Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by stateinspector View Post
    I bought my car used, but the seats looked brand new. But within a few months of my owning it, they've begun to get dirty, and it seems the dye in my jeans is staining the leather. What's the best way to clean this? Also, any way to prevent this in the future?
    I would try Leather Masters. Their products come in wipes to try out before you buy the full sized bottles, which can be pretty convenient. I've had great results using these two -

http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leath...ner-wipes.html

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-protection-wipes.html

The Strong Leather Cleaner wipes pull more dirt off leather than I've ever seen, and the Leather Protection Wipes leave a really nice, matte finish that stops you from sliding around in your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    If you mean you have black marks on the plastic parts, possibly from shoes hitting the trim, I'm interested in hearing how to remove the marks as well!
    http://www.autogeek.net/dp340.html
    Last edited by Matt@Autogeek; 01-04-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 BMW 745Li,99 Lexus Es
    Whats a good product to clean matte black wheels?

My Cars
    1996 Jeep Cherokee, 2006 Trailblazer Ext
    I pretty much don't own any paint reconditioning gear. I was looking at picking up a D/A kit but there were so many choices.

I've got a pearl white 2005 Infinity G35 that I'm going to sell, but the paint needs some work, due to being pretty neglected. What kit would you recommend?

My Cars
    01 330i Sedan
    Geek, what products do you recommend to keep cars clean after washing. I own a black 330i which you know can never stay clean. But It looks sooo great after a full polish/detail. I tried a generic california dust buster but regret doing so. I put more scratches back in. What has your experience been with the California Dust buster or is there a another method without spraying and wiping? It is garaged kept.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i

Restore leather colour

Hi Matt,

I just bought my 1st BMW, a 2000 E46 328i, a week or so ago now. The product I was using to clean the leather seats wasn't working very well, so I decided to try some rubbing alcohol! Big mistake. Instead of picking up the dirt, I went & rubbed off the leather dye! At first I didn't realize that I was removing the dye, I thought I was getting the dirt. Only when I rubbed all the way down to the bare leather (which was black) did I realize I was taking off the colour.

Do you have any suggestions so that I can restore the colour & reverse this catastrophe?

There are several other areas where the colour has come off, but these were not by my hands at least. I can take pics if you'd like.

PS. The original colour is a montana grey. I see the following code, N6TT associated with the leather in the original purchasing documentation (which the previous owner passed onto me as well).

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by RunItRed View Post
    Hi Matt,

I just bought my 1st BMW, a 2000 E46 328i, a week or so ago now. The product I was using to clean the leather seats wasn't working very well, so I decided to try some rubbing alcohol! Big mistake. Instead of picking up the dirt, I went & rubbed off the leather dye! At first I didn't realize that I was removing the dye, I thought I was getting the dirt. Only when I rubbed all the way down to the bare leather (which was black) did I realize I was taking off the colour.

Do you have any suggestions so that I can restore the colour & reverse this catastrophe?

There are several other areas where the colour has come off, but these were not by my hands at least. I can take pics if you'd like.

PS. The original colour is a montana grey. I see the following code, N6TT associated with the leather in the original purchasing documentation (which the previous owner passed onto me as well).
    You definitely want to get some type of coating back on the leather to keep it protected. Check out this link from Leatherique's web site. With some skill and patience this can be done yourself to save quite a bit of money, otherwise you are looking at a very costly repair.

http://www.leatherique.com/bmw-redye-project.html

You can also take this opportunity to fill/sand any cracks in the leather to restore a new, uniform appearance. You really don't have anything to lose (other than $$) in giving this a shot since the coating is already ruined, and the potential savings/reward makes it totally worth it IMO.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i

Thumbs up

I will look into this. Thanks, Matt

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl91762 View Post
    Geek, what products do you recommend to keep cars clean after washing. I own a black 330i which you know can never stay clean. But It looks sooo great after a full polish/detail. I tried a generic california dust buster but regret doing so. I put more scratches back in. What has your experience been with the California Dust buster or is there a another method without spraying and wiping? It is garaged kept.

A Quick Detailer and a soft Microfiber Towel or a California Car Duster would be the best thisng to use after washing a car to keep it clean. The California Car Duster is safe as long as the paint surface is not really dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by bolognablake View Post
    I pretty much don't own any paint reconditioning gear. I was looking at picking up a D/A kit but there were so many choices.

I've got a pearl white 2005 Infinity G35 that I'm going to sell, but the paint needs some work, due to being pretty neglected. What kit would you recommend?

I would go with the Detailers Choice Kit. The kit comes with the Porter Cable 7424xp, 5" DA Backing plate, A couple of pads, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and a couple of Microfiber Towels. Any questions call me at 1-800-869-3011 ext 205 http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html
    Last edited by Bobby Autogeek; 01-22-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Save 10% Coupon Code - CLUBMEMBER
    1-800-869-3011 ext 205

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Autogeek View Post
    I would try Leather Masters. Their products come in wipes to try out before you buy the full sized bottles, which can be pretty convenient. I've had great results using these two -

http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leath...ner-wipes.html

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-protection-wipes.html

The Strong Leather Cleaner wipes pull more dirt off leather than I've ever seen, and the Leather Protection Wipes leave a really nice, matte finish that stops you from sliding around in your seat.
    Well I tried the cleaning wipes, and they did a good job of cleaning the seat, but in doing so, I found out that the leather appears to be damaged (not from the wipes). I've included a picture and a close-up. Not sure where to go from here.

My Cars
    ñangara GT
    Are there any readily available products similar to the P21S wheel cleaner?
    The alternative must be safe on wheels, non-acid, etc...
    Thanks

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by stateinspector View Post
    Well I tried the cleaning wipes, and they did a good job of cleaning the seat, but in doing so, I found out that the leather appears to be damaged (not from the wipes). I've included a picture and a close-up. Not sure where to go from here.

The leather seat looks like it pulled dies out of cloths at one time? The more you clean and condition the seats that stain will slowly come out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by shellback View Post
    Are there any readily available products similar to the P21S wheel cleaner?
    The alternative must be safe on wheels, non-acid, etc...
    Thanks

Try the DP Wheel Cleaner. This is a great wheel cleaner and is very safe to use. http://www.autogeek.net/dp370.html
    Last edited by Bobby Autogeek; 02-05-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1-800-869-3011 ext 205

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i/ Manual
    Hi.
    What would be the best leather conditioner and protectant?

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
    Hi.
    What would be the best leather conditioner and protectant?

I like to use either the Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner and Leather Care Conditioner or the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean.

http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html
    http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-leather-combo.html
    1-800-869-3011 ext 205

My Cars
    1990 325iC
    Hey Autogeek, I JUST got my new 1990 325 convertible three days ago. The Zinnerberrot(red) paint is very bright, but the entire car is covered with layered swirl marks, as if someone tried detailing with a polisher and did something really wrong.

I wouldn't call them light swirls, but I wouldn't know if they are considered holograms either...I would say they are probably just some what heavy swirls. You can actually see the pattern the person used to try and finish over with their detail job...Almost parallel lines up and down the trunk.

Since I've never used a radial polisher, and only have done wash/wax jobs on my previous dodge.....What complete kit would you suggest for a first timer? I definitely need a polisher and was looking at the Porter cable 7224XP. But I think I may need a heavy duty or at least a medium cut polishing agent and wheel.

Knowing though I am not afraid to learn and I am going crazy seeing these swirls...I would love to buy the kit tonight with the free shipping, but that runs out in 30 minutes time and I don't know if I'll get a response before that.

I had my eye on the "Detailer choice" kit you referred a few posts ago, but that seems like it may be too much, or not exactly what I need.

How about the wolfgang porter cable kit? Or are both of these kits the same?

The swirls are so bad that I want them out pronto.....I thought of getting it detailed from a pro shop, but I am probably better off learning how, and saving money at the same time.....Unless you think if the swirls are bad enough to get it done professionally.

Nick@Autogeek is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Element77 View Post
    Hey Autogeek, I JUST got my new 1990 325 convertible three days ago. The Zinnerberrot(red) paint is very bright, but the entire car is covered with layered swirl marks, as if someone tried detailing with a polisher and did something really wrong.

I wouldn't call them light swirls, but I wouldn't know if they are considered holograms either...I would say they are probably just some what heavy swirls. You can actually see the pattern the person used to try and finish over with their detail job...Almost parallel lines up and down the trunk.

Since I've never used a radial polisher, and only have done wash/wax jobs on my previous dodge.....What complete kit would you suggest for a first timer? I definitely need a polisher and was looking at the Porter cable 7224XP. But I think I may need a heavy duty or at least a medium cut polishing agent and wheel.

Knowing though I am not afraid to learn and I am going crazy seeing these swirls...I would love to buy the kit tonight with the free shipping, but that runs out in 30 minutes time and I don't know if I'll get a response before that.

I had my eye on the "Detailer choice" kit you referred a few posts ago, but that seems like it may be too much, or not exactly what I need.

How about the wolfgang porter cable kit? Or are both of these kits the same?

The swirls are so bad that I want them out pronto.....I thought of getting it detailed from a pro shop, but I am probably better off learning how, and saving money at the same time.....Unless you think if the swirls are bad enough to get it done professionally.
    Sounds like you've done your research! The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover kit is very effective and great for first time users.

The Porter Cable 7424xp is a great polisher, but if you're looking to step up to a more powerful machine I would definitely recommend the Flex XC3401. It too is a dual action polisher but it's more powerful than the 7424xp.

The Flex XC3401 and Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover kit are available in one convenient kit.

Flex XC3401 Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover Kit

Although the shipping sale has ended, give us a call and we'll take care of that for you.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215
    Facebook--iPhone Apps-- Autogeek Toolbar-- YouTube Channel

Use coupon code Clubmember to save 10% off your next order

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci
    I have a 2001 330ci..as time has gone on my paint has slightly began to fade away from that new car jet black look. One of my biggest problems is the swirl look in the paint. I was wondering..What is the best way to get my paint to look new again and have the strong black shine. Epecially getting the swirls out

My Cars
    17 440i Coupe RWD
    Hello,

I purchased some Manzerna products a while back (few years). I still have them and am wondering if they are still ok to use? Not sure if there is any sort of expiration date on detail products.

Thanks.

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by jleet7 View Post
    I have a 2001 330ci..as time has gone on my paint has slightly began to fade away from that new car jet black look. One of my biggest problems is the swirl look in the paint. I was wondering..What is the best way to get my paint to look new again and have the strong black shine. Epecially getting the swirls out

The best way to get rid of swirls and to make the paint look new again is with the use of a dual action polisher. We have quite a few polisher kits to choose from that include everything you need to remove swirls, scratches, oxidization, and bring your paint back to a show car shine.

Porter Cable Starter Kits

Quote Originally Posted by avics View Post
    Hello,

I purchased some Manzerna products a while back (few years). I still have them and am wondering if they are still ok to use? Not sure if there is any sort of expiration date on detail products.

Thanks.
    So long as you kept them away from extreme heat or cold, they should still be fine. Before using shake them vigorously to ensure that whatever separation has occurred over time is properly mixed once again.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    M3(S50B32)&(S54B32)
    Aztec Hot Rod Hot Water Extractor.
    What is the shipping weight ,please.

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by abood//M View Post
    Aztec Hot Rod Hot Water Extractor.
    What is the shipping weight ,please.
    The Aztec is an over sized unit and there is a standard shipping rate $40 to ship it in the contiguous 48 states.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

My Cars
    1995 745il
    i oppoligize if this question has been brought up before, but i am curious to know the best methods to bring slightly pitted chrome wheels back to life after haveing road salt eat away at them for a while. any tips or tricks to this?

thank you in advance

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by 745il View Post
    i oppoligize if this question has been brought up before, but i am curious to know the best methods to bring slightly pitted chrome wheels back to life after haveing road salt eat away at them for a while. any tips or tricks to this?

thank you in advance

The best thing to use is a good wheel cleaner to remove all of the brake dust and grime from the surface of the wheels. Once the wheels are clean apply a metal polish and buff the surface. Once chrome starts to pitt it will only get worse but keep them as clean as possible.

DP Wheel Cleaner
    Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush
    Wenol Metal Polish

http://www.autogeek.net/tirewheelcare.html
    1-800-869-3011 ext 205

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Now, when I wiped them off the windshield they were sort of greasy, but I elected to take care of the hood, later.
    Fast forward to the past weekend. Why I hadn't seen them in between, IDK.

Well, they won't come off.
    After washing the other night and then waxing, again, it was late, I didn't see them until at the proper angle.
    They are raised rather than etched spots.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    I'm curious about your car care kits. I've been eyeballing the XMT PC 7424XP Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, but first thing's first, I have a ton of rock chips to address. Not only just on the hood. Some chips are rather large, like the size of small-person's pinky finger nail. After filling in the chips, what else do I need to do before I attack my entire car with the polishing kit?

Car has 155k miles btw. Hasn't been waxed since last summer.

My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by upd View Post
    I'm curious about your car care kits. I've been eyeballing the XMT PC 7424XP Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, but first thing's first, I have a ton of rock chips to address. Not only just on the hood. Some chips are rather large, like the size of small-person's pinky finger nail. After filling in the chips, what else do I need to do before I attack my entire car with the polishing kit?

Car has 155k miles btw. Hasn't been waxed since last summer.
    Dr. Colorchip is the way to go for road rash repair. It's matched per factory color code and is incredibly easy to use.

When machine polishing around touch up spots, just be careful. Try to avoid the spots that you touched up while polishing.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast