Thread: Upgraded to 3.64 LSD AND no more grindy noises

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i

Upgraded to 3.64 LSD AND no more grindy noises

Swapped out my 3.46 open for a 3.64 LSD. Not for performance, but more so I wouldn't have to listen to the input bearing grind itself to pieces anymore. Thanks to shrike for the good price on the diff. I just hope that little broken allen bolt won't be a problem. Has not presented any problems thus far.
    Edit: Oh and mr. UPS man didn't like the 152lb box

The last two are showing where the allen bolt head came from and the head itself.

My Cars
    90 535i/5, 89 325i/5
    Nice, is your car a 5 speed? how do you like the 3.64 as opposed to the 3.46 (assuming your car is a 5 speed)

[E34] Miller MAF. 3.64 LSD. Racing Dynamics Headers. Remus Catback Exhaust. Bilstein HD Shocks. H&R Springs. M5 Sway Bars. Racing Dynamics Strut Bar. Racing King Subframe Inserts. Clear corners and tails. Euro bumper trim. 17" BBS RX wheels.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    lol yes his car is a 5sp; otherwise it would be a downgrade.

My Cars
    e36 ///m
    Was it making a lot more noise when you release the throttle? I'm upgrading to a 3.64 LSD for the same reason

1998 M3 @robocho

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat777 View Post
    Was it making a lot more noise when you release the throttle? I'm upgrading to a 3.64 LSD for the same reason
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=994314
    there is a video of mine in that thread.

Edit: Hey I am in San Diego right now!

My Cars
    e36 ///m
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=994314
    there is a video of mine in that thread.

Edit: Hey I am in San Diego right now!
    That is the EXACT noise I hear, I was 99% sure it was the differential, the guy down at my shop told me thats what it was just by listening to it on the lift, I felt like it was the right answer but without him actually physically inspecting it I was a little put off.

Hey so how easy is this job to do by yourself? I think that shop is trying to scam me by charging it as a 7 hr job, yet I know it would take 2 hrs MAX for a shop with proffesionals. This would be my first major DIY I would be doing to a car, the most "extreme" thing I have done so far was CPS replace, so this would be a substantially harder thing to do I would guess.

BTW How are you likng it down in San Diego?

1998 M3 @robocho

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by screwbiedoo15 View Post
    Nice, is your car a 5 speed? how do you like the 3.64 as opposed to the 3.46 (assuming your car is a 5 speed)
    Car is a 5 speed. I noticed a slight difference, but don't expect the moon with this upgrade. Though I will say that my engine has its good days and its slow days, so it is a little bit more difficult to compare.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    That is the EXACT noise I hear, I was 99% sure it was the differential, the guy down at my shop told me thats what it was just by listening to it on the lift, I felt like it was the right answer but without him actually physically inspecting it I was a little put off.

Hey so how easy is this job to do by yourself? I think that shop is trying to scam me by charging it as a 7 hr job, yet I know it would take 2 hrs MAX for a shop with proffesionals. This would be my first major DIY I would be doing to a car, the most "extreme" thing I have done so far was CPS replace, so this would be a substantially harder thing to do I would guess.

BTW How are you likng it down in San Diego?
    Get under the car and grab the driveshaft and try and move it up and down, if there is any play, then the bearing is dead. Mine had a few mm of play up and down... pretty bad. Job wasn't too bad, just need two people to help line everything up. I ended up bench pressing the diff into place. It isn't too difficult, just some allen bolts and 3 bolts holding the diff into place. There are probably some DIYs floating around. I am in San Diego for Naval ROTC summer training, but I went to mission beach and then In and Out today.

My Cars
    e36 ///m
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    Get under the car and grab the driveshaft and try and move it up and down, if there is any play, then the bearing is dead. Mine had a few mm of play up and down... pretty bad. Job wasn't too bad, just need two people to help line everything up. I ended up bench pressing the diff into place. It isn't too difficult, just some allen bolts and 3 bolts holding the diff into place. There are probably some DIYs floating around. I am in San Diego for Naval ROTC summer training, but I went to mission beach and then In and Out today.

Wow, so the only real hard part is getting the actually diff up in place, How long did it take you to do the job? My driveshaft was moving like an inch up and down when I had it on the lift.

How's the Navy ROTC going? My dad's been in the Navy for over 20 years now, he's been lucky enough to know the guy who stations people and has got him to let us stay in San Diego for the past 10 yrs

1998 M3 @robocho

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Wow, so the only real hard part is getting the actually diff up in place, How long did it take you to do the job? My driveshaft was moving like an inch up and down when I had it on the lift.

How's the Navy ROTC going? My dad's been in the Navy for over 20 years now, he's been lucky enough to know the guy who stations people and has got him to let us stay in San Diego for the past 10 yrs
    Yeah, if your driveshaft was moving that much, then it is def your problem. It took me 5ish hours because I took my time and was cleaning everything as I went. Hardest part was taking off and putting back on the halfshafts.

My dad was in the navy for 20 years as well. It is ok, still deciding if it is really what I want to do, but we will see. I vote you drive me around because my cars are in DFW and I hate taking the trolley/bus to get around

My Cars
    e36 ///m
    Did you have to use any special tools?

Haha I use to like the trolley and bus until I got the bimmer, now i'm spoiled (as far as transportation goes) haha

1998 M3 @robocho

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Did you have to use any special tools?

Haha I use to like the trolley and bus until I got the bimmer, now i'm spoiled (as far as transportation goes) haha
    I bought some allen socket things to make it easier, can't remember what size. But you shouldn't need any special tools really.