Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S50B32 Purchase/Swap

My Cars
    99M3 S/C Past:89M3, 89is

S50B32 Purchase/Swap

I'm considering a S50B32 purchase and swap into a '95 US spec M3.

How hard are these motors to find and how much should I expect to pay? Will it need a rebuild? How much to rebuild? Do people know how to do it properly in the US?

I read that I can use the S54 oil pump and radiator. What other components will I need to change?

How hard to find and how much for appropriate 6 speed gearbox?

Roughly how much to perform this swap in entirety?

Thank you for your wisdom.

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    Alex @ ABL Originals can probably help you source a motor and a gear box. He found a good one that just went in my car recently.

The going rate for a good motor is $7500ish.

A total budget of $11 - 15k for the swap is realistic depending on how you do it.

Good luck,

John

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRally View Post

How hard are these motors to find and how much should I expect to pay? Will it need a rebuild? How much to rebuild? Do people know how to do it properly in the US?

I read that I can use the S54 oil pump and radiator. What other components will I need to change?

My Cars
    E36, E46
    How hard are these motors to find and how much should I expect to pay?

>>>Easy. abloriginalparts.com
    I think the price is $7500

Will it need a rebuild? How much to rebuild? Do people know how to do it properly in the US?

>>>Doubtful. They usually come from running cars.
    There are a handful of trustworthy people who can rebuild it in this country if need be.

>>> S54 radiator from an M Coupe/Roadster (not M3)
    Oil pump should not be needed.

>>>$2500-3000

>>> Budget about $10k. You can sell your old stuff to subsidize the project. Youll want to replace wear & maintenance items and maybe do some mods "while you're in there".
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228
    How hard are these motors to find

*** Not hard.

and how much should I expect to pay?

*** mileage is a major contributor to the cost. Low mileage examples are getting harder to come by, and generally, therefore, are more expensive to bring in...in the first place

Will it need a rebuild?

*** We all sure hope not.

How much to rebuild?

*** Depends on how you define "rebuild" naturally, as well as local labor costs and discounts you arrange to buy parts.

Do people know how to do it properly in the US?

*** Its a BMW engine, technically quite similar to an S54, so an experienced dealership with solid techs should be able to handle it as they would have easy access to the tech specs etc.

*** They come with dual pickup pumps and pans if you're talking about the 3.2 version of a euro. Upgrade to radiator, and an exhaust from headers back are the primary differences that will "cost" ya.

*** not hard at all.

*** Extremely dependent on who does the work. It is beer and pizza money if you can borrow an engine hoist and invite the right friends over. Locally, I could have a whole transplant done for under $2500.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    '05 M3 ZCP
    I have a S50B32 with 57k miles and new vanos. $5500...

My Cars
    M3(european)
    I need to set up a business here shipping euro m3 engines to the USA. there is a complete Euro 3.0 M3 local to me for sale for €3500 for the complete car

you should just turbo/SC the bastard. I drive a Euro M3,its fast but it's not 'lets spend $$$$ doing an engine conversion fast'

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Quote Originally Posted by 318ism44 View Post
    I need to set up a business here shipping euro m3 engines to the USA.
    margins are thin...ask me how I know.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    94 Chevy bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by 318ism44 View Post
    I need to set up a business here shipping euro m3 engines to the USA. there is a complete Euro 3.0 M3 local to me for sale for €3500 for the complete car

you should just turbo/SC the bastard. I drive a Euro M3,its fast but it's not 'lets spend $$$$ doing an engine conversion fast'
    if i gave you money would you ship me over one?
    1978 320i- 12psi= blown up m10
    1989 Iroc z camaro- Traded
    1968 Dodge Coronet- Traded
    1999 Honda civic- Traded
    1992 Civic hatch b16b- Traded
    1989 300zx TT- Traded
    1994 Civic SI- Traded
    1989 BMW 325is- traded
    1988 Civic hatch turbo- Sold
    Currently looking for a real sports car....

Quote Originally Posted by DrewDude320i View Post
    Anyone can buy a BMW. But it takes a certain enthusiasm to get involved enough to keep K-jet running right, and to put up with the ever failing hazard switch...and the infinite other e21 quirks. And you're rewarded with unmatchable road feel and classic styling.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    i bought (and still have) a euro 6 spd tranny and driveshaft from Alex.

you'll get good stuff from him.

My Cars
    Porsche
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/e36-...ne-package.htm i found this website anyone know anything about them?.. also i'm considering purchasing a cheap higher mileage m3 and doing this swap on the cheap i hope (reusing 5 spd), is that silly/stupid? anyone know where i can get a better deal on the motor? last but not least.. wwhats the general consensus on euro 3.2 (321) vs 3.0 (286) i know that means starting with a >96 or <96 respectively but in the long run the intial cost difference is negligible so what is the better choice for maintenance, friendliness, legality, modability.. etc?
    Last edited by miketyson; 12-14-2008 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    M3 Cup
    Buying the motor is the easy part. Shipping it to the USA is a completely different story!! I spoke to the EPA recently about this, and it is by far not an easy task indeed! If you do not have the proper paperwork and documentation at the border, one runs the risk of comfiscation at the border and likely fines! These motors were never meant to be used here in the states due to emissions. Thereore, the EPA makes it very difficult to bring these motors over unless it is for race use only and even then you still need the proper documentation from BMW the manufacturer for importation. Believe me I have already tried!

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb374 View Post
    Buying the motor is the easy part. Shipping it to the USA is a completely different story!! I spoke to the EPA recently about this, and it is by far not an easy task indeed! If you do not have the proper paperwork and documentation at the border, one runs the risk of comfiscation at the border and likely fines! These motors were never meant to be used here in the states due to emissions. Thereore, the EPA makes it very difficult to bring these motors over unless it is for race use only and even then you still need the proper documentation from BMW the manufacturer for importation. Believe me I have already tried!
    Do this

YOU CANNOT SHIP TO YOURSELF, preferrably have it shipped from a company address in europe to another company address in the USA makes shit much easier. But if you have to be the one receiving no big deal just a bunch of paperwork and verification that customs needs.... read on

if you ship to your home address ....

if shipped on pallets you need the following.

Detailed description, weight and value of every component on that palet in BOTH english and another language if you ship it from other ports than UK.

Drivers license, Valid US Passport, Title of vehicle(personal affects), bill of lading, invoices from ports upon shipment and arrival.

This worked for me as I told them that getting an engine from europe was much cheaper than buying one in the states my car is a 1999 M3 and NJ Customs are a bunch of dicks.

Thats it all in all it took 22 days from shipping out of Poland to receiving in the US
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishRally View Post

My euro 3.2

engine + tranny + shipping

SuperSprint Exhaust/midsection/headers

Misc pieces... new cooling system, belts, plugs, o2 sensors, little pieces here and there
    2000~

labor
    2500~

yea its still not there
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    1999 M3 Evolution

buy this one

Quote Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/e36-...ne-package.htm i found this website anyone know anything about them?.. also i'm considering purchasing a cheap higher mileage m3 and doing this swap on the cheap i hope (reusing 5 spd), is that silly/stupid? anyone know where i can get a better deal on the motor? last but not least.. wwhats the general consensus on euro 3.2 (321) vs 3.0 (286) i know that means starting with a >96 or <96 respectively but in the long run the intial cost difference is negligible so what is the better choice for maintenance, friendliness, legality, modability.. etc?

you can save $$$ buying this one: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1168477

My Cars
    '09 135i
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    '95 M3, '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
    it looks like bimmerworld got out of the importing euro motors market.
    David Ortiz

My Cars
    95' M3 3.2
    How much does a LHD harness cost?

Cheaper to go through abloriginal.com (RHD engines) or bimmerworld (LHD engines but slightly pricier)?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Sorry for the thread revival, but is abloriginal out of commission? Their website isn't pulling up for me. (Could be cuz i'm at work though)

My Cars
    E30 M3, E93, F350
    I assure you that ABL is alive and kicking.
    He is currently developing a number of stand alone ECU kits as well as providing the community with Euro motors.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=newpm&u=37523

shoot him a PM if the website is experiencing problems. I just checked the website from here, and its working fine.

NASA GTS5 #945
    NASA GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion ('09,'11,'12 & '14)

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Euro Coupe
    Hi there,
    I've been watching and consulting this site for a while now but unfortunately distance has limited my participation.
    I dare post today because reading of this subject made me think about something.
    I am the happy owner of a 1997 Euro spec M3. Some guy imported it directly even before BMW had a strong structure here in Mexico. It's in good condition and only has 54000km. Not a lot.
    I am not selling it yet but was just curious if you guys thought somebody would be interested in the US, knowing it is registered in Mexico.
    The thing is, I really like my baby and thinking of selling it to a real pasionate (and that's what I see here) would make me happier.

Again this is more a question than an ad since I am not in that process yet.

Honestly I am not even sure I am allowed to publish that kind of message here, so sorry if I am not, didn't have any bad intention.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Can't import it to the US legally.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Euro Coupe
    Mmmmh That's what I was afraid of.
    So unless I find someone that's looking for a track only car or for parts to do a swap or something like this, there's no chance.

Too bad then.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 M COUPE
    I have a S50B32 with 26,800 km

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL
    Quote Originally Posted by joan667 View Post
    i have a s50b32 with 26,800 km

wooowwww !!!

My Cars
    4 e21 BAURs; 2011 B7,
    I did the S50b32, six speed manual & M Z3 differential conversion into my 1982 e21 BAUR. Alex Lipowitch is the person who provided me everything including knowlage and support to see this through to the end. He really enjoys working with you and is always availive for advise and suggestion. Check out my project at http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1750815. I highley recommend Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
    Can't import it to the US legally.

Treehouse Rcing has mastered this plug and play system for this or any other conversion. Ask for John Scidirri. They've done two for me with no complications what so ever.
    Last edited by 1rdmanahan1; 12-26-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast