Thread: What did you do to your E30 today?

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    I looked at the bottom and determined I need a sheet of 48x24x1/4" aluminum to make a skid plate. Home Depot / Lowes do not carry that size.
    go to any sign making shop there are three different standard thicknesses they use for signs. either the second or most thickest is the one you want. can't remember which. i'm getting a sign shop to make my oil pan baffle. was quoted $30 CDN which is a decent price for a make safe go fast part.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    There ended up being a Metal Supermarket .4 miles from my house. $96 later, I have this weekend's project.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Tested my fuel pressure today, only running on 25psi. Goes to 35 if I pull the vacuum line off the regulator. Goes way up over 95psi if I block off the return line from the regulator so according to the Bentley I need a new regulator. Looking forward to getting it and seeing if things improve after I put the new one on.

My Cars
    Bmw e30 325is 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    Gazed at it while drinking my coffee at work.
    😎

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    I installed LED lights in the side markers. Will get led lights for interior dome and trunk lights today, might put them in the stop/tail/turn today too if I can find them all. I'm curious to see if they trip the 'check' panel.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is

What did you do to your E30 today?

Quote Originally Posted by o2bsenna View Post
    Drove the beasty to work today.Working on touching up some of the road rash on the car. Called several pin stripe guys as I want to do subtle ///Motorsports strips down the side. Got the LED bulbs in. DANG what a difference! Attachment 594558
    I bought my e30 with motor sports pinstripes, I love it. I need to get the car repainted after I fix some bad rust, but I'm definitely getting them again. Looks so cool on silver.

Regardless, the new thermostat and housing went in, tomorrow its new belts and coolant and she's back on the road
    Last edited by Bairdogg; 05-02-2017 at 09:09 AM.

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Just finished replacing the rear diff oil and much needed degreasing/cleaning under the engine. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the oil pan gasket. Anyone have any advice on doing the oil pan? I have the Bentley manual but it pretty much says drop steering rack and loosen all the 10mm bolt heads.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    http://www.rtsauto.com/e30-bmw-oil-p...d-replacement/

Searching the internet for your question is the almost always the fastest and easiest way to get your answer. I searched "remove oil pan without removing steering rack e30"
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Thanks. I've only read the Bentley and the procedure notes on the pelican parts site.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    I didn't drop the rack. I lifted the engine just like I did when I replaced motor mounts. Gave me just enough room.
    1987 325is Zinneberot 5spd totally stock multiple show winner
    1992 325iC M-Technic factory appearance package, Diamantschwarz metallic, black nappa leather, black top, Dinan chip, K&N CAI, Remus exhaust
    1997 528i Schwartz II, 5spd stick daily driver
    1999 M Roadster, Dakar Yellow II, Dinan Stage 3, Dinan CAI, Dinan throttle body, Redline driveline, LiquiMoly 5w40 engine, BC Racing BR coilovers, Motion Motorsport under panel, S54 radiator and fan delete, BavSound speakers, Kenwood CD/iPod/aux/Bluetooth
    2001 Z3 3.0i coupe, Sapphire Black, auto (dang), suede headliner, LeatherZ sunroof screen
    2016 228i, Sapphire Black, 6 speed, M Sport Package
    1993 325iC, Schwarz II, custom leather, Bilstein HDs, Ansa sport, Royal Purple engine and driveline SOLD
    1997 318ti Active, Bostongruen, daily driver SOLD

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    They're both helpful.

My Cars
    1998 z3m roadster
    I had trouble putting the pan back on without knocking the gasket off no matter whether I gooped it to the engine or to the pan so I stuck it to the engine then used thread to tie it in every second bolt hole, slid the pan in and put the bolts back really loosely on the non thread holes, pulled the threads out and put the rest of the bolts on and tightened it.

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
    I had trouble putting the pan back on without knocking the gasket off no matter whether I gooped it to the engine or to the pan so I stuck it to the engine then used thread to tie it in every second bolt hole, slid the pan in and put the bolts back really loosely on the non thread holes, pulled the threads out and put the rest of the bolts on and tightened it.
    I've used that very same methodology successfully. Great work!

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    That's a great idea, but tying all those little knots would annoy me. Why not a thin smear of black rtv or dirko on the pan, press the gasket on it, let it tack up a bit, and then install it?

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    That's a great idea, but tying all those little knots would annoy me. Why not a thin smear of black rtv or dirko on the pan, press the gasket on it, let it tack up a bit, and then install it?
    I haven't done the gasket swap yet, but I've got black rtv at the ready to do as you suggest. It may be a few months before I do this because it will also be the opportunity to change out the ball joints and bushings and sway bar components. I'm considering getting a thicker sway bar and trying to decide on struts. I like the factory ride height but I also want it a bit stiffer. My son will eventually be driving this car and I don't think a rookie driver mixes well with a lowered car. All it takes is one speed bump and the car is dead....

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Bilstein HDs and stock springs. Used frequently in the rallycross world for a stiffer ride but no loss of ground clearance. Front sway bar is a great upgrade.

One thing that is great for new drivers, in my opinion, is a louder than stock exhaust. Not obnoxious, mind you, but lout enough that they can instantly hear all RPM changes. They're concentrating on so many new things the subtle drone of a stock exhaust gets completed blurred out and then they forget to shift.

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    Did my Oil change Yesterday,ordered some timing belt stuff,clips,rubber,coolant,all water hoses,sender here sender there,thermostat,water pump,detent cable bought just in case,and throttle cable,more clips,resister,and other stufffffff ..................Nice tomorrow should be a good day to do a timing belt cross my fingers....TDC right...

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    Did my Oil change Yesterday,ordered some timing belt stuff,clips,rubber,coolant,all water hoses,sender here sender there,thermostat,water pump,detent cable bought just in case,and throttle cable,more clips,resister,and other stufffffff ..................Nice tomorrow should be a good day to do a timing belt cross my fingers....TDC right...
    Any progress on your Tbelt change and the rest on your list?

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    Still waiting on some plastic parts for timing belt cover...hopefully by Friday and it's been 2 weeks now..I'm getting the hebbie gebbies just thinking about this TB and can't wait for this to be done and feel at ease that i won't have to do it in 4 yrs
    Hard to get half decent parts around here especially for a 30 year old car,with only 4 auto parts stores,so i buy all my stuff on line.
    I want to make sure i have every thing i need
    Engine Coolant Hose Stay

Rubber Seal - Timing Cover
    Holding Cover - Front of Timing Belt Cover

Holding Clip - Front of Timing Belt Cover
    Guide Pin - Timing Belt Tensioner

x2 Cable Guide Clip
    Throttle Body Water Housing Gasket

Fuel Injection Throttle Body Coolant Heater Flange

So far i have this stuff....

20170419_173942.jpg

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    Hard to get half decent parts around here especially for a 30 year old car,with only 4 auto parts stores,so i buy all my stuff on line.
    If you have a Carquest or Advance Auto, they should have access to World Pac. Give them a BMW part number and if World Pac has it, you can have it in a couple of hours. At least here we can. Great for when I need something fast. And usually very competitive with online pricing. Usually OEM stuff, too.
    1987 325is Zinneberot 5spd totally stock multiple show winner
    1992 325iC M-Technic factory appearance package, Diamantschwarz metallic, black nappa leather, black top, Dinan chip, K&N CAI, Remus exhaust
    1997 528i Schwartz II, 5spd stick daily driver
    1999 M Roadster, Dakar Yellow II, Dinan Stage 3, Dinan CAI, Dinan throttle body, Redline driveline, LiquiMoly 5w40 engine, BC Racing BR coilovers, Motion Motorsport under panel, S54 radiator and fan delete, BavSound speakers, Kenwood CD/iPod/aux/Bluetooth
    2001 Z3 3.0i coupe, Sapphire Black, auto (dang), suede headliner, LeatherZ sunroof screen
    2016 228i, Sapphire Black, 6 speed, M Sport Package
    1993 325iC, Schwarz II, custom leather, Bilstein HDs, Ansa sport, Royal Purple engine and driveline SOLD
    1997 318ti Active, Bostongruen, daily driver SOLD

My Cars
    1988 BMW e30 325i
    Hi. I'm new here!
    My E30 just restored but not fully assembled
    BeiBfiZRJJc.jpg

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Nice, welcome!
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    Well this just came in the mail today now i have every thing i need.....plus the rubber seal is suppose to be GENUINE BMW but the logo looks blurry all bought from QE autoparts and claims GENUINE BMW....
    OK last question when i change the Crankshaft oil seal and the big orange O-Ring the top one I'm referring too.Is that bolt a 7 mm Torx or 7mm hex looking at the Bentley looks like a Torx head......they say 7mm hex but just want to make sure it's not a typo error. Most of that stuff i might not need but since i'm doing the timing belt may as well change all the plastic parts that are 30 years old....
    So they call for rain all week here that right rain till next Thursday but could change..Thank god for the garage and don't dare drive my car in the rain it would be a good time to start the timing belt....It gives me a week to Get-Ur Done....lol

20170526_200308.jpg20170526_200451.jpg20170526_200502.jpg
    Last edited by rustneversleeps; 05-26-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: words

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    ok finally jumping in on this thread... so... long post

today - swapped in the Programa OBDC light bar. Piece of cake. Getting to it was like cutting a piece of cake with a socket wrench; some parts of that little dashboard fascia were cracked; other parts crumbled on disassembly. Glued the bits back together, letting it set up overnight.
    Also reworked the glove box lock cylinder to work with the car's key. Turns out it's a non-BMW replacement lock assembly; just kind of filed down the tumblers to make it work. Should be easy to pick, but those glove box locks are easier to "pick" with a heavy screwdriver, so, not gonna worry about it.

yesterday - put in CD43 to E30 antenna adapter. Radio works great, stations' content still an issue

last weekend - put up a retractable awning to park under

this spring -
    discovered the joy of driving around with the top down, the stereo on, and my sweetie riding shotgun
    re-assembled interior
    replaced steering wheel (ripped leather) with used E30 wheel (worn but non-ripped)
    got shop to find & fix a grounding issue; in the process, they lined up & re-seated dash & cluster better than it was
    replaced original tape deck, removed outboard amp, added 3 ohm JBL speakers and all new speaker wire, added a couple Kenwood mini bass boxes to offload low-end work from the CD43's "high power" amp
    deep clean & detail all leather, vinyl, carpet, plastic inside with chemical guys stuff
    had top replaced by local Convertibles Only shop - they also cleared vents & drains I hadn't found yet
    fell out of love with old leaky convertibles
    chased down leaks
    cleaned out front drain in engine compartment
    replaced tail light gaskets

this winter -
    replaced driveway & patios, adding a parking pad next to bonus room (fka "garage")(lost the bid to re-convert garage from bonus room to car parking)
    chased down leaks
    dehumidified & dried out car - repeatedly - a near-daily chore for 2 months
    chased down leaks
    stripped interior down to metal & wiring harnesses
    chased down leaks
    temp repairs to tail light gaskets (including 3rd tail light)
    chased down leaks
    discovered the joy of driving a bimmer with all 4 wheels pointing the same direction
    had springs, shocks, bushings, control arms etc replaced with all new BMW-stock parts
    chased down leaks
    replaced mats, bulbs, lenses etc as needed
    chased down leaks
    had timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, gearbox seal, tires replaced
    bought car
    discovered how much fun driving an old bimmer is

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
    ok finally jumping in on this thread... so... long post

today - swapped in the Programa OBDC light bar. Piece of cake. Getting to it was like cutting a piece of cake with a socket wrench; some parts of that little dashboard fascia were cracked; other parts crumbled on disassembly. Glued the bits back together, letting it set up overnight.
    Also reworked the glove box lock cylinder to work with the car's key. Turns out it's a non-BMW replacement lock assembly; just kind of filed down the tumblers to make it work. Should be easy to pick, but those glove box locks are easier to "pick" with a heavy screwdriver, so, not gonna worry about it.

yesterday - put in CD43 to E30 antenna adapter. Radio works great, stations' content still an issue

last weekend - put up a retractable awning to park under

this spring -
    discovered the joy of driving around with the top down, the stereo on, and my sweetie riding shotgun
    re-assembled interior
    replaced steering wheel (ripped leather) with used E30 wheel (worn but non-ripped)

got shop to find & fix a grounding issue; in the process, they lined up & re-seated dash & cluster better than it was
    replaced original tape deck, removed outboard amp, added 3 ohm JBL speakers and all new speaker wire, added a couple Kenwood mini bass boxes to offload low-end work from the CD43's "high power" amp
    deep clean & detail all leather, vinyl, carpet, plastic inside with chemical guys stuff
    had top replaced by local Convertibles Only shop - they also cleared vents & drains I hadn't found yet
    fell out of love with old leaky convertibles
    chased down leaks
    cleaned out front drain in engine compartment
    replaced tail light gaskets

this winter -
    replaced driveway & patios, adding a parking pad next to bonus room (fka "garage")(lost the bid to re-convert garage from bonus room to car parking)
    chased down leaks
    dehumidified & dried out car - repeatedly - a near-daily chore for 2 months
    chased down leaks
    stripped interior down to metal & wiring harnesses
    chased down leaks
    temp repairs to tail light gaskets (including 3rd tail light)
    chased down leaks
    discovered the joy of driving a bimmer with all 4 wheels pointing the same direction
    had springs, shocks, bushings, control arms etc replaced with all new BMW-stock parts
    chased down leaks
    replaced mats, bulbs, lenses etc as needed
    chased down leaks
    had timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, gearbox seal, tires replaced
    bought car
    discovered how much fun driving an old bimmer is

Page 214 of 237 FirstFirst ... 114164189204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224 ... LastLast