Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

My Cars
    S2000

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

At Autogeek, we specialize in car care and auto detailing. Our courteous staff of technical advisers consists of detailing enthusiasts and professional detailers and our team of car care experts are happy to answer your questions! We'll help you find auto care solutions so that you can achieve the ultimate show car shine.

As a forum sponsor, we would like to offer our guidance and assistance and answer any questions that you may have. Introducing “Ask The Autogeek!” By posting questions and answers in this thread, this will create an archive of valuable information for other forum members and guests to see, so you’ll be helping others as well!

Need answers right now? We can help with that too! Autogeek.net is your source for the most in depth and comprehensive car care information on the internet. We have detailing guides, how to articles and informative videos to get you started in the right direction! These are just a few of the informative links that you will find at Autogeek.net:

Autogeek University – Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks

Dual Action Orbital Polishing Guide

Download & View Autogeek Car Care Handbooks & Videos

Customer Comments & Reviews

We are looking forward to helping you achieve the results that you are looking for. So go ahead, ask away! We welcome your questions and will work hard to provide quality answers that you need to get the best detail possible.

Use coupon code clubmember for 10% off your orders at Autogeek.net!

*Coupon valid on in stock items. Not applicable on previously placed orders, custom or special order items, polishers & polisher kits, vacuums, carpet extractors, garage flooring, gift certificates, or complete wash systems. One coupon code per order.

My Cars
    92 325i
    Hi there,

Is an orbital machine capable of polishing out "hard water spots" or is a rotary machine needed? Can you recommend a machine, pad, and polish kit for this application.

Clay bar and hand polish is not cutting it.

Thanks in advance,

k
    Metal Mover @ www.milehighcarhelper.com
    |New & PreOwned Sales |Trades | Consignments |Vehicle Location| Consulting |

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I've got some spots on my hood that are darker than the Hellrot paint.
    They appeared after I took my car out for a dry spin around our block shortly after washing about 2 weeks ago maybe more.
    It was on the glass which is why I noticed but didn't see it on the paint since it was dark by that time. (I wash the car late in the day)

Now, when I wiped them off the windshield they were sort of greasy, but I elected to take care of the hood, later.
    Fast forward to the past weekend. Why I hadn't seen them in between, IDK.

Well, they won't come off.
    After washing the other night and then waxing, again, it was late, I didn't see them until at the proper angle.
    They are raised rather than etched spots.

I used some Megs Cleaner Wax thinking it would remove them, but it hasn't.
    I can't be sure if it's brake fluid or coke or what?
    All I did was drive around the block and not much traffic at all.
    Tried some AIO on a few, then Megs SR 2.0, Bug and Tar Remover, GooGone and finally, today, some 2000 wet and dry which did get it out at one spot I tested, but
    left a pit.
    Wouldn't brake fluid just eat all the way down to the metal?

My Cars
    S2000
    I would recommend using a PORTER CABLE 7424 or the FLEX XC 3401 VRG for a Dual Action Polisher. I would recommend using the new Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 & the Wolfgang Finishing glaze 3.0 for removing the water spots and any swirl marks in the paint. The correct foam pads to use with these products are the Orange & White 6.5” CCS Pads by Lake Country. Once you have corrected the paint surface apply a coat of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 for long term protection and shine.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Can you answer my question?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    1) What would you recommend for DIY touchup for rock chips and road rash on the front of my Titanium Silver 2002 330i? It's my daily driver so I don't require show-car perfection.
    - I was interested in the Dr. Colorchip system because it seems very easy to use and hard to mess up. But, even their own website says it's not great for light metallic colors like metallic silver or gold.
    - Touchup paint from the dealership seems like it would be the best color match, but very easy to mess up.
    - Langka system is maybe the best compromise between ease of use and color matching? It's a little pricey though.

I'm pretty good at following instructions and have a decent eye for detail, but sometimes on things like this, I keep messing with them even after I should have stopped, and wind up making it worse.

2) If I'm having paint correction done, should I wait until after I do the rock chip touchups? How long? 30-60 days?

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    1) What would you recommend for DIY touchup for rock chips and road rash on the front of my Titanium Silver 2002 330i? It's my daily driver so I don't require show-car perfection.
    - I was interested in the Dr. Colorchip system because it seems very easy to use and hard to mess up. But, even their own website says it's not great for light metallic colors like metallic silver or gold.
    - Touchup paint from the dealership seems like it would be the best color match, but very easy to mess up.
    - Langka system is maybe the best compromise between ease of use and color matching? It's a little pricey though.

I'm pretty good at following instructions and have a decent eye for detail, but sometimes on things like this, I keep messing with them even after I should have stopped, and wind up making it worse.

2) If I'm having paint correction done, should I wait until after I do the rock chip touchups? How long? 30-60 days?

I would recommend purchasing the Langka system, in conjunction with color matched touchup paint from your local dealership.

http://www.autogeek.net/langka.html

As long as you follow the instructions (the instructional CD helps too) you will be fine. Of course it's harder to match metallics, especially silver, but if you follow the instructions it will come out looking good. The biggest problem in this case is getting the right paint! My advice is to apply as little as possible. If you apply too little, you can always add more. If you apply too much, then you're in trouble!

Of course, if you're feeling extra ambitious, you can wetsand the area afterwards to blend it and get even better results. Sounds hard, but if it's just a small area and you use very light pressure, you won't hurt anything. Keep in mind, you'll only want to attempt this if you have the proper tools to compound and polish afterwards.

As far as waiting for it to cure, a day or so should be fine. A week will be more than enough. Most people wetsand and polish several hours after applying the touchup paint; it all depends on conditions which effect curing time.

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    Can you answer my question?

There's a lot of variables which will effect what brake fluid will do to your paint. It's really tough to say what could be on your paint, but one thing I did notice is that you didn't mention trying a clay bar. I would definitely try some mild, or even aggressive clay first and that should definitely take care of it!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob@autogeek View Post
    There's a lot of variables which will effect what brake fluid will do to your paint. It's really tough to say what could be on your paint, but one thing I did notice is that you didn't mention trying a clay bar. I would definitely try some mild, or even aggressive clay first and that should definitely take care of it!

Yeah, I didn't mention it, but I tried it.
    I will give it another shot today.

I have some touch-up to do, too.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    S2000
    What grade clay did you try? You might want to try picking up some Meguiar's Aggressive red clay if you haven't considered doing so.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob@autogeek View Post
    What grade clay did you try? You might want to try picking up some Meguiar's Aggressive red clay if you haven't considered doing so.
    Pinnacle Pete Natural Brilliance Poly Clay-yellow stuff.
    I think that might be a low one on the aggressive scale.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    S2000
    The older yellow Pinnacle clay is a mild/medium clay. I would try something more aggressive.

My Cars
    1991 318is

carbon fiber vented hood for e30

Does Vorsteiner makes a hood for an e30? Or where i could get a carbon vented hood for an e30?

My Cars
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by rhe30 View Post
    Does Vorsteiner makes a hood for an e30? Or where i could get a carbon vented hood for an e30?
    Not sure - we do not sell body parts or performance products, just car care products and accessories.

My Cars
    93' bmw 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by SpasticDwarf View Post
    Subtlety is key my friend; it doesn't always take a bunch of stuff to make a car unique- a set of wheels and the right stance can make a car stand out.

Roundel shifty #1.

kuv yog hmoob.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ttkid06 View Post
    Answered in your thread.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Ant tricks for getting wax residue off the side moldings? I did the Forever Black last year but after a few waxings I've got some white on the moldings. I know enamel reducer would work, but I don't have any and I'm afraid it would remove the Forever Black

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    You can use Wax Blaster, that works well. Heard people use peanut butter too, just got to be careful of the oils in it.
    http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

** 10% off @ Autogeek.net- PinnacleWax.com -Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I'm looking to get a porter cable and some detailing products but there are so many options, its just bewildering. Would it be ok if I posted a few pics so you could give me a recommendation on what to buy?

Also, do you know if the porter cable is availible in 220v? And...do you guys ship to APO address's?
    Thanks,
    Tom

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
    I'm looking to get a porter cable and some detailing products but there are so many options, its just bewildering. Would it be ok if I posted a few pics so you could give me a recommendation on what to buy?

Also, do you know if the porter cable is availible in 220v? And...do you guys ship to APO address's?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    We do not have the Porter Cable in 220v. If you could let us know what condition your car paint is in we can help you pick a good kit for you.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    97' 328is
    Which kit should i use for water spot etchings in my window. last owner nevertook care of the windows and those etchings has been there for years!
    Whats recommended and thats easy to use and good for the price?

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    i have ordered a lot of products from autogeek in the past. can i have any free samples?

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lazed View Post
    Which kit should i use for water spot etchings in my window. last owner nevertook care of the windows and those etchings has been there for years!
    Whats recommended and thats easy to use and good for the price?
    DP Glass Restorer should remove all of those for you. If you think you would want to remove them with machine you could use the Diamondite Glasswork System Kit for Machine Application.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

My Cars
    2006 650i Convertible

Getting paint off of convertible top?

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? It's just splatter i.e. tiny little spots. Any effective chemicals to use?

My Cars
    Is it fabric or vinyl top? I would first try a mild cleaner and a small brush first to see if you can safely lift it.
    - Meghan
    Meghan@autogeek.net

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast