Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    Fern Green 1999 M3
    Matt,

Would you mind taking a look at my thread? I would also appreciate any advice as to which products I can buy from you.

Many thanks

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1204587

My Cars
    1989 325i conv
    conv tops/ how do you clean rear vinyl window,top in great shape? thanks!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by plixie View Post
    conv tops/ how do you clean rear vinyl window,top in great shape? thanks!
    We have a line, Diamondite that specializes in clear windows, and headlights.

Here is the line
    http://www.autogeek.net/diglclsy.html

Here is a kit that is perfect for Vinyl windows
    http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-vinyl-kit.html

If the window is in great shape you will just need the Clear Vinyl Shield to protect it against UV rays.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    1989 325i conv
    thanks will give it a try!

My Cars
    '98 328is

Question:

Hi,
    thanks in advance for any advice!

My question is: Would I, a wood finisher with experience in wetsanding, varnish application, polishing, etc. have what it takes to get a job as an automotive detailer?

There is a job posting for one, and I wondered if my woodfinishing skills could be enough to get me in.
    "Is that a shark down there? Perhaps I've jumped too far."

My Cars
    Mercedes

Can you help me with my chrome wheels?

I just bought a 98 328i Convertible. I understand from the PO that is was parked and not driven for a few months. The wheels were in terrible shape. The brake dust had adhered to the chrome wheels and rusted. I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish and a stiff vinyl brush and also an aluminum scraper to etch off the rust which came off in chunks. Underneath the rust I see pitting or oxidation. The wheels look better but what else can I do to clean up the wheels? The chrome has not flaked off. There is no clear coat flaking. Should I wet sand (what grit) the oxidation to smooth the wheels and then polish some more? Thanks.

The first 2 pics on the left is what I inherited and the next 2 is after polishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoutcat View Post
    Hi,
    thanks in advance for any advice!

My question is: Would I, a wood finisher with experience in wetsanding, varnish application, polishing, etc. have what it takes to get a job as an automotive detailer?

There is a job posting for one, and I wondered if my woodfinishing skills could be enough to get me in.
    Anyone can get into auto detailing. I had no prior experience other than hand waxing using bath towels....next thing you know I picked up a PC 7424 and got to work and started getting awesome results. There really is nothing to it.

Unfortunately, those wheels look so far gone that re-chroming them is the only option.
    Last edited by Matt@Autogeek; 04-28-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by edgedude View Post
    I just bought a 98 328i Convertible. I understand from the PO that is was parked and not driven for a few months. The wheels were in terrible shape. The brake dust had adhered to the chrome wheels and rusted. I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish and a stiff vinyl brush and also an aluminum scraper to etch off the rust which came off in chunks. Underneath the rust I see pitting or oxidation. The wheels look better but what else can I do to clean up the wheels? The chrome has not flaked off. There is no clear coat flaking. Should I wet sand (what grit) the oxidation to smooth the wheels and then polish some more? Thanks.

The first 2 pics on the left is what I inherited and the next 2 is after polishing.
    Can anyone at autogeek help me out here???

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Autogeek View Post
    Unfortunately, those wheels look so far gone that re-chroming them is the only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by edgedude View Post
    Can anyone at autogeek help me out here???
    He already answered your question.

Matt,

I read somewhere that you can layer Dodo Juice Soft and Hard Waxes, is this true? For your information, the waxes will be ontop of Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant.

I currently have Hard Candy, and I was looking to match it with Rain Forest Rub. Would the soft wax be applied first, then the hard wax, or other way around......

Thanks for your help,

Kyle

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    S2000
    Yes, you can layer them over WG DGPS without a problem. Always apply very gently when layering....and you are correct, the hard wax is used as a "base" coat, and you'll want to top that with the soft wax for optimal results. Be sure to let Wolfgang cure for at least 12 hours before layering Dodo over it.

My Cars
    2000 Mroadster, 11 M3
    Yes, you can layer them over WG DGPS without a problem. Always apply very gently when layering....and you are correct, the hard wax is used as a "base" coat, and you'll want to top that with the soft wax for optimal results. Be sure to let Wolfgang cure for at least 12 hours before layering Dodo over it.

Is there any danger to applying wax without letting wolfgang cure? In a few days I am going to detail a few cars. I have both wolfgang sealant and dodo supernatural.
    Last edited by Zaf///Mroadster; 04-29-2009 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    S2000
    There won't be any harmful consequences, but WG may not last as long as it could.

My Cars
    97 328i, 03 530i
    Their is some of that glass marker stuff dried on my rubber moldings, is their any way to get it off?

My Cars
    Any rubber and vinyl cleaner and a soft bristle brush should do it.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    97 328i, 03 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan@autogeek View Post
    Any rubber and vinyl cleaner and a soft bristle brush should do it.
    Is their any particular product you recommend? Looking on your website I only see stuff to protect the rubber/vinyl.

My Cars
    Pinnacle makes a Vinyl Cleaner, Duragloss makes a All Purpose Cleaner, DP Total Interior Cleaner, Optimum Power Clean.... I will give you a link to where you can find most all of these.
    http://www.autogeek.net/rubbervinyl.html
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    2000 Mroadster, 11 M3
    How do I know when its time to get new pads? Visual wear or x number of uses?

My Cars
    S2000
    I use my pads until they start falling apart...whether it's the backing coming off, or chunks of foam flying off.

My Cars
    2000 Mroadster, 11 M3
    Awesome, thanks.

My Cars
    98 540i automatic

Thoughts on Polymer sealers

I was wondering what your thoughts are on Polymer sealants. I have always used Liquid Glass and been very happy with it, but I was never doing the level of detailing that this forum covers. It finally got to the point where only Pep boys was carrying LG in my area, and now they aren't even stocking it anymore. I now have a 98 540i in Alpine White that has a very clean body. I want to try doing everything I can to make it cleaner/glossier and keep it that way. I have very minor swirling and I am planning on buying a PC 7424 starter kit, but wondering if I can still use polymer type sealers, or is wax really the way to go? I always liked the polymers because they would last me through the winter if I got a couple good coats on before it turned cold and I didn't have to be in the shade to use them. My bro-in-law says to use Nu Finish. Just wondering what your thoughts are on these products, plus or minus.
    KevKaos
    BMW CCA MEMBER 419290

My Cars
    M
    Can I use microfiber detergent to wash polishing pads?

My Cars
    Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by plixie View Post
    thanks will give it a try!
    Can you let us now if this stuff worked to clear up your plastic window?

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
    I was wondering what your thoughts are on Polymer sealants. I have always used Liquid Glass and been very happy with it, but I was never doing the level of detailing that this forum covers. It finally got to the point where only Pep boys was carrying LG in my area, and now they aren't even stocking it anymore. I now have a 98 540i in Alpine White that has a very clean body. I want to try doing everything I can to make it cleaner/glossier and keep it that way. I have very minor swirling and I am planning on buying a PC 7424 starter kit, but wondering if I can still use polymer type sealers, or is wax really the way to go? I always liked the polymers because they would last me through the winter if I got a couple good coats on before it turned cold and I didn't have to be in the shade to use them. My bro-in-law says to use Nu Finish. Just wondering what your thoughts are on these products, plus or minus.
    Synthetics are generally easier to use and longer lasting, but don't provide as much in the looks department as a carnauba. The exception to this is Wolfgang, which looks awesome, is very easy to use and is long lasting.

Nu Finish is garbage, and Liquid Glass is a solid product, but old technology.

Quote Originally Posted by itciai View Post
    Can I use microfiber detergent to wash polishing pads?
    Yes, no harm there.
    Last edited by Matt@Autogeek; 05-19-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    The exception to this is Wolfgang, which looks awesome, is very easy to use and is long lasting.
    Can you tell me what Wolfgang product you are referring to? So far, I have no experience with them at all.
    KevKaos
    BMW CCA MEMBER 419290

My Cars
    S2000
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast