Thread: All dash and console lights out-M roadster

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster Imola Red

All dash and console lights out-M roadster

Hi everyone......

I have a 2000 M Roadster, and last Thursday I got in to drive home after dark and had NO lights in the instrument cluster or any gauges or buttons on the console. All of the fuses were fine. So I figured the dimmer part of the headlight switch went out . I removed the switch and the spring had come off the end terminal, so no lights. I fixed the dimmer part to turn a little further and got electrical contact, and when I put it back on....still no lights! What the ****!

Also, I have NOW noticed the parking lights were out. Both fuses were blown. I would swear they were working before I messed with the switch. but now I'm not sure.
    Left side now works, right side blows fuse. I'm going to check all the lights and wires on the right side tonite (I bought a bag of fuses).

Has anyone had this problem? The headlight switch is soo, simple I can't imagine that being the problem, it was easy to rig to turn farther, and with a voltmeter I could verify it's working.

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know!!! This is a Great site!!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I would suggest that you replace the headlight switch. You've already proven that it has failed and it sounds like your fix may have caused further problems (parking lights).

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster Imola Red
    LOL....you may be right!!

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    What ever happened with this? I have the same problem going on with my car right now. The radio is lit up (aftermarket), the ASC light is on, but everything else is off. I thought I messed something up by pushing my radio back into the console because it kept sliding out.
    -Joe

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    e36/7/8's
    Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    Lighted Shift knob short circuit can fry the headlight switch
    Beat me to it. I will forever be bemused by the sheer ingenious of BMW designers for some things and their jaw-dropping cloddiness for others. It must have been a summer intern who designed our gloveboxes, for example

QMC, could very well be that you shorted something while you were trying to get the radio in. Or if you're lucky, maybe something came unconnected. Calling Z3Couper - you've done a bunch of radio installs; can you help here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    Don't fret, love, you're still at the top of the weirdo list and I <3 you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    I need to say something to get into einzlr's signature.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Thanks guys.

Actually, my shifter has been coming lose and I noticed the wires were kind of sticking out from the bottom, so I just shoved them back...this and the radio thing have been going pretty much around the same time so it could have been either one. I went ahead and ordered a new headlight switch though.
    -Joe

My Cars
    e36/7/8's
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMCoupe View Post
    Thanks guys.

Actually, my shifter has been coming lose and I noticed the wires were kind of sticking out from the bottom, so I just shoved them back...this and the radio thing have been going pretty much around the same time so it could have been either one. I went ahead and ordered a new headlight switch though.
    And get those shifter wires sorted out ...or you'll just blow out the new switch all over again Mine are a mess, too. I've temporarily insulated them with pvc tape while I figure out which shifter I want to get. I'm not particularly in love with the stock one

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    Don't fret, love, you're still at the top of the weirdo list and I <3 you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    I need to say something to get into einzlr's signature.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Just a question... I was searching the forums, since my mom's new purchase M roadster non of the dash, radio or shift nobs are lighting up. I popped the shift boot up and noticed some electrical tape near the top of the boot wrapping the two wires.

Is this where the original problem was? and someone already fixed it, but didn't bother with the Light switch?

Or is the issue with the shifter wiring somewhere else?

Just curious so when I do replace the light switch, I dont pop it again.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    01 MCoupe, 88M3, 99XJ
    I've seen this a few times in the shop, and most of the time the headlight switch fixes the problem with the dash/cluster lights. Doesn't mean that the shift knob light could be causing a problem too. Obviously the shift knob is an easier/cheaper repair so I would start with that.

Kyle
    88M3, 97 840Ci.

My Cars
    M roadster, BMW E90

the problem is the reostat

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    any DIY on how to replace the headlight switch?

- - - Updated - - -

maybe i could just google it first: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

all good. thanks.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I am having the same issue as described above. No instrument lights, passenger side rear parking light not working, passenger front parking light not working. I know the rheostat in the switch is bad and have replaced the switch. I have replaced the lighted shift knob in the recent past but, being blind, I installed it upside down and one of the friendly shop guys pulled it off and turned it around. This makes me think there could be some veracity in the lighted shift knob short but I can find zero blown fuses. I sincerely hope that this has not "blown" my new 153 buck switch and the effort expended to replace it. Sure would be nice if BMW would indicate in the fuse box which fuse is for the instrument lights. There is a fuse for instrument cluster but I am guessing that is the gauges and idiot lights.

Oh, I found a good fix for the glove box involving some angle aluminum and a couple of self tapping screws. I should take a p;icture of where to put the screwss so it hits the metal but that is hard for a blindman.

Oh yeah, if anybody found a difniative solution that fixed their issue, let me know.

Thanks
    blindman
    2000 M Roadster