Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Nick@Autogeek is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwahba46 View Post
    ^ I'd like to see a solution for that as well, as I have very similar wear on my Vaders as well!

Also, Nick,
    I am new to detailing, are there any suggestions for a starting kit to properly wash, clay, polish, wax, and seal my cars paint? The paint is in pretty good shape, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm looking for DA polisher along with the other products needed to do it. Sorry if this question has been posted before, if so just refer me to the list that I need. Thanks!
    These two kits would be a great start.

Perfect Starter Kit Porter Cable 7424XP

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Total Concours Kit

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215
    Facebook--iPhone Apps-- Autogeek Toolbar-- YouTube Channel

Use coupon code Clubmember to save 10% off your next order

My Cars
    '00 323i
    Hello,

2000 323i 4 door black on black. I have a steering wheel that is degrading so if it gets it becomes a sticky goo. The wheel looked like a leather wrap because of the stitching on the inside circumference of the wheel. Having worked with leather I believe this wheel is not actually leather but some sort of foam, rubber or other product that had a number of coats on its surface.

I feel like this has happened on the door handle a little bit but I have only had the car for a month now and don't make a habit of getting the inside wet, though I am looking to wipe the inside down cause of dust. When I began wiping the steering wheel the goo thing happened and I am on here looking ASAP.

The quicker the advice the better as I need to clean this baby out and get her shiny again. I just bought armoral for now but am afraid to use it till I ehre anything back on this issue. I plan to research a bit more and learn about how to do a great job once I get some more cash flow (aka payday or two) but right now I am really short getting this car fixed and on the road legally.

My Cars
    '00 323i
    2000 323i Black. Bought the car a month or so ago. New to forums and new to ownership of a car I want to really take care of. It has lots of oxidation on bits stuck in clear coat. Clay bar is removing em. Need to learn how to do it all correctly though.

Clay was first tip I learned from this forum and I am AMAZED!!!!!!!!

Using the mothers clay kit that uses the quick detailer as the clay juice. My issue is that I am wondering how to transition from each step to give me the best results. I need to know using what I have now and how that may change after I get what I am aiming for. Other product suggestions welcome, I am going off of what I have read here.

Until I can afford to get a few better products and save for a machine, I am sticking to doing things by hand. MAY be willing to buy the $50 kit that attaches to a drill. If recommended please recommend associated products needed.

Currently Using:

Walmart Antibacterial Apple Scented Dish Soap as car wash (what should I get locally from auto-zone or advanced auto? how should I know what will be with or without waxes that will mess up subsequent steps)

Mothers Clay kit with Showtime Instant Detailer as juice

Re-wash with dish soap before clay juice drys.

Dry the patch where Scratch X is to be used. Then use Scratch X (still testing it out, doesn't work on chips, haven't figured how to use it to remove swirls, the swirls seems to be at different depths as well)

Re-Wash Scratch-X area.

Dry car with shammie.

Meguires Quik Wax.

For all above steps I am currently using an assorted grab bag of microfiber towels.

WHAT I PLAN TO USE:

______ Wash. (Fill me in please!)

Detailing Clay (upto suggestions for switching, currently the Mothers yellow clay is too fine as the car was recently bought used, but it should be fine later. I am up to suggestions for more aggressive clay as I may make an autogeek purchase before I finish claying the whole car. I am currently doing my car section by section after work.)

Wash or buff?

Meguires #105 for deep swirls?

Wash or buff?

Meguires #2 for follow up to #105?

Wash or buff?

Meguires Scratch X for follow up to #2?

Wash or buff?

Klasse All-in-One final polish/glaze step (seems highly recommended)

Wash or buff?

Klasse High Gloss Sealant or maybe Duragloss Clear Coat for long term protection.

Wash or buff?

_______ Spray Wax, maybe. I am currently having issues getting the quick wax to set right, though I am new to all of this. I am certainly making many mistakes leading up to this final step.

