Thread: Blower fan not working/ auto a/c E36

My Cars
    99 E36 M3

Blower fan not working/ auto a/c E36

I recently posted a request asking about the above issue. The info received was very helpful. It all seemed to point to the final stage unit, so i replaced this and the fan is still not working. The control seems to be ok as it lights up and shows the incremental fan speed as you adjust it. I'm dreading having to replace the blower motor!!. Is there a way i can test the motor to determine if it's faulty or not. I've done just about everything from checking all the relative fuses etc. Can anyone help please.

My Cars
    97 M3 Saloon
    When I had the same problem, I also replaced the final stage resistor unit and had the same result.

I took the covers off to reach the blower from the engine bay. I found that the blower worked by wiggling the two wires a bit. So I slipped the two wires off the terminals, sanded the terminals a bit, then reconnected the wires. The blower works perfect ever since.

I suggest that you also try this. I've seen several folks replace their blower motors. Maybe that was the problem in some cases, but maybe it was just the electrical connection.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3

blower fan not working

Ok thanks. I'll try this. Didn't want to dismantle cowl etc but i have no choice. I'll let you know how i go

My Cars
    '97 M3 and '02 530i
    Could be your blower relay fuse 20, 30A.

Could be your blower relay. Positive 12V from the relay comes into the FSU on pin 2 GRN/BRN. Ignition needs to be in position 2.

The blower motor wires on the FSU connector are Pin 1, BRN/YEL and Pin 5, GRN/YEL. No indication of polarity except that most of the ground wires are brown. But, you might try to see if you have resistance across the motor. You can also measure voltage to determine if the FSU is sending power to drive the motor.

Could be that you need the diode fix in the CC.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3

Blower fan not working Auto ac E36

I got motivated and disassembled the wiper cowl etc and removed the cover off the blower housing. Firstly i thought to rotate the impeller and wouldn't you know it.... The impeller had jammed for some strange reason. We have cold winters in Australia, however, my car is always garaged and it almost never gets below zero where i live. Very strange. Once i gave it a nudge it rotated freely and before assembling the cowl covers i ran the a/c to check the rotation and it ran beautifully. What a relief !!! I was very happy to say the least. I was dreading having to replace the blower motor.
    So the best advice i can give to anyone with ventilation issues, FIRST check to see if the fan is not jammed up. This thing has had me running in circles, even replaced the final stage. Oh well, i guess I'll leave it as a spare.

My Cars
    1997 Cosmas Metallic M3 & 1997 Arctic Silver 318TI
    Good input. I have the same problem. I replaced the FSU and it didn't fix it. I only drive my M3 occasionally, so I lifted the hood to see what sort of shape the cowl was in before removing. I saw a couple rodent droppings! I heard someone else mention they love to get up under the cowl during cold weather, so I'm not looking forward to removing the cowl.

My Cars
    88' 325iS
    I used this thread to help diagnose a blower motor not working at all, but seeing the speed change on the HVAC screen. I did the simple resistor replacement and that did not fix my issue.

I started by checking the fuses in relation to the HVAC/air conditioning listed on the fuse box lid by pulling them and checking the resistance. All good.

Next I pulled the relay for blower motor and checked it by following along to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gIZ0weS7iU, relay checked good.

Finally, checked for power at the resistor plug using the above post and found 11v of power.

At this point the only thing left was the actual blower motor. I followed along https://www.dvatp.com/bmw/e36/2010-01-16 to get to the blower motor. Once the cover was off the blower assembly I pulled the wires to check for power with a multimeter which it was. Plugged them back in and the fan turned on! It appears a previous owner changed the blower motor and the connections to it were not tight causing it to get no power.

After purchasing an E36 with just about every typical problem, I want to give back on my findings.

My Cars
    328i
    Your reply here from nearly 12 years ago saved the day and provided a lot of happy here in Charlotte.
    A true thank you from North Carolina.

My Cars
    BMW 318is E36
    I have a problem with the fan not activating. The original problem was with the capacitor in the digital climate control. I replaced that and now the screen works and responds fine. The fan, however will not switch on. If I disconnect the blue connector at the rear of the digital display box the fan comes on. But when I connect it back, the fan becomes unresponsive.
    Please, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Turvey View Post
    I have a problem with the fan not activating. The original problem was with the capacitor in the digital climate control. I replaced that and now the screen works and responds fine. The fan, however will not switch on. If I disconnect the blue connector at the rear of the digital display box the fan comes on. But when I connect it back, the fan becomes unresponsive.
    Please, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated
    Have you replaced your final stage unit?