Page 15 of 237 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065115 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your E30 today?

My Cars
    91 332is
    Installed my ellipsoids and my HID kit.

Too bad the lights were aimed straight at the ground!
    "1991 332is - 1998 Supercharged OBDI S52 - E36 5-Lug with E36 M3 Brakes - B&G Coilovers - 2.93 LSD - Style 5's"
    Gone but not forgotten

"1997 M3"
    Currently being restored past its former glory

My Cars
    1992 525i-e34

Broke part number four, tried to bend it back. didnt work. so im rolling without it till tomorrow. put the doorpanel on incorrectly. broke all the plastic clips. my arm rest attacked me while i was driving. nice.
    what else. took out my factory amp. decided to buy a proper four channel.
    aaaand. car starts shaking at 100=mph. need to get control arms done. or CAB. oil service light came up. and timing belt started squealing.

fucking shit. c'mon payday....

My Cars
    90' 24v, 89' 325is
    didnt do anything to mine .. because im waiting on all my stuff and one of my UK sellers is bieng a royal pain in the behind

My Cars
    '95 540i-6spd
    Fixed my OEM 6 disck changer so both my car and I get to listen to tunes now. Do BMW's like Country? Next is an Ipod hookup into the system.
    Also glued the little black door panel clip thingies back onto the door panels. Gorilla glue is a wonder. No more floping around for the panels.
    Mike

Just remember that life is what passes you by while you're planning for it.

My Cars
    E34 525i E24 635csi euro
    replaced all the belts (fan, ac compressor, power steering) froze my balls off cause its about 15f around here... found out that my timing belt was recently replaced and am super stoked... now looking for some sport seats. Ohhh baby i forgot i even had an e34 and oh damn that needs a transmission

My Cars
    90 325i 4dr
    Installed spacers to make dem BBS HERRA FRUSH MANG!

My Cars
    88 325ic, 07 Taco
    sprayed the rockers on my vert. hosed down the seat hinges with wd40 again hoping that the seat will work a little better. put in a new front seal on my top that i found at a salvage yard. Not perfect, but a lot better than what was there. And $195+cheaper!

My Cars
    '84 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by MJA95 View Post
    Do BMW's like Country?
    Nope

My Cars
    1992 525i-e34
    alternator was hungry. so it decided to eat my belt. then it almost overheated. then i cracked my plastic bumper trying to push it in the driveway with another car because of the incline. then i spent an hour trying to take off the fucking thing, just to realize i unscrewed the bracket, not the alt. then i take the alt off. admire the belt. which is missing like 9 teeth. and now im tryin to figure out how to take off the other two belts.

heres to doing shit the first time, just to realize you need to sit down, and RTFM. oh. and here's to colorado snow! in the driveway. at 1145 at night. with a led light dying on you, and you cant feel your face, and the wrenches are starting to stick because its so damn cold.

so much for the damn door.

My Cars
    4dr(E46 323i, E30 325e)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreus99 View Post

heres to doing shit the first time, just to realize you need to sit down, and RTFM. oh. and here's to colorado snow! in the driveway. at 1145 at night. with a led light dying on you, and you cant feel your face, and the wrenches are starting to stick because its so damn cold.

so much for the damn door.
    someones pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    sprayed the rockers on my vert. hosed down the seat hinges with wd40 again hoping that the seat will work a little better.
    Did the same! but with a undercoating type stuff. I find it eliminates noise a tad, i also sprayed it in my trans tunnel and shaft tunnel, reduces noise a bit,
    Last edited by mastermatty; 01-13-2009 at 12:09 PM.

My Cars
    none
    I checked on it several times as it sits under a cover on the side of the street, surrounded by snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreus99 View Post
    ...here's to colorado snow!...

My Cars
    1984 325es
    Waited to pick it up.

My Cars
    1988 325is, 2007 328xi

A few photos of my 87 325is

A few photos of my 87 325is...

today I listened to the tranny chirp every time I step off the clutch in 1st. Awaiting some warmer weather before I drop the tranny to get at the clutch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1987 BMW M30E30
    I didn't actually DO anything to my e30 today, but I did pick up a re-manufactured serviceable drive shaft for my car for 75 bucks! I was lucky enough that another enthusiast was willing to help me out and had one lying around. So tomorrow it's drive shaft in and finally onto suspension.
    Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i, 2005 Land Rover LR3
    Drove 100 mph...

My Cars
    1991 318is alpineweiss
    ha today was a big day! the mark D chip and the 35w 6000k xenons came in the mail! got the chip under the dash..a stripped screw tried to halt my plans, but after some macgyvering with a flathead, i got her in! xenons went in like a sinch, then took her for a drive up highway 1 latenight!
    1991 318is, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Santa Cruz chameleon

[IMG]file:///Users/grantlacey/Downloads/0920080910.jpg[/IMG]

My Cars
    '87 325is, '96 328i
    Installed some 6.5" Alpine type Rs in the kick panels today. Finally have balanced sound!

My Cars
    1992 525i-e34
    check craigslist for a e30 bentley under 50 dollars.
    read up on haynes.
    laughed at the parts guy @ carquest when he said a bosch 90a alternator was 344.00
    about to take off the p/s+a/c to change the belt. because im bored.
    looking for pricing on a bosh alternator. not some weird 5th party manufacturer. i threw my bavauto ultimate cover thing on it. sitting on stands in the driveway. feeling like a bum as my gf drives me around.

would it be bad to pull an alt off a junkyard e30?

dinglenuts-how'd you get the ps/ac off? the adjusting bracket didnt do anything. i'll read up on it also, but i figured i'd throw that at you. i miss my e30. its friggin weird riding in another car. im like. turning radius sucks. turning sucks. acceleration sucks. theres no wind noise...we're not sliding back and forth when you drive. your car is so alien to me. heheh. honda accords are weird. ugh.
    Last edited by Atreus99; 01-13-2009 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    Ok, so this didn't all happen today, it's been over the past week but it's been on my mind every day since then...

I received my door lock repair kit and disemboweled my drivers side door. Removed old cruddy worn lock but never managed to get it apart. Put new lock cylinder, tumblers and springs together through trial and error, finally got everything flush with cylinder... good deal. Got door lock together despite all instructions being in German and diagram not being especially clear (oh, and "mechanic" - me- being brand new to this kind of stuff)

Put the lock back in the door, got everything put back together and....

the lock doesn't turn when it's all connected.

It works fine outside the door with the key, but once inside, the key turns to the unlock position but not at all to the right. I have my Bentley, I have 2 other books with e30 projects and I'm going to read through them all before determining that the door lock mechanism ($190) needs to be replaced.

So I wound up putting the door panel back on because I couldn't stand to leave her all torn up sitting in the garage.

And that's my latest e30 adventure...

My Cars
    '92 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony2bmw View Post
    I received my door lock repair kit and disemboweled my drivers side door. Removed old cruddy worn lock but never managed to get it apart. Put new lock cylinder, tumblers and springs together through trial and error, finally got everything flush with cylinder... good deal. Got door lock together despite all instructions being in German and diagram not being especially clear (oh, and "mechanic" - me- being brand new to this kind of stuff)
    Where'd you get your door lock repair kit?I think somebody recently tried to get into my car without a key and fubarred my driver's door lock.

My Cars
    1976 2002, 1998 328is
    Sorted through all my incoming parts for head rebuild (see previous post in this thread about breaking a rocker arm).

Identified various miscellaneous gaskets and seals in the "head gasket kit" and packed the parts in one box -- new rockers, rocker shafts, valve springs, etc.

Packed my head core in another box.

Tomorrow I'll ship them to Eagle Automotive Machine in Auburn, Georgia. e30 racers referred me to Eagle and assured me it was worth the shipping to have them do my head rebuild.

Eagle promises a two- to three-day turnaround.

With luck, my e30 will be up and running again before the end of the month.

Oh, and it ought to be running much better than before. In disassembling the head, we discovered my timing was off by one cam gear tooth, and my throttle cable had a half-inch of play so I was likely never hitting WOT.

d.hitchcock
    Avus 1998 328is, No. 191 STX
    Orientblau 2000 323i Touring
    Malaga 1976 2002

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertVert View Post
    Where'd you get your door lock repair kit?I think somebody recently tried to get into my car without a key and fubarred my driver's door lock.
    I ordered it from RM European (http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-parts.aspx). For my '90 325i, it was about $44 including shipping. Again, all the instructions are in German, and the Bentley has you pull way more parts out than you need to to actually swap the door lock.

I found this really helpful though: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/48131

If I figure out anything really useful when I get mine working again, I'll be sure to mention it

My Cars
    4dr(E46 323i, E30 325e)
    Quote Originally Posted by grantlacey11 View Post
    ha today was a big day! the mark D chip and the 35w 6000k xenons came in the mail! got the chip under the dash..a stripped screw tried to halt my plans, but after some macgyvering with a flathead, i got her in! xenons went in like a sinch, then took her for a drive up highway 1 latenight!
    how well did your chip respond... pretty good performance boost would you say?

and lets see pix of your zenons!

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertVert View Post
    You can also order them new and coded to your key. Numbers 10 or 11 in the link. realoem
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    '91 318i, '38 327 Cabriolet (project)
    Picked it up from the mechanic after having a pile of work done. Had the weather been better, I'd have done it, or at least most of it because it wasn't rocket science, but it was time consuming, the car needed it, and I like to be thorough because I use the car for commuting. All vacuum and coolant hoses were replaced (lots of hoses on an M42!), and the O2 sensor was swapped along with plugs, wires, air, and fuel filters just because the bits in there were getting rather old. The wires appeared to be original. A bit spendy, but worth it for a happy E30. The mechanic was quite thorough, going to the trouble of cleaning everything prior to reassembly; he was even kind enough to clean some latent brake dust off the Ronals before handing the keys over.

After picking the little beast up, I drove her for about 100 mi today and it drives like a VERY happy e30. She feels much younger than her 18 years!

Anyone on Long Island loooking for a competent, honest, personable, and thorough mechanic in Suffolk county should check out Expedition Imports. Scott Dalton, the owner, knows his stuff and appears to be quite passionate - and he's one of few mechanics I've seen with a Bridgeport milling machine at the back of the shop. If he can't find a part, he'll apparently make one.
    Website at www.expeditionimports.org
    Last edited by bmw327; 01-14-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Chris
    '91 318i
    '38 327 Cabriolet (project)

Page 15 of 237 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065115 ... LastLast