AFTERWARD:

How does the maintenance wash and touch up go after I put in all this work?

GLASS:

Used the clay bar, works well. Do I follow up on glass with anything after a clay bar? Can I clay bar the inside of the glass? Should I use glass cleaner or something on the inside as clay juice?

TRIM and RIMS:

What steps do I do on the trim pieces and rims? Which steps do I skip? Which do I divert and do something else?

THANKS A TON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to my car representing on the outside what I have been doing mechanically and on the inside.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ResistImpulse View Post
    2000 323i Black. Bought the car a month or so ago. New to forums and new to ownership of a car I want to really take care of. It has lots of oxidation on bits stuck in clear coat. Clay bar is removing em. Need to learn how to do it all correctly though.

Clay was first tip I learned from this forum and I am AMAZED!!!!!!!!

Using the mothers clay kit that uses the quick detailer as the clay juice. My issue is that I am wondering how to transition from each step to give me the best results. I need to know using what I have now and how that may change after I get what I am aiming for. Other product suggestions welcome, I am going off of what I have read here.

Until I can afford to get a few better products and save for a machine, I am sticking to doing things by hand. MAY be willing to buy the $50 kit that attaches to a drill. If recommended please recommend associated products needed.

Currently Using:

Walmart Antibacterial Apple Scented Dish Soap as car wash (what should I get locally from auto-zone or advanced auto? how should I know what will be with or without waxes that will mess up subsequent steps)

Mothers Clay kit with Showtime Instant Detailer as juice

Re-wash with dish soap before clay juice drys.

Dry the patch where Scratch X is to be used. Then use Scratch X (still testing it out, doesn't work on chips, haven't figured how to use it to remove swirls, the swirls seems to be at different depths as well)

Re-Wash Scratch-X area.

Dry car with shammie.

Meguires Quik Wax.

For all above steps I am currently using an assorted grab bag of microfiber towels.

WHAT I PLAN TO USE:

______ Wash. (Fill me in please!)

Detailing Clay (upto suggestions for switching, currently the Mothers yellow clay is too fine as the car was recently bought used, but it should be fine later. I am up to suggestions for more aggressive clay as I may make an autogeek purchase before I finish claying the whole car. I am currently doing my car section by section after work.)

Wash or buff?

Meguires #105 for deep swirls?

Wash or buff?

Meguires #2 for follow up to #105?

Wash or buff?

Meguires Scratch X for follow up to #2?

Wash or buff?

Klasse All-in-One final polish/glaze step (seems highly recommended)

Wash or buff?

Klasse High Gloss Sealant or maybe Duragloss Clear Coat for long term protection.

Wash or buff?

_______ Spray Wax, maybe. I am currently having issues getting the quick wax to set right, though I am new to all of this. I am certainly making many mistakes leading up to this final step.

AFTERWARD:

How does the maintenance wash and touch up go after I put in all this work?

GLASS:

Used the clay bar, works well. Do I follow up on glass with anything after a clay bar? Can I clay bar the inside of the glass? Should I use glass cleaner or something on the inside as clay juice?

TRIM and RIMS:

What steps do I do on the trim pieces and rims? Which steps do I skip? Which do I divert and do something else?

THANKS A TON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to my car representing on the outside what I have been doing mechanically and on the inside.
    I'm not going to reply to every question, but will answer where i think I can help.

- Ditch the WallyMart dish soap and buy a dedicated car wash shampoo. You can probably find something worthwhile at AutoZone or Advance, but last year I bought a gallon of the Citrus Wash and Gloss from Chemical Guys. (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Citrus_W..._p/cws_301.htm) The stuff is highly concentrated and therefore a little goes a long way. When you consider how many washes you get from a gallon it is really the most economical way to go. My next purchase, when I run out of the Citrus Wash will be the Honeydew Snowfoam.

- Forget the drill attachment. For "occasional DIY use" I would suggest going to your local Harbor Freight and buying their dual action polisher. If you keep your eyes peeled and have coupons etc. it can be had for under 60 bucks. Works just fine for the occasional DIYer.

- Skip the chamois/shammir and buy several large microfiber drying towels. I think 20x40 is a good size for a drying towel. A good economical supplier is The Rag Company. They have good products at reasonable prices. Use these with a light touch on your paint to minimize the chance of scratching.

- I can't weigh-in on the Klasse products. I have considered trying them but I am totally satisfied with Zaino Z2. I don't go "whole-hog" into the umpteen step Zaino process and just use Z2 after minimal paint prep. I have also hear good things about Menzerna Powerlok and may give that a try when my Zaino supply expires. It is supposed to have comparable service life but somewhat easier to apply and remove. I do know that if you put Zaino Z2 on too thick it is difficult to remove. With the polymer sealants, less is better. Another trick that I use is to wet my applicator so I can better see where and that I am actually applying product. It is sometimes difficult to see that you are applying product if using a somewhat dry applicator, leading you to use more and just increasing waste and difficulty in removal.

- If you are looking to add some fun factor to your car wash routine and you already own a pressure washer, buy a foam cannon. A foam cannon combined with one of the aforementioned shampoos can be entertaining and very effective at loosening road grime. If you haven't seen one of these in action just visit YouTube and search for "foam gun", "foam cannon" or "snow foam".

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by crazy4trains; 12-10-2014 at 02:13 PM.

My Cars
    Z4,X3
    How do I get tree sap off my z4 black ragtop? Thanks

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Are there any before after pics of really shabby paint brought back to life? I want to see if its worth trying to restore my paint vs respraying. Clear coat is starting to go in some places.
    I love to flap my paddle..

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord DRIFT View Post
    Are there any before after pics of really shabby paint brought back to life? I want to see if its worth trying to restore my paint vs respraying. Clear coat is starting to go in some places.
    If the clearcoat is going there's not a lot you can do short of a respray

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
    If the clearcoat is going there's not a lot you can do short of a respray
    Ugh. Thought so...
    I love to flap my paddle..

I'm looking for a set of wheels to refinish to make a couple dollars of profit. Would these wheels (note second picture) be repairable at home?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/4918044870.html
    Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    small blemishes can be filled with bondo and painted silver with Wurth German Silver. It matches all German wheels. Those big nicks will have to be welded in then filed/sanded/bondo/sanded in to be perfect again.
    Doable for sure. Have any friends that weld?

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Ok, I'll pop a question in here: I'm running low on the last sealant I've used for the daily drivers. I can probably do the 2005 X5 with the rest, but the 2002 M3 will require a new sealant. I've been polishing w/Sonnax 3/6 recently, if that makes a difference, using an older porter cable (Griot's version from long ago) w/5" pads.

I use CQuartz on the 2011 M3 b/c the paint is not nearly as chipped up as the other two. Maybe I should buy the industrial sized container and do all three with CQuartz?

What's the hot setup for sealants now. I'm not into contests, so I don't need 200' deep shine, though I appreciate that. I prefer paint protection and anything that helps keep dust/dirt off the car.

ars are garaged night and day, but it is Vegas so the heat is a *beach* (100 deg F garage temps after pulling a hot car in my insulated garage every night in the summer).

I prefer to machine apply and appreciate an easy removal (and low residue dusting) due to some shoulder issues. I hand remove the polish and sealant.

Thanks!
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2000 323Ci Convertible
    What is the absolute best protectant product for my 2000 323Ci convertible top?

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksculley View Post
    What is the absolute best protectant product for my 2000 323Ci convertible top?
    When my wife had a Z3, the BMW cleaner and conditioner kit for convertible tops was very nice. I believe it was made by Sonnax.
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    95 M3/2/5, 2011 Audi A4
    I'm looking to clean my leather seats. they are pretty dirty (dove gray). I think they will require a good brush cleaning so Im wondering if there are any cheap cordless sanders/polishers that can take a brush attachment to make the job easier. I need it to be cordless because I don't have a private garage. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2015: X1
    Quote Originally Posted by admranger View Post
    When my wife had a Z3, the BMW cleaner and conditioner kit for convertible tops was very nice. I believe it was made by Sonnax.
    +1
    I had a 128 vert and the BMW product worked great keeping the top looking like new for the 3 years we had the car.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    how often do you re-apply polish/wax to your orbital pad? a couple pea sized drops per square foot? per panel?
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    2012 535i M package
    Hi, I have a black 535i. What are your opinions on black wax like Chemical Guys Black Wax Luminous Glow infusion or Blackfire Black Ice Hybrid?
    TNX!

Nick@Autogeek is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Honda
    Sorry for the late of replies lately. If anyone still needs assistance please post your question again or send an email to nick@autogeek.net

Quote Originally Posted by Calichris10 View Post
    Hi, I have a black 535i. What are your opinions on black wax like Chemical Guys Black Wax Luminous Glow infusion or Blackfire Black Ice Hybrid?
    TNX!
    They're both great waxes, but in my experience BlackICE is going to last a lot longer. It's also easier to use. They key to achieving the best finish possible is to properly prep the surface - clay, polish, then wax.

Nick@Autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 x215
    Facebook--iPhone Apps-- Autogeek Toolbar-- YouTube Channel

Use coupon code Clubmember to save 10% off your next order

My Cars
    2012 535i M package
    Thank You!!!

Just picked up some Mk Motorsport MK1s.

Chrome peeling, rust, etc.

Best way around refurbishing them?

Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    01 740iL & 92 GTI
    What's the best products for restoring black trims that have been expose to the sun and look white?

No BITCHASSEDNESS!!

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Rocka View Post
    What's the best products for restoring black trims that have been expose to the sun and look white?
    External trim? Black Wow worked wonders for me. Much better than Back to Black

My Cars
    01 740iL & 92 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
    External trim? Black Wow worked wonders for me. Much better than Back to Black
    Yes external trims.

Here an example of the same trims and the same car I have so im looking for something good to restore the trim back to original look like this

No BITCHASSEDNESS!!

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Rocka View Post
    Yes external trims.

Here an example of the same trims and the same car I have so im looking for something good to restore the trim back to original look like this

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    I'm not going to reply to every question, but will answer where i think I can help.

- Ditch the WallyMart dish soap and buy a dedicated car wash shampoo. You can probably find something worthwhile at AutoZone or Advance, but last year I bought a gallon of the Citrus Wash and Gloss from Chemical Guys. (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Citrus_W..._p/cws_301.htm) The stuff is highly concentrated and therefore a little goes a long way. When you consider how many washes you get from a gallon it is really the most economical way to go. My next purchase, when I run out of the Citrus Wash will be the Honeydew Snowfoam........

Have you ever tried using Original Dawn blue dish soap? It's like the duct the of soap. I use it for car washes, cleaning oil spills on concrete, give my dog a flea bath, and I use it on myself as shampoo/body wash for my outdoor shower. It does a noticeable better job at all these than many over priced dedicated products. For car wash it does a great job of softening up those hard yellow bee shit deposits that are common in socal.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard of peeling clearcoat being aesthetically approved by just removing all the clearcoat. The base paint can be prepped and resprayed with clearcoat again. It's semi ghetto and is not perfect but can work. My clearcaot is going so I'm looking into just getting it removed and having just the matte type underpaint. I'm more concerned with go than show so figure if anything it will save the trouble of it peeling slowly away over time.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a car detailing question that I can't seem to find an answer. I have an e36 m3 vert with the vinyl rear window. It is getting hazy overall and on the bottom it has some crusty type stuff. Is there anything I can do to at least clean it up some but hopefully polish it to make it clear?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast