Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    01 Blk/Blk E38 Sport

Dried Compound

What is the best product to use to remove dried on compound or wax?

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    What are your thoughts on the Adams product line? I'm a novice detailer and have only ever experienced Adams. Should I try the Meguiars DA polishes and waxes?

Thanks
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

Nick@Autogeek is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by neep8 View Post
    What is the best product to use to remove dried on compound or wax?
    I've had great success with Duragloss Wax Eraser.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Adams product line? I'm a novice detailer and have only ever experienced Adams. Should I try the Meguiars DA polishes and waxes?

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with Adams Car Car Products, but I have tried just about every Meguiar's product out there and you certainly can't go wrong with them.

Meguiars Car Care Products

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215
    Facebook--iPhone Apps-- Autogeek Toolbar-- YouTube Channel

Use coupon code Clubmember to save 10% off your next order

My Cars
    E46
    Can you use a 5.5 inch pad on a 4 inch backing plate on a Porter Cable 7424xp or should I buy a 5 inch backing plate?

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBMW94 View Post
    Can you use a 5.5 inch pad on a 4 inch backing plate on a Porter Cable 7424xp or should I buy a 5 inch backing plate?
    I'd go with a 5" backing plate for a 5.5" pad. 4" is too small and might cut into the backing material if an excess amount of pressure is applied.

Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    e30-s50,e30M3-s52, e92M3
    Trying to get some serious brake dust off my Fikse track wheels.

They have painted centers and a non painted polished alum lip.

I've been told some of the harsher chemicals to eat the brake dust may damage the paint.

Any advice?

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by audd View Post
    Trying to get some serious brake dust off my Fikse track wheels.

They have painted centers and a non painted polished alum lip.

I've been told some of the harsher chemicals to eat the brake dust may damage the paint.

Any advice?

I would recommend SONAX Full Effect. This is the strongest wheel cleaner available and it is safe for all wheel finishes. I would NOT recommend letting it dwell too long on the polished lip just to be on the safe side.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect 16.9 oz.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    e30-s50,e30M3-s52, e92M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I would recommend SONAX Full Effect. This is the strongest wheel cleaner available and it is safe for all wheel finishes. I would NOT recommend letting it dwell too long on the polished lip just to be on the safe side.

Will give it a try, thanks!

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    Whats the best clay bar kit?

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaSECABLU View Post
    Whats the best clay bar kit?
    What kind of condition is your vehicle in and what are you trying to accomplish? Clay bars come in a wide variety of different grades from super fine to super aggressive.

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - Fine grade (for vehicles that are very well maintained)

Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay Bundle - Medium grade (for daily drivers that sit outside 24/7)

BLACKFIRE Poly Clay & Lubricant Combo - Medium/aggressive (for severely neglected vehicles/paint over spray)
    Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 08-24-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    1995/6 318, 323, 325iC

Exclamation The dreaded dull convertible rear window e36

I have the dreaded faded ugly non see through back plastic window on my e36. Thing is the rest of it is in great condition and i really dont want to get this wrong. Can someone Please tell me what the best product/process is in getting it new again? I have a buffer if thats needed. Im also in Australia if anyone can help me with local products but willing to purchase world wide for the best one.

p.s. Hope i posted this in the right place!!

My Cars
    1995/6 318, 323, 325iC
    a little help!!

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by meowmaster View Post
    I have the dreaded faded ugly non see through back plastic window on my e36. Thing is the rest of it is in great condition and i really dont want to get this wrong. Can someone Please tell me what the best product/process is in getting it new again? I have a buffer if thats needed. Im also in Australia if anyone can help me with local products but willing to purchase world wide for the best one.

p.s. Hope i posted this in the right place!!
    Check out the Flitz Plastic Window & Fiberglass Restoration Kit. This kit includes everything you need to restore the plastic window on your BMW.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Do you have any advice for trying to remove pecan tree sap? Had a tree above my drive that rained pecans all over my car and having a hard time getting the sap off.

Thanks

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by joose2 View Post
    Do you have any advice for trying to remove pecan tree sap? Had a tree above my drive that rained pecans all over my car and having a hard time getting the sap off.

Thanks
    Two options:

Medium grade clay bar - BLACKFIRE Poly Clay & Lubricant Combo

Chemical cleaner - Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

In most cases a clay bar works best but depending on how long the sap has been on there, a chemical cleaner might do the trick.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Xi
    What are the best products and procedures for cleaning and shining up the headlights and taillights?

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by turq93t View Post
    What are the best products and procedures for cleaning and shining up the headlights and taillights?

Check out this kit: Diamondite® Clear Plastic System Kit For plastic headlight lenses

[ame]http://youtu.be/VvAOpx6qMcs[/ame]

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    I have an Alpine White 1985 BMW 735i in excellent condition. It's a CA car and has no rust or sun spots and the clear coat is still intact. Although the car is almost 30 years old, I would say it only has moderate "spider webs" in the paint, but still in very good condition.

What specific products would you suggest for a detail on a budget? I already have a PC7424 and several different pads.

Which Polish? Seal or Wax?

My Cars
    2013 535i
    I just bought a 2013 535i. First car I've purchased in 15 years. Super Excited about the car and looking to keep it in beautiful condition. It's titanium silver with black interior. It's about 2 weeks old from the dealer.

What full list of supplies are a must have in a good car cleaning setup. What would you recommend I purchase so that I can "properly" care for my new car's finish? Or where should I begin? I pretty much have nothing and I'm looking for an experts "must" have list of things to buy and things to do. There's so much info on the web on products and things to buy, it's mind numbing.

I'm a neat freak with the things I own and definitely take pride in taking care of my things the right way...so I'm hoping I've come to the right thread

Thanks in advance for links, tips etc.

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
    I have an Alpine White 1985 BMW 735i in excellent condition. It's a CA car and has no rust or sun spots and the clear coat is still intact. Although the car is almost 30 years old, I would say it only has moderate "spider webs" in the paint, but still in very good condition.

What specific products would you suggest for a detail on a budget? I already have a PC7424 and several different pads.

Which Polish? Seal or Wax?
    I'd recommend Wolfgang polishes. They will work especially well with your vehicle's older finish.

You can do a simple three-step approach:

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by hammerspoon View Post
    I just bought a 2013 535i. First car I've purchased in 15 years. Super Excited about the car and looking to keep it in beautiful condition. It's titanium silver with black interior. It's about 2 weeks old from the dealer.

What full list of supplies are a must have in a good car cleaning setup. What would you recommend I purchase so that I can "properly" care for my new car's finish? Or where should I begin? I pretty much have nothing and I'm looking for an experts "must" have list of things to buy and things to do. There's so much info on the web on products and things to buy, it's mind numbing.

I'm a neat freak with the things I own and definitely take pride in taking care of my things the right way...so I'm hoping I've come to the right thread

Thanks in advance for links, tips etc.
    Sounds like a lot of great questions. I'd check out our Detailing How-To Guides. These guides will help you narrow down product selection based on the various aspects of car care and detailing (interior care, paint polishing, etc). We also have a huge library of how-to videos on our YouTube channel.

If you have any questions from there, give us a call!

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    2013 535i

Thanks for the great links

Nick....great links. Exactly what I was looking for. The site is concise and super user friendly. I'll be busy reading. Thanks a bunch.

My Cars
    2013 535i

Quick ? on best practices

Is it a good idea to wash in the same wash all microclothes together (blue, yellows, green window cloths)? Or is it best to do a couple smaller loads?

Also when cleaning wheels and tires...should these be cleaned with a spray wheel cleaner every time or depending on how dirty they are is car wash solution enough? (obviously rinsing and cleaning buckets out before doing the body etc)

Lastly, my car is new and came, I think waxed from dealer? or BMW? at what point should new wax be applied if vehicle is usually clean with washing being done every 7-10 days. How long should i wait to reapply a new coat of wax or whats the best way to tell?

Thanks in advance autogeek
    Last edited by hammerspoon; 11-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.

My Cars
    Honda
    Is it a good idea to wash in the same wash all microclothes together (blue, yellows, green window cloths)? Or is it best to do a couple smaller loads?
    I generally separate towels based on their use: ie: polish removal clothes, glass towels, drying towels, etc. This ensures no cross contamination occurs.

Also when cleaning wheels and tires...should these be cleaned with a spray wheel cleaner every time or depending on how dirty they are is car wash solution enough? (obviously rinsing and cleaning buckets out before doing the body etc)
    On my daily driver I give the wheels a thorough cleaning with a strong wheel cleaner, like Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner, then apply a dedicated wheel sealant like Detailer's Wheel Glaze. The latter provides a super slick coating so brake dust, dirt and road grime doesn't stick to the wheel. That way, when you wash the vehicle, you'll only need soap and water. It's only an added bonus that Detailer's Wheel Glaze amps up the shine on the wheels too. Both of these products are safe for all wheel finishes.

Lastly, my car is new and came, I think waxed from dealer? or BMW? at what point should new wax be applied if vehicle is usually clean with washing being done every 7-10 days. How long should i wait to reapply a new coat of wax or whats the best way to tell?

Thanks in advance autogeek
    Usually the dealership applies an inexpensive wax that quickly wears off. When the vehicle gets wet and there are no longer tight water beads, but rather large, flat pools of water, that's when you know it's time to re-apply a wax or sealant.

Check out our guide How To Wax Your Car

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    2013 535i

Wheel cleaner and sealant every wash?

So do you apply the wheel cleaner and sealant every time before a wash? Or less frequently with say a wax and then just wash tires/wheels between waxing etc?

My Cars
    Honda
    So do you apply the wheel cleaner and sealant every time before a wash? Or less frequently with say a wax and then just wash tires/wheels between waxing etc?
    After you thoroughly clean the wheels with the wheel cleaner and apply a coat or two of the sealant, you'll only need soap and water to clean the wheels for several months. Once the coating wears off, thoroughly clean the wheels again using the wheel cleaner and then reapply the sealant.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast