Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    '92 325i
    Does the IPA replace the purpose of the Klasse AIO or P21S Paintwork Cleanser? Where would the IPA fall in place in the process if I'm doing:

Wash > Clay > M205 > Klasse AIO > Klasse SG > P21S 100% Carnauba

I also read that IPA can be used after the wash in order to strip off existing sealant/wax. Is this true or is this even needed if I'm going to use CG Citrus Wash to strip the sealant/wax?
    Last edited by jbnery6465; 12-09-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    - Jeremy -
    2006 325I | Arktis Metallic | Premium + Sport | 6MT | 20% Tint | Charcoal Delete

My Cars
    2009 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
    Does the IPA replace the purpose of the Klasse AIO or P21S Paintwork Cleanser? Where would the IPA fall in place in the process if I'm doing:

Wash > Clay > M205 > Klasse AIO > Klasse SG > P21S 100% Carnauba

I also read that IPA can be used after the wash in order to strip off existing sealant/wax. Is this true or is this even needed if I'm going to use CG Citrus Wash to strip the sealant/wax?
    Some people also use it after swirl removal to inspect the paint to see if swirls were completely removed or filled in. You may want to do an IPA mist and wipe after 205 to inspect the paint for any remaining swirls.

It was recommended previously to be used in a small area to remove any oils or polish residue so that emblems could bond.
    - Dwayne
    Autogeek.net
    Autogeek.net sponsors the Show & Shine Forum
    ** 10% off @ Autogeek.net, Pinnaclewax.com and WolfgangCarCare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    '92 325i
    So I'm finally getting ready to purchase the "Porter Cable 7424XP & CCS Pad Kit - Choose Your Pads!" kit and wanted to verify that the following CCS Pads seem correct for what products I'm getting. Here's the link to the kit: http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Meguiars 105 - Orange pad
    Meguiars 205 - White pad
    Klasse AIO or P21S Paintwork Cleanser - Green pad (not the coarse one)
    Klasse SG - Gray or Blue pad
    P21S 100% Carnauba - Gray or Blue pad

Would it be possible to get the 5.5" pads instead of the 6.5" pads?
    This kit combo comes with the Red soft pads as an added bonus. Please let me know, thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.
    Last edited by jbnery6465; 12-27-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    - Jeremy -
    2006 325I | Arktis Metallic | Premium + Sport | 6MT | 20% Tint | Charcoal Delete

Quote Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
    So I'm finally getting ready to purchase the "Porter Cable 7424XP & CCS Pad Kit - Choose Your Pads!" kit and wanted to verify that the following CCS Pads seem correct for what products I'm getting. Here's the link to the kit: http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Meguiars 105 - Orange pad
    Meguiars 205 - White pad
    Klasse AIO or P21S Paintwork Cleanser - Green pad (not the coarse one)
    Klasse SG - Gray or Blue pad
    P21S 100% Carnauba - Gray or Blue pad

Would it be possible to get the 5.5" pads instead of the 6.5" pads?
    This kit combo comes with the Red soft pads as an added bonus. Please let me know, thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.
    Give a call, toll free at 1-800-869-3011 from 10 am-6 pm EST, Monday-Friday, and 10 am – 4 pm on Saturday.
    They should be able to switch the pads for you.
    - Ed
    Autogeek.net
    ** 10% off @ Autogeek.net, Pinnaclewax.com and WolfgangCarCare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    '92 325i
    Thanks Ed. I actually spoke to Dwayne this morning and placed the order already! I can't wait. Next I'm going to purchase all the detailing products!
    - Jeremy -

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 325i
    for the Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 16 x 24 inches Buy One, Get One Free do i just put one in my cart and i get another or do i put two and only have to pay for one? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tballin227 View Post
    for the Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 16 x 24 inches Buy One, Get One Free do i just put one in my cart and i get another or do i put two and only have to pay for one? Thanks

All you have to do is just put 1 towel in the cart. And the AG staff will take care the rest..
    - Ed
    Autogeek.net

My Cars
    1990 535 I

WET PAINT Automotive Polishing Glaze

Has anyone ever used this product? How does it do.

thanks

My Cars
    E39 530d
    Hello, greatings from Europe - Lithuania
    I have read many topics about the polishing, and I want to learn how to polish cars. However, there is a problem, we do not have the products you are using - Meguiar's, Menzerna, and others. I found a great number of e-shops but no one doesn't send to Europe these products.
    Maybe someone know the e-shop which send products to Europe?
    Or maybe you know some good products but not from USA but manufactured in Europe?
    I found that in our market the most used are 3M, Farecla, Einszett, Formula 1 and some other brands. Some of them are used by hand method, and other by machine but wet method. I tried wet method, and i don't like it. I like method you are using - dry method, without any watter.
    It would be nice to get some help and advices

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Silv3r5 View Post
    Hello, greatings from Europe - Lithuania
    I have read many topics about the polishing, and I want to learn how to polish cars. However, there is a problem, we do not have the products you are using - Meguiar's, Menzerna, and others. I found a great number of e-shops but no one doesn't send to Europe these products.
    Maybe someone know the e-shop which send products to Europe?
    Or maybe you know some good products but not from USA but manufactured in Europe?
    I found that in our market the most used are 3M, Farecla, Einszett, Formula 1 and some other brands. Some of them are used by hand method, and other by machine but wet method. I tried wet method, and i don't like it. I like method you are using - dry method, without any watter.
    It would be nice to get some help and advices
    We do ship internationally.

http://autogeek.net/customerservice.html#23

Otherwise, Einszett and 3M make very good products. In my opinion, Meguiar's #105/205, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover/Finishing Glaze, Menzerna PO85RD and 3M Ultrafina are all must-haves in terms of paint correction. But Einszett does have some good polishes that are quite versatile. They may not be on the level of M105/205 or Menzerna/Wolfgang, but they will still get the job done.

My Cars
    E39 530d
    Thanks for reply.
    Ok, I'm intrested in Einszett products. But I can't understand one thing. There are 3 polishers- Extra paint cleaner (yeallow) , Metallick polish wax (red) and Paint polish (green) and ofcourse wax at the end Glanz wax (blue).
    What product is for what stage of polishing?

is it right???
    Extra - for really bad condition paint
    Paint polish- for medium condition paint
    Metalic polish wax - for finishing

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Silv3r5 View Post
    Extra - for really bad condition paint
    Paint polish- for medium condition paint
    Metalic polish wax - for finishing
    This is correct!

My Cars
    97 328i sedan
    what would be best to detail a white car such as my 97 328. i tried waxing it with plane o'l turttle wax but it scratched the hell out of car. thank god i only did it in a small spot but it was horrible.
    88 ford F-150-Sold
    99 Honda Civic Si-Sold
    92 Nissan 240sx-Sold
    93 Volvo 940 turbo-For Sale.
    05 Honda CBR 600rr-Traded
    97 BMW 328i-DD

My Cars
    S2000
    This Wolfgang Porter Cable kit would be a good start to properly caring for your finish.

http://autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-...l-remover.html

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Over the weekend my titanium silver 325i was parallel parked on a street and evidently "kissed" by someone pulling in behind it with a front license plate. Consequently there are now two screw impressions etched into my plastic rear bumper. They aren't severe, but of course they will bother me. Any suggestions on a quick and easy way to fix this? I am not wild about the idea of wet-sanding my car or any body work that requires expertise/might lead to me making things worse.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

My Cars
    S2000
    Unfortunately, I don't know of any quick/easy fix for indentations in paint. You might want to contact a reputable local body shop and ask them.

My Cars
    94 325i Saloon
    I'm looking at buying Meguiars or Wolfgang Wax for My Boston Green BMW but don't what type of wax to buy.

Thanks Matt

My Cars
    S2000
    Typically, Meguiar's will be cheaper, and their sealants tend to last around 3-4 weeks in my experience. Wolfgang will be easier to use, and last anywhere from 3-6 months with better looks and slickness IMO.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0 now E 93

Moaco Blue metallic

I just picked up a new 3er with Monaco Blue paint. Having read through this thread I'm interested in a Wolfgang kit. As this is a new car with dark metallic paint which kit would you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

What if the Myans are right? Get the //M.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    I just read this whole thread and I must say, it's loaded with a wealth of information! Most of my questions have been answered already, however I have one left:

I have a white '62 Ford Falcon that has rust stains running down the paint from the trim. They are not severe, but are still very noticeable. What product/method would you recommend for removing them without damaging the original paint too much?

