Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    M3
    Got two questions:

1) What do you use for the dash/instrument area(AC controls/radio/etc) without leaving all greasy looking?

2) I just got a used car and noticed that the hood and bumper have some heavy pitting in the clear coat/paint from daily driving. Is it possible to smooth out all the pits with polishing and a heavy duty detail job?

Thanks!!

Nick@Autogeek is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by TBM311 View Post
    Got two questions:

1) What do you use for the dash/instrument area(AC controls/radio/etc) without leaving all greasy looking?

2) I just got a used car and noticed that the hood and bumper have some heavy pitting in the clear coat/paint from daily driving. Is it possible to smooth out all the pits with polishing and a heavy duty detail job?

Thanks!!
    1. Check out 303 Aerospace Protectant. It will leave a natural finish or a glossy finish if desired.

2. Generally for something like that, sanding is going to be required. But you have to decide if you want to risk sanding because factory paint is usually very thin.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215
    Facebook--iPhone Apps-- Autogeek Toolbar-- YouTube Channel

Use coupon code Clubmember to save 10% off your next order

My Cars
    M3
    What are the draw risks of sanding? Is it something a detailer can take care of or is it done in a body shop?

Thanks!

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by TBM311 View Post
    What are the draw risks of sanding? Is it something a detailer can take care of or is it done in a body shop?

Thanks!
    You can do it yourself, but the thing to remember is that factory paint is very, very thin.

We have quite a few how-to guides pertaining to wet sanding and spot repair, check out our online detailing forum, Autogeekonline.net

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    e39 540i 528iT, 2x 325iC
    Hey Nick,

Recommendations please for getting started with a couple ten year old BMWs, in silver and tan. Paint generally in good shape, no horror stories, but neglected here in Texas. Sealant seems better for me, I can't commit to a full wax regime regularly. Need to blacken some faded exterior trim as well. Which PC buffer kit would you recommend?

Thanks -

Greg

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc90 View Post
    Hey Nick,

Recommendations please for getting started with a couple ten year old BMWs, in silver and tan. Paint generally in good shape, no horror stories, but neglected here in Texas. Sealant seems better for me, I can't commit to a full wax regime regularly. Need to blacken some faded exterior trim as well. Which PC buffer kit would you recommend?

Thanks -

Greg
    Greg,

We recently overhauled the Blackfire line, and we now have Porter Cable Blackfire kits available. I'd recommend the Blackfire Porter Cable Swirl Free kit to restore the paint and Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant for all the exterior plastic/rubber/vinyl trim.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    e39 540i 528iT, 2x 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Greg,

We recently overhauled the Blackfire line, and we now have Porter Cable Blackfire kits available. I'd recommend the Blackfire Porter Cable Swirl Free kit to restore the paint and Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant for all the exterior plastic/rubber/vinyl trim.
    Thanks, will get online and order tonight. What's the best way to treat the black metal vertical items at the edges of my doors, around the windows? On my e39 wagon they are slightly faded.

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc90 View Post
    Thanks, will get online and order tonight. What's the best way to treat the black metal vertical items at the edges of my doors, around the windows? On my e39 wagon they are slightly faded.
    Wenol is real popular for treating various types of metal trim.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I just read about Iron X and ordered some, along with other things and I was wondering, how often should Iron X be used? Also it says to wipe it off with a damp sponge. Would washing, spraying with Iron X and washing again be acceptable to remove it?

Thanks

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    I just read about Iron X and ordered some, along with other things and I was wondering, how often should Iron X be used? Also it says to wipe it off with a damp sponge. Would washing, spraying with Iron X and washing again be acceptable to remove it?

Thanks
    Iron X should be used about twice a year to keep your paint free of iron contaminants.

Regarding the application, you're correct.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    Infiniti 37Xs sedan

Brand new car!what do I use?

Just bought a new Honda 2012 crv for the wife. My q is I'm sure I don't need to clay or polish brand new paint but what would u use for A brand new car. Sealant or just wax ?

I've been reading lots on blackfires new product lineup but I never read posts on brand new cars paints

I've looked into products made by pinnacle, Klasse, wolfgang and blackfire. Which line, kit or products would u think would work best for my car
    Last edited by onefast944turbo; 02-18-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by onefast944turbo View Post
    Just bought a new Honda 2012 crv for the wife. My q is I'm sure I don't need to clay or polish brand new paint but what would u use for A brand new car. Sealant or just wax ?

I've been reading lots on blackfires new product lineup but I never read posts on brand new cars paints

I've looked into products made by pinnacle, Klasse, wolfgang and blackfire. Which line, kit or products would u think would work best for my car
    Even though the vehicle is "new", doesn't mean the paint is squeaky clean. I would recommend using a non-abrasive polish, such as Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, followed by a quality paint sealant, such as Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. If you want to take the shine to another level, apply a coat of Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax on top of the sealant.

The Blackfire line was recently revamped, check it out below.

Blackfire Car Care Products

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    Infiniti 37Xs sedan
    U still recommend me claying and ironx'n the auto also?

Last edited by onefast944turbo; 02-20-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335is Coupe
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2011 335is Coupe in Aspen white. I've always enjoyed washing my car, but can't help but feel I could be doing a better job if I used the right products and tools. I'm familiar with general claybar, washing and waxing techniques... but really want to keep that "show room" on my 335is and make it last as long as possible. I will be ordering from your website.

If it were your car, how would you do it and what would you buy to do it?

My question for you is this: What products do I need to take my detailing skills to the next level? What order should I do them in, and how often?

so...

Wash products (safe wheel cleaners as well) , Drying products, Waxes and waxing tools, Polishing and polishing tools, Interior detailing?

Details about the car:

Mileage: Low miles, 7,000 and san fransico, california owned
    Car: 2011 BMW 335is Coupe
    Color: Aspen White w/ 3M clear bra
    Wheels: OEM aluminum (machined and painted finish)
    Interior: Black carpet, Black anthracite headliners and pillars, Black Dakota Leather door cards and seats, black plastic dash and interior trim pieces, Aluminum interior trim.

I know this is a lot of info!! I'd really appreciate an opinion from a pro! I don't mind spending the money on the proper products if it's whats needed. PM me a list if you can, I want to order ASAP! Thanks so much!!

-Collin
    Last edited by 335POWERRRR; 02-21-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    2011 BMW 335is Coupe

My Cars
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Even though the vehicle is "new", doesn't mean the paint is squeaky clean. I would recommend using a non-abrasive polish, such as Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, followed by a quality paint sealant, such as Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. If you want to take the shine to another level, apply a coat of Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax on top of the sealant.

The Blackfire line was recently revamped, check it out below.

Blackfire Car Care Products
    I was just reading the discussion of claying a new car. I got my Lamans Blue 335is convertible two months ago. SO far have just been using Optimum's No-Rinse Washing and Instant Detailer on her. I have some Opti-seal thinking I should give it a sealant after the next good wash. However, now I'm wondering if sealant is premature and should clay and maybe polish or wax beforehand.

I live in the Chicago area. Hoping winter is over but know better!
    Last edited by Bluejay3; 02-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by onefast944turbo View Post

Absolutely. Iron X will remove ferrous iron particles and clay will remove above surface contaminants, leaving the surface squeaky clean and ready for polishing or waxing.

Quote Originally Posted by 335POWERRRR View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2011 335is Coupe in Aspen white. I've always enjoyed washing my car, but can't help but feel I could be doing a better job if I used the right products and tools. I'm familiar with general claybar, washing and waxing techniques... but really want to keep that "show room" on my 335is and make it last as long as possible. I will be ordering from your website.

If it were your car, how would you do it and what would you buy to do it?

My question for you is this: What products do I need to take my detailing skills to the next level? What order should I do them in, and how often?

so...

Wash products (safe wheel cleaners as well) , Drying products, Waxes and waxing tools, Polishing and polishing tools, Interior detailing?

Details about the car:

Mileage: Low miles, 7,000 and san fransico, california owned
    Car: 2011 BMW 335is Coupe
    Color: Aspen White w/ 3M clear bra
    Wheels: OEM aluminum (machined and painted finish)
    Interior: Black carpet, Black anthracite headliners and pillars, Black Dakota Leather door cards and seats, black plastic dash and interior trim pieces, Aluminum interior trim.

I know this is a lot of info!! I'd really appreciate an opinion from a pro! I don't mind spending the money on the proper products if it's whats needed. PM me a list if you can, I want to order ASAP! Thanks so much!!

-Collin
    Collin,

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! All of your questions are answered in our free detailing how-to guides. You will find a how-to guide that covers every aspect of car care, inside and out. These guides also include product highlights and the best way to use each product for its intended use.

Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay3 View Post
    I was just reading the discussion of claying a new car. I got my Lamans Blue 335is convertible two months ago. SO far have just been using Optimum's No-Rinse Washing and Instant Detailer on her. I have some Opti-seal thinking I should give it a sealant after the next good wash. However, now I'm wondering if sealant is premature and should clay and maybe polish or wax beforehand.

I live in the Chicago area. Hoping winter is over but know better!
    Even if the vehicle is fairly new doesn't mean the paint is clean. I would always recommend claying the vehicle and at least using a non-abrasive polish before application of a wax or sealant. Remember, gloss comes from clean paint!

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    '86 635
    Any advice on a particular product to remove imbedded brake pad by-product, on a severely neglected set of wheels?
    This is the worst of the set, and there is material from the backing plates of the pads imbedded on the surface. I test cleaned a area with soap, and it looks like I just need a extra little kick to get the rest off.

My Cars
    Honda
    Whoa! Those aren't pretty, but I've seen worse believe it or not.

The most effective product I've found for removing heavy iron deposits on wheels is CarPro Iron X Paste.

Granted your wheels are a little more on the extreme side, you can get an idea of how well it works below.

It's going to take time and patience, but Iron X Paste should do the trick.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    2009 BMW M3 Convertible
    Looking for a suggestion for my 2009 M3 convertible. Paint on it is good. I have a few minor swirls. I plan on claying the car. What should I use to remove the swirls to prep it for polishing? I am a fan of the Klasse products and would use Klasee AIO after swirls are removed.
    To get that deep wet look, what should I use after the Klasse AIO. I have use Klasse sealant, but want a deeper wet look. Is there a wax or another product you recommend?

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by docwells View Post
    Looking for a suggestion for my 2009 M3 convertible. Paint on it is good. I have a few minor swirls. I plan on claying the car. What should I use to remove the swirls to prep it for polishing? I am a fan of the Klasse products and would use Klasee AIO after swirls are removed.
    To get that deep wet look, what should I use after the Klasse AIO. I have use Klasse sealant, but want a deeper wet look. Is there a wax or another product you recommend?
    The Klasse line of products are top notch, but if you're looking to remove swirls and other paint defects, you will need an abrasive polish along with a dual action polisher.

To remove the swirls, I would recommend Wolfgang polishes, specifically Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze. Use these two products in conjunction with a DA polisher, such as the Porter Cable 7424xp, and your paint will be flawless and ready for application of the Klasse products.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    I was just wondering how hard it is for a dual action polisher to go through the clear coat. Would it take a heavy abrasive and me sitting on the machine to do some damage or can I use it properly and not worry about hurting my cars paintjob?

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
    I was just wondering how hard it is for a dual action polisher to go through the clear coat. Would it take a heavy abrasive and me sitting on the machine to do some damage or can I use it properly and not worry about hurting my cars paintjob?
    You're going to have to leave it in the same spot for like 5 minutes to do any damage.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
    Like anything else, when not used properly, damage can occur. The only time you really have to worry about "burning paint" with a DA polisher is if you're using a heavy cutting pad and are buffing on the edge of VERY thin paint for an extended period of time.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    2000 323i
    So I have the Meguairs lineup which includes the claybar with the quick detailer...UC and UP and Scratch X 2.0. I under stand the order is Wash/Dry/Clay/UC/UP/wax but do i substitue the UC for SX 2.0 in the rougher areas or just spot treat with the SX 2.0 before the UP?

TIA

My Cars
    United States
    Spent Saturday:
    * Optimum No Rinse Wash
    * Meguiar's Clay
    * Optimum No Rinse Wash
    * Optimum Polish II
    * Meguiar's 205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish
    * Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Final Inspection
    * IPA
    * Optimum Opti Coat

Very happy with luster and sheen. Sitting here with can of Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax wondering if I should put it on top of Opti Coat for final protection layer. Any comment of putting wax on top of coat?

Pix (if they work):

Last edited by Bluejay3; 04-15-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Bluejay3

2012 335is Le Mans Blue Metallic Convertible/Leather Dakota Grey and Black
    • Navigation
    • BMW Assist
    • Cold Weather Package
    • Premium Package
    • 19" Style 313 Wheels
    • DCT
    • Comfort Access
    • Harmon Kardon
    • BMW Apps
    • Combox