Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    1992 535
    how do you get rid of that sun baked stuff.

my spoiler has some sun sunburn on it and it looks like (correct me if i am wrong) the clear coat is kinda flaking off. I can actually use my fingernail and flake it off.
    thanks in advance.
    chris

My Cars
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycrease View Post
    how do you get rid of that sun baked stuff.

my spoiler has some sun sunburn on it and it looks like (correct me if i am wrong) the clear coat is kinda flaking off. I can actually use my fingernail and flake it off.
    thanks in advance.
    chris
    If your clearcoat is flaking off, you're screwed. You need to get it repainted!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i 4Dr
    Have anyone used the 5 star shine formula? like it isn't wax, it is used by Nasa/Navy and so on? I like to get my car clean again just wanting to see what the best product is out there.
    "To make dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is dream... Peace & Love" - Nacho

My Cars
    '99 Cosmos M3
    I'm no autogeek but washer & dryer seem to suffice
    Quote Originally Posted by itciai View Post
    AutoGeek! You own my soul!

Now answer my question!
    I was cleaning up my car and was getting ready to take a layer of wax off of it, went to pick up a new microfiber, but when I lifted on the top cloth, two others fell out of the box that they were in.
    So, my question: What do I do about microfibers that have landed(and are covered) in mulch? Is there a special comb that I can buy to get the mulch out of all of the microfiber strands and make it like new again, or am I screwed?
    Honestly, this seems to be happening more and more, so I just thought I'd ask on the off-chance that you guys sell something that I overlooked or missed, or if there was some common advice out there that I never got.

Thanks!
    99 Cosmos ///M3/2

NJ

My Cars
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by rd99m3 View Post
    I'm no autogeek but washer & dryer seem to suffice
    Tried it. The pieces of mulch just latch on to the rest of the microfibers that I washed. So... I'm just glad I chose to wash a small load of my nastiest microfibers together, because now I've got about 7 microfibers that are covered in mulch.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by itciai View Post
    Tried it. The pieces of mulch just latch on to the rest of the microfibers that I washed. So... I'm just glad I chose to wash a small load of my nastiest microfibers together, because now I've got about 7 microfibers that are covered in mulch.
    hairbrush? might work. haven't tried it myself though.

My Cars
    S2000
    I've had that happen before. The loop in microfiber towels tends to get a death grip on little wood chips...the only solution is to sit there and meticulously pick out each piece by hand.

My Cars
    95 1jz m3
    I've got an alpine white 325is thats starting to show its 310k mileage. Overall the paint is in fairly decent shape but i would like to get rid of the swirl marks. I've never done any paint cleaning other than wash/wax/hand polish. What would be the best product for me? Preferably something that i cannot mess up my paint with.

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by dcskate102 View Post
    I've got an alpine white 325is thats starting to show its 310k mileage. Overall the paint is in fairly decent shape but i would like to get rid of the swirl marks. I've never done any paint cleaning other than wash/wax/hand polish. What would be the best product for me? Preferably something that i cannot mess up my paint with.
    310k?! WOW!

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html

My Cars
    95 1jz m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Autogeek View Post
    310k is right. Car can still beat newer 325'ers too (all done on the strip).
    Thanks i should be buying in the next couple days.

My Cars
    92 Legend Coupe; 00 BMW E39; 95 Mercedes W140
    what is the best product to use on my wheel?

Maya STM, Polished Lip with Clear Coat...

I also have some scratches on there from when i wiped them down... there were some small pebbles on there.... scraaaatched them....

Mother's suggested a their Plastic Polish.... and their powerball w/ scratch remover compound... i just want to know if this is safe, and if there's another product recommended....

another person also suggested using Rejex? apparently used on airplanes and stuff... nothing will stick to it...

please let me know if you can help... thanx!

hooRAH is offline Certified Ziptie Mechanic
    My Cars
    01 330Ci 5spd
    I know I have a separate thread for this, but I thought I would post it here as well. Hope you don't mind.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a 2 hour level of detailing, something along the lines of washing, claybaring the more necessary areas (grille, mirrors, spots), and a single coat of wax, polish, or maybe some combination. I'm sorry if the idea of a 2 hour detail is considered a half-ass job, but seeing as I haven't waxed this car EVER because I can't find the time to commit 5-8 hours, I thought I might be more realistic. The 2 hours doesn't have to include the interior, because I can typically devote an hour once a week to vacuuming/cleaning the interior at a separate time.
    01 330Ci 5spd / 07 Honda Pilot EX-L
    Will read/reset SRS codes in South Florida for beer money

My Cars
    S2000
    Mother's suggested a their Plastic Polish.... and their powerball w/ scratch remover compound... i just want to know if this is safe, and if there's another product recommended....

That should work well. Take a look at Mothers PowerBall Mini for tight areas.

another person also suggested using Rejex? apparently used on airplanes and stuff... nothing will stick to it...

Since wheels get so hot, I would suggest using a product designed for wheels that is designed to take the heat. My choice would be DP Wheel Glaze.

Quote Originally Posted by hooRAH View Post
    I know I have a separate thread for this, but I thought I would post it here as well. Hope you don't mind.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a 2 hour level of detailing, something along the lines of washing, claybaring the more necessary areas (grille, mirrors, spots), and a single coat of wax, polish, or maybe some combination. I'm sorry if the idea of a 2 hour detail is considered a half-ass job, but seeing as I haven't waxed this car EVER because I can't find the time to commit 5-8 hours, I thought I might be more realistic. The 2 hours doesn't have to include the interior, because I can typically devote an hour once a week to vacuuming/cleaning the interior at a separate time.
    Using a machine polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 or the Flex XC3401 will save you lots of time when it comes to polishing and waxing and they will provide better results than doing by hand.

Keep in mind, I would spend more time if it was possible. If I was pressed for time and only had 3 hours to work on your car's exterior, this is a possible scenario:

Clean wheels, tires, wheel wells 30 minutes
    Wash and dry car 30 minutes
    Detailing clay 30 minutes
    Tape off all trim 10 minutes
    Machine polish 45 minutes
    Apply wax 35 minutes
    Last edited by Matt@Autogeek; 11-18-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    92 Legend Coupe; 00 BMW E39; 95 Mercedes W140
    thanx for your help, Matt!

My Cars
    325i
    I recently bought myself a 95 325i, it's a forest green color, but it's got some scratches on it and because of the dark color they're very noticable, whats the best way to get rid of them or cover them up?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    ^ Depends what kind of scratches. Light stuff, just use one of these detail kits that people begin with (PC7424 or the like). Deeper, larger scratches will probably need touch up paint.

Matt, do you guys still have the UDM?

My Cars
    '03 M3 6MT / '06 X5 3.0i
    I just bough a Schwarz Black M3, paint is in good condition and clean, no rock chips, but it looks like they dried it with an old terry towel before I picked it up.

There are very tiny swirls everywhere. What polish do you recommend?

I plan on using Poorboys EX-P as a sealant with XMT 180 on top. I need a polish (going to be using an orange pad.

And also, I have glass headlights that are a bit scratched...how can I clear up the glass?

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Two '97 M3 with 175K and 145K miles and a 1990 300ZX with 210K - swirls, scratches, and chips - is this the best kit for me? Anything else I should add to the order?

I'm not sure what the best polisher is nowadays. Can I use them all as sanders (not for the car obviously) also?

My Cars
    335 E92, Z3 1.9, Land Rover DiscoII

Suggestions for a starting package

Matt,
    I have always been an avid care person I believe that your car is a reflection of yourself and keeping it looking its best shows your attention to detail.
    I currently have a polish master 2000 orbital buffer with microfiber bonnets which i use to apply and remove product. I normally use Meguairs gold class, and their white clay if needed. My clean up schedule is weekly with waxing every other wash.
    I want to upgrade to equipment and products that will give me the professional finish. I have seen where most all of you guys are using a orbital like the porter cable, or flex with foam pads. Will you suggest which one of these would be best and what pads I should get as well seeing as I have no idea what pads do what.
    Next, what polishes and wax/glaze/sealants (please school me like a first grader if you have time) should I be using with this machine. To clean the wheels and tail pipes I use the same Meguiars gold class wash I use on the car, is there a different product I should be using.
    I don’t mind putting in the time I normally spend 5-6 hours doing my normal clean up. I have decided if I’m going to put in the time I ought to be using the correct tools and products.
    Could you put together a wish list for me and that way I have a jumping point and then i can use these forums for technique with the pads.

Thank you in advance

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by RuslanB614 View Post
    I recently bought myself a 95 325i, it's a forest green color, but it's got some scratches on it and because of the dark color they're very noticable, whats the best way to get rid of them or cover them up?
    I'd go for Meguiar's #105, either by hand (suicide if you're doing the whole car - better do it over a weekend at least), or with a PC 7424 as mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
    ^ Depends what kind of scratches. Light stuff, just use one of these detail kits that people begin with (PC7424 or the like). Deeper, larger scratches will probably need touch up paint.

Matt, do you guys still have the UDM?
    Nope, no more UDMs. Look into the Meguiar's G110 which is very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by eavusm3 View Post
    I just bough a Schwarz Black M3, paint is in good condition and clean, no rock chips, but it looks like they dried it with an old terry towel before I picked it up.

There are very tiny swirls everywhere. What polish do you recommend?

I plan on using Poorboys EX-P as a sealant with XMT 180 on top. I need a polish (going to be using an orange pad.

And also, I have glass headlights that are a bit scratched...how can I clear up the glass?
    For the glass lights, have a look at the Diamondite Resurfacing Creme.

For your swirls, to do it right I would go with Wolfgang TSR 3.0 + Orange pad, followed by Wolfgang FG 3.0 + Green pad.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
    Two '97 M3 with 175K and 145K miles and a 1990 300ZX with 210K - swirls, scratches, and chips - is this the best kit for me? Anything else I should add to the order?

I'm not sure what the best polisher is nowadays. Can I use them all as sanders (not for the car obviously) also?
    That is a great kit and will tackle 90% of jobs out there For anything that kit won't remove, I usually reach for Meguiar's #105 and an orange or yellow pad. Yes, you can use the PC 7424 as a DA sander which is its original intent.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerh94 View Post
    Matt,
    I have always been an avid care person I believe that your car is a reflection of yourself and keeping it looking its best shows your attention to detail.
    I currently have a polish master 2000 orbital buffer with microfiber bonnets which i use to apply and remove product. I normally use Meguairs gold class, and their white clay if needed. My clean up schedule is weekly with waxing every other wash.
    I want to upgrade to equipment and products that will give me the professional finish. I have seen where most all of you guys are using a orbital like the porter cable, or flex with foam pads. Will you suggest which one of these would be best and what pads I should get as well seeing as I have no idea what pads do what.
    Next, what polishes and wax/glaze/sealants (please school me like a first grader if you have time) should I be using with this machine. To clean the wheels and tail pipes I use the same Meguiars gold class wash I use on the car, is there a different product I should be using.
    I don’t mind putting in the time I normally spend 5-6 hours doing my normal clean up. I have decided if I’m going to put in the time I ought to be using the correct tools and products.
    Could you put together a wish list for me and that way I have a jumping point and then i can use these forums for technique with the pads.

Thank you in advance

Have a look at the Wolfgang kit already mentioned in this post - http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html

The buffer you're using does not come anywhere close to the PC 7424. If you're looking to take your detailing regimen to the next level, this is the way to go.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Awww. Why was the UDM discontinued?
    I'll look into the Megs now.
    Would you say it's on about the same level as the UDM (as far as how it compares to the 7424, being a slightly more powerful version of it)?
    Last edited by Eddie916; 12-03-2008 at 06:07 AM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
    Awww. Why was the UDM discontinued?
    I'll look into the Megs now.
    Would you say it's on about the same level as the UDM (as far as how it compares to the 7424, being a slightly more powerful version of it)?
    Meguiars Polisher is very comparable to the UDM, but if you are looking for a great polisher you should really look at the Flex!
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    I'm in the market for a buffer and starter kit. I've never used one and I'd like to start on my E34. I'm also planning as a Christmas present to buff out my father's '01 740iL, which has some pretty deep scratches (can feel a bit w/ fingernail) that I'm hoping to minimize.

What kit do I purchase? I'll only be doing BMWs, with the E34 having MAJOR swirls and a bit of oxidation...the paint is a bit dull.
    -Denton

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan@autogeek View Post
    Meguiars Polisher is very comparable to the UDM, but if you are looking for a great polisher you should really look at the Flex!
    But the Flex is over $150 more!
    Maybe after I get used to using the Megs or PC.

My Cars
    2000/E-39 528IT

Smile Letherique

Im restoring my vader on my car and I need to use a crack filler,dye and all the works.Do you have a kit with all the items needed for the job? Do the kit comes with instructions?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast