Thread: What did you do to your E30 today?

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    update to previous post:

fixed all electrical issues. Moron at circuit city butchered the wiring installing the old radio. Fixed butchered wiring in trunk. Installed new radio and component speakers. The moron didnt even use the existing tweeters. I took those out and replaced with mine. Sounds great now. Replaced all burnt out lights. Found a glove box switch in Athens, Greece so now the light in the glove box works. Seats were broken/rusted and fixed and lubed them up. Up to 7 cans of mink oil on seats. They are starting to look better. (damn they were hungry). Replaced lights in cluster. Powered antenna was toast due to water intrusion. (fixed). Sealed up the hole and installed a hidden antenna in the dash. (works great btw). Cleaned carpets and sewed up the leather cover in steering wheel and rips in 2 of the seats. Doesnt look the greatest, but at least wont get worse. This past weekend, i installed new belts, water pump, timing belt, new fan/clutch, camshaft seals. Adjusted the valves and installed a new vc gasket. Had to remove the intake to get to the old hoses near the firewall. Waiting on hoses and gaskets to put it back together. Ordered a 1.2bar cap. Going back and forth weather i want to put a new heater thermostat (the recall one) or just delete it. Got new thermostat to install when i get to that point. While i have the intake off, going to replace the o rings on the injectors. Thinking of painting the vc and the intake while i have them off. Getting real close to be able to drive it.
    Last edited by doctorx69; 04-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Managed to replace the fuel supply and return lines in the engine bay. PO or someone previously used some cheap branded SS lines, every now and then i had to "snip off" a few cm at the feed since it was constantly causing leaks. Found out, under the car, standard hose clamps were used at the metal lines. All that is gone, proper fuel lines are in, high quality Italian made ones as well, with proper "one eye" type hose clamps at the metal lines. Now i can drive, knowing no more issues with the fuel lines.

If i am lucky, Saturday will go back to the DIY workshop, all new OE coolant hoses and radiator install, which takes car of overhauling the cooling system. Need to adjust the valves, TPS, replace the brake booster vacuum hoses and rear transmission seal and i can start tackling the rust and paint work.

Fingers crossed for Saturday, workshop is fully booked due to changing winter tires to summer.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Painted the intake and valve cover. new vc gasket, new hoses, waiting on new heater core and valve. I decided to not put in the extra thermostat, but i have poor luck when it comes to heater cores. I just decided i would replace all i can. I could not get the upper aluminum pipe, but it looks decent shape that i can tell without taking the core out. readjusted the valves after buying the bmw idiot proof tool. I love that thing. Once i get the heater core swapped out, i can put the engine back together. I may be able to get it on the road next week... here to hoping.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    replaced heater core and piping. Got all the engine back together but realized i bought the wrong lower rad hose. So next weekend i hope to get the coolant in (praying for no leaks...especially in interior). Changed the oil and diff fluid. Realized i do not have a 17mm allen socket to change the mt fluid. mt-90 going in.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Replaced the passenger side strut mount, when i replaced the suspension in feb one mount had abnormal play. It is a Sachs brand and later i found out, there is some manufacturing defekt from some of them. New Meyle one went in, nice and tight without play.

Replaced both complete tie rods, then i attempted to replace the transmission output shaft seal for a third time. Only this time, as everything was removed, it was clearly a selector shaft seal and not the rear main seal, which was strange.

Nevertheless, that got replaced, damaged 3 exhaust to cat studs (will fix this next week). Took the car home from the DIY workshop and still smelled transmission fluid being burned on the exhaust, which frustrated me. I was about to order new seals (both selector shaft and output shaft) and maybe even a new flange since i could not get a seal back there (used Curil K2 BTW).

Today, at the alignment shop, i looked under the car, saw a dry exhaust. Okay? then i looked at the rear of the transmission. It was bone dry (i always clean the area very well). I stuck my arm up towards the selector shaft, touched it with my finger, again dry. Looks like (knock on wood) the transmission is finally sealed and the oil smell was just residual fluid being burned off.

I shall adjust the valves tomorrow at the parking place (it was my fault for incorrectly adjusting them in the first place, sounds like a tractor now) and need to adjust the TPS and throttle screw CORRECTLY. After those two are completed, i shall paint the side mirrors. Tuesday back in the DIY to replace the exhaust studs, replacing the radiator + all coolant hoses and rebuild the front and rear brakes (new seals and pistons).

Then i need to decide on rust and paint repair.

New RS Mesh wheels arrived, sadly i am not fond of them. I may sell them and used my refurbished MSW 1962a wheels instead, unsure. But i would need track day wheels if i use the MSW as daily.
    Last edited by H.J. 1981; 04-17-2019 at 03:54 PM.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Drained the old gas from tank and replaced the mt transmission fluid with mt-90.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    got engine together finally and trying to bleed the cooling system. Bought a pressure tester and that saved a lot of headache. Now to put interior back together

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Had to have my 325e towed in because of fuel starvation. Replaced (diy) both fuel pumps and the filter for a bit more peace of mind. Car now idles smoother and has more power...who knew!

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    First real drive today since i acquired mine. Wow that was fun.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Managed to rebuild all the calipers. New seals, pistons, guide pins, bolts etc.

Sadly i could not change the lines to SS, driver's side front line was seized and after spending an hour trying very carefully to loosen the nut, it eventually rounded. So a new line is in order, good news is that the brakes are much much better, now they bite nicely and no need to really start depressing the pedal to get the car to stop.

I have one small oil leak, it is coming from the oil pump drive gear cap, it is where the early M20 engines used to have the distributor.

Thing is, should one replace that needle bearing as well? does the needle bearing come off with the cap? or just replace the seal and do not touch the bearing?

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    brakes are underrated

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Since i got the E30, i knew the brakes needed something. However, the discs barely have a lip on them, pads are still alright. Gave it a proper flush and no change, still needed to press the pedal harder than normal to get a response from them.

Frenkit sell complete kits including the piston for less than €10, another €8 or so for new guid pins and bolts. Got me a set for each caliper and made a big difference. Just wish i got those SS lines installed.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    gah... leaking coolant from new water pump gasket... i get to do this all over again. need a beer.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    hey doctorx69, which hidden antenna did you use? I like the clean no antenna look so I would rather go with something like you said you used
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Picked up my refreshed MSW 1962a wheels.

I am very happy with the colour and polished lip combo.

Shame, the cap is about 2-3mm too big (i ordered a 59mm cap), looks like i need to hunt the correct size. I love how they look on the car now, even the ET12 slightly widened track, i can feel more stability.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    well.. redid the water pump twice on sat... but finally leak free.

@superJ I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it in the e30 and my 92 gmc sonoma that i refused to drill a new hole for antenna in brand new front fenders.

I found an antenna delete plug off of ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-Ant...72.m2749.l2649

Been very happy with this. Do not miss the powered antenna at all (not that it worked though)
    Last edited by doctorx69; 04-29-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    What was the issue with the pump? gasket not sealing correctly?

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    the first time, i torqued it to spec, but apparently it wasnt enough and it was leaking. They were loose with i took it apart. The second time, the gasket slipped and i didnt catch it until i put engine back together. The third time was the charm. I was very careful and used a different sealer that sets up in an hour instead of 24. leak free, but now the external fuel pump going out... about left me stranded this afternoon.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Very strange Doctorx69, i torqued mine to spec (i believe 10nm or so) and never leaked (knock on wood). But i go over every bolts 2-3 times to be sure, the torque is spread evenly, except the cylinder head bolts off course during the angle torque. No sealant, nothing special, gasket, pump, bolts and torque.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    curiously, I had to use sealant on the thermostat housing too. I just could not get it to seal. I just changed the water pump on my 92 GMC Sonoma a couple of months ago and did not need sealant. Luck of the draw i guess.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    She about stranded me yesterday. After taking her to get tires balanced and finding out they were dry rotted and one was way out of balance, lost power and check engine light came on. Limped home and got code 1221 with stomp test. However, after researching, I jumpered the fuel pump relay and the exterior one was very loud and buzzing. I have ordered a new exterior and interior pump. I dont think it is rust or sediment. I just drained the tank of very old gas and filled it up with fresh. Very little sediment came out. Parent stored it with half of tank or more of gas. I didnt see anything when i pulled my fuel sending unit to fix. It had heavy coat of varnish on it and took a bit to get it working again. I am not saying that i knocked some loose, but before i drove it home in january, I filled it to max. I think it is like several other things... it just sat too long with old gas in it.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Hence why i follow the manual, there are no sealants of any kind needed to be applied to any of the gaskets. With the exception of the front and rear engine seal cover/rear crank seal cover, since there is a chance of destroying the oil pan gasket in the process (the PO shop applied some sort of super glue silicone).

The rear transmission output shaft seal requires an anaerobic sealant on the threads/shaft and nut, but everything else goes on dry.

On the thermostat did you make sure that it is seated in the housing correctly, and that the O-ring is correctly seated as well? i had to remove the O-ring and double check, orientation was off.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    yes... yes... and yes... and i did follow the bently to the letter. I even went and bought another oring of different brand and thermostat and it made no difference. I appreciate you saying that no sealants are needed, however i tried doing that twice with this car. I also tried tightening way past torque specs that i was comfortable with. Still would not pass the pressure test. As little as 4 psi and it was leaking. Only thing i can think of is the mating surfaces wasnt completely flat.

This isnt my first rodeo with mechanical fixes. I have changed out 2 water pumps on my gmc also without using anything but gasket.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Very strange indeed, or maybe the pump itself ist slightly off during the casting process. Well, if a sealant was the only way to get a proper seal, it is fine. Glad you got it done though.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx69 View Post
    well.. redid the water pump twice on sat... but finally leak free.

@superJ I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it in the e30 and my 92 gmc sonoma that i refused to drill a new hole for antenna in brand new front fenders.

I found an antenna delete plug off of ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-Ant...72.m2749.l2649

Been very happy with this. Do not miss the powered antenna at all (not that it worked though)

Ok, cool. I can use it in the kids e30s and my sonoma, too.

Thanks
    No e30s again.

Page 223 of 237 FirstFirst ... 123173198213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233 ... LastLast