My Cars
    2012 VW GLI
    What is the best way to wash microfiber towels that have been used for wash/dry, and what about MF towels with sealant/wax on them?

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by byslexic View Post
    I just read this whole thread and I must say, it's loaded with a wealth of information! Most of my questions have been answered already, however I have one left:

I have a white '62 Ford Falcon that has rust stains running down the paint from the trim. They are not severe, but are still very noticeable. What product/method would you recommend for removing them without damaging the original paint too much?
    I would prefer a non-abrasive cleaner product like Klasse All In One. If this doesn't work, you can try a light abrasive like Meguiar's SwirlX or ScratchX 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfly View Post
    What is the best way to wash microfiber towels that have been used for wash/dry, and what about MF towels with sealant/wax on them?
    Use this stuff and follow the instructions, and you'll have great results.

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-microfiber-cleaner.html
    Last edited by Matt@Autogeek; 03-23-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Thanks for the reply. Would you use the above products by hand or with a machine? I am a little afraid of removing too much paint with a machine, but I don't know how hard it would be to do by hand.

My Cars
    '14 4Runner Trail
    EDIT: I have a legitimate question that doesn't have its own kit on AutoGeek.net now.

Dwayne,

I'm starting my own detailing small business and am trying to get a feeler on my rates. Does this look good to you? Anyone else is free to chime in as well.

[my last name] Auto Salon Operates on an “à la carte” basis. A flat rate of $80 is charged for a detailing job that includes:
    Hand washing the vehicle,
    Clay barring the vehicle to remove particulate and grit embedded in the paint,
    Applying finishing polish,
    Applying wax,
    Cleaning & dressing tires and rims,
    Cleaning & dressing vehicle trim (if equipped),
    Vacuuming interior, cleaning windows in & out,
    Cleaning & protecting dash,
    Cleaning vents,
    Wiping down leather with cleaner/sealer (if equipped),
    Clean & organize trunk (a no-cost option),
    and applying Rain-X to all glass and headlights.
    We do provide suggestions based on your desired final product, but feel free to exercise your freedom of choice!

CAS provides two choices for the initial wash of the exterior:
    Detailer’s Pride Auto Bath Shampoo – A gentle, pH neutral shampoo with lubricating oils and cleaning agents that removes dirt and grit without damaging the finish. Smells great as well. $0

Detailer’s Pride Extreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo – This high yield foaming auto shampoo bursts into mounds of suds when introduced to water and agitated. The bubbles work to encapsulate oily residue and dirt even before we touch the paint. This rich foam - combined with our own advanced cleaning agent- leaves your vehicle looking and feeling fantastically clean and bright. +$15

We provide three types of final coatings for the exterior. In ascending order:
    Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax – the only liquid wax that comes close to the deep, sizzling shine that great paste waxes produce. Not as deep or wet of a shine as true paste wax, but a good wax nevertheless. It’s great on light colored cars and lasts 3-4 months. $0

Detailer’s Pride Max Wax – a No. 1 grade Brazilian Yellow Carnauba with engineered polymers that help the wax bond to the paint. DP Max Wax lasts 2-3 months and gives all colors a deep, wet shine. +$20

Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Wax - It is a blend of natural Brazilian Ivory Carnauba and natural oils that give the paint an unmatched depth and richness. It is exceptional on all colors, but stuns on dark, bold colors. Reds radiate energy, blacks, and other dark, deep colors take on the shimmer of an infinitely deep pool. This premium wax lasts 2-3 months as well. +$30

Other Exterior Care Services:

Paint Swirl Removing: Swirls in the paint from previous washes, road grit, and abrasives can be incredibly unsightly, especially under the sunlight of summer. We use a dual-action orbital buffer to safely remove swirls from paint in a comprehensive three-step removal process. The swirls are first removed with a medium pad with Wolfgang Swirl Remover 3.0. The paint is then polished to perfection with a softer pad and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0. Finally, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is applied to create a lustrous and durable finish. +$80 full vehicle or +$20 per body panel

Headlight Restoration: Today’s headlight lens covers are made of polycarbonate, a hard, impact-resistant plastic. While polycarbonate is more resilient than the glass lenses of several years ago, it can dull and yellow in a matter of 1-3 years. Dull, ineffective headlight lenses are a bigger safety risk than you might think. Clouded lenses can reduce the amount of light illuminating the road by as much as 90%. The oxidized plastic refracts the light that is passing through the lens cover, creating a glare that is distracting to other drivers. CAS enhances, polishes, and protects neglected and hazed over headlights, improving light output and driver safety incredibly – not to mention looks. +$20

Under hood Power Wash and Degrease: The engine compartment is the last place many drivers clean, but it is important to the beauty and performance of a vehicle. For example, think of how difficult it is to find an oil leak if the entire engine compartment is covered in grease. Many engine problems are just easier to diagnose and repair when the mechanic can locate the problem on a clean engine. DP Engine Degreaser is a blend of surfactants, sequestering agents, and emollients that loosen and lift greasy buildup from engine surfaces. This formula is based on remarkable cleaning technology that’s used to clean up oil spills in the ocean because of its ability to break up oil and encapsulate it. This same technology powers through layers of grime on engine components to uncover a factory-new looking engine. A high-pressure power wash completes the cleaning. +$50

Interior detailing service:
    Leatherique Two-Step Leather Care – for 30 years Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil has been used by museums, collectors, decorators, and auto enthusiasts all over the world to maintain valuable leather. It is known worldwide for its ability to soften and restore even cardboard hard leather back to useful condition. It is complex blend of proteins and collagens, with absolutely no fillers of any kind. We apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally (about 4 oz. per seat) by hand, massaging the oil well into all the surfaces and natural folds of the leather. This puts natural ingredients, not harsh cleaner, back into the leather and forces out dirt. We then apply the Pristine Clean to remove the contaminants that have floated to the surface of the leather and buff the leather to a luxurious finish. +$80 (all leather surfaces)

Detailer’s Pride Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner – thislifts stains out of carpet and fabric using the latest advanced surfactant technology (surfactants and wetting agents grab the foreign particles and release them from the individual fibers). They are then suspended on the surface of the fibers at which point they are wiped away. Removes food, make-up, grease, oil, fruit juice, and pet stains from fabric seats and carpet. Surfaces will feel clean and soft, never stiff. +$20 (all fabric surfaces)

Hot-Water Carpet Cleaning – Most carpet soil left behind by a vacuum is bonded to the carpet by oil or grease. Oils and grease act like glue to hold soil in carpet and upholstery fibers. What can break these bonds? A blast of hot carpet cleaning solution makes these stains much easier to remove. No stain can stand up to 200° hot water. We use a professional hot-water carpet stain extractor and DP Carpet Pre-Treatment. +$30 (all carpeted surfaces)

Important Notes:

- We will match ANY competitor’s prices. Bring us the ad or price table and you’ll get it for that price.
    - We provide mobile as well as valeting service. If you would like the detailing to take place at your location, please be able to provide a working hose and a power outlet. If it would be more convenient for CAS to retrieve the automobile from you and return it when the services requested have been performed, that can be arranged as well. We will also fill the tank upon request. The gasoline charge will be added to the total bill with a 5% discount.
    - We will do our utmost to care for your finish like it is our own, but we cannot be held responsible for repainted panels which have uneven coats of paint and clearcoat in the event our tools ever go through the clearcoat.
    - Due to the increased size of SUV’s, more product must be used in addition to the added labor of detailing a vehicle of large size. For this reason, the base detail price for an XL SUV is $80.
    XL SUV’s include:

Cadillac Escalade/Pickup/EXT,
    Chevrolet Tahoe,
    Chevrolet Suburban,
    Chevrolet Any Pickup,
    Chrysler Aspen,
    Dodge Durango,
    Dodge Any Pickup,
    Ford Expedition,
    Ford Any Pickup,
    GMC Yukon/XL,
    Hummer H1/H2/H3,
    Land Rover LR3,
    Land Rover Range Rover,
    Lexus LX,
    Lincoln Navigator,
    Mercedes Gl,
    Mercedes G,
    Toyota Sequoia,
    Toyota Land Cruiser,
    Toyota Tundra.
    If you feel your vehicle is oversized and it is not listed please contact us.
    Last edited by sCingilli; 03-25-2010 at 08:15 PM.

My Cars
    2012 VW GLI
    Thanks, I'll check that product out.

Is it alright to use a cleaner/sealant regularly, even if paint quality is good.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast