R, 72 cutlass
    wax by hand or with pc?
    Last edited by AggroRider1; 08-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.

My Cars
    wax by hand or with pc?
    That is a personal preference, some think waxing with PC is faster, I personally like to apply wax and sealants by hand.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    2009 BMW 330i
    wax by hand or with pc?
    I like to apply paste waxes by hand and do the liquid waxes and sealants by machine.

This is a great example of personal preference. Meghan likes waxing and sealing by hand and I like to use the machine to spread the sealant nice and even and then remove the residue by hand with a microfiber towel.

Her black car looks great so we are both right, whichever way you prefer to wax is the right way to do it. The most important thing is that you are waxing and maintaining your car.

My Cars
    2005 E46 330i ZHP
    Hi guys,

My gf has a Cooper S and in the year she's had it we've noticed the bonnet stripes getting dirtier and dirtier. Is there a safe way to clean these?

Thanks,

My Cars
    BMW 325i

Daily Wear and Tear scratches and dents

Hi, I have a question on how to repair or hide scratches and dents from the daily wear and tear of driving. Specifically, I have some minor chip marks from hitting loose stones on the freeway on the front bumper of my 325i as well as scratches from hitting a curb at the bottom of my front door. There is also a slight dent on the rear bumper from backing into the garage some time ago. All these scratches and dents are minor and not too visible unless one pays close attention, so I don't want to go in for an expensive paint job/dent repair yet. Can you suggest a solution to these scratches and dents? Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 e36 m3 SC
    hey whats going on I just bought this estoril blue m3 but I feel like that paint is fadding and looks a little dull. Another problem is that on the the rear window in the corner theres a little rust. i was wondering how to fix the rust and how to make the paint stand out.

Thanks in advance,

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast