Thread: What did you do to your E30 today?

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Nice. hopefully that takes care of all the little things so its back to smooth sailing
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    01/87 325i convertible
    i really took my time with the oil pan to be certain that everything was indeed clean and dry.
    a friend of mine who works on e30s told me if you're not leaking some type of fluid thats when you should start to worry mine drips a tiny bit but when i check the oil & antifreeze it doesn't seem like i've lost a bit. i stopped worrying about it.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Every car responds differently to oil leaks. Generally speaking an oil leak on the M20 is also a possible vacuum leak. In my case, i was chasing a rough running M20B25 for months. Checked everything, replaced everything (ignition system, fuel system, every single hose, sensor, hose clamp etc) and still ran rough.

Only when i replaced the pan gasket, did the engine's "personality" completely change. It was quiet, idled super smooth, no more throttle "lag" etc. In my case, that oil pan leak meant, a vacuum leak, or air being sucked into the crankcase directly (not a good thing at all).

Small tiny "wet" areas (such as the valve cover) would not really cause, in the real world, a vacuum issue.

That oil pan leak is the only leak i have had in the E30 and it drove me insane to get it sorted, since i replaced the gasket 3-4 times now. At least now, i can focus on replacing those SI batteries, pulling out those minor dents and polishing the original 30 year old paint (just a little, not looking for a perfect job) and actually have fun with it.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Okay, it appears that the oil pan is not leaking anymore. The "problematic area" for me was the passenger side lower corner, it appears to be dry.

However, for a while now i have suspected the valve cover gasket, including those rubber end plugs, are not seating correctly and seeping/leaking a bit.

I know for a fact, one of the front plugs is leaking, since i see engine oil seeking above the oil pump. One of the rear plugs is not sitting to my liking.

The gasket always looks "wet", so it appears i have several small seepages all around the valve cover, and making its way down to the rear bell housing/transmission cover and onto the protective underbody aluminum tray.

I shall do my best to get that area clean with some brake cleaner and replace the gasket and plugs (i have several of them) and add some RTV/Silicon/Hylomar on those plugs to help seal them.

Next week, the car will get new complete tie rods, upper strut mounts and tie rod boots, as well as all new rubber brake lines. So it would be a good chance to actually inspect the pan for leak(s) or not.

My Cars
    '03 ZHP TiAg, '90 332i
    I finally brought it home. Its has had an S52 in it for 3 years, but it has yet to run. It keeps throwing a camshaft position sensor code. After replacing the sensor twice(with a cheap FAE, and then a OEM VDO sensor), replacing the harness, getting a new tuned DME, and re-timing the motor, I still cant get it to run correctly. It just keeps throwing the CPS code.

I ordered a new CPS sensor from BMW. If that doesnt fix it, I might just go insane.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    that sucks /\

I cannot help with any ideas though
    No e30s again.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    Awesome. Pretty curious now.
    I’ll post pics as soon as finished and mounted. These are my winter wheels though, so it’ll be in a couple of months..!
    I’m not a pro painter by any means, so there’s also the chance of messing it up completely.
    I will come back on it!
    Meh, I don't like it.
    It doesn't look really bad or anything, but it would work much better with bigger wheels I think. This isn't it.
    It was a relaxing job to do so no regrets. Time to think of a new color, so I can change them again next summer

^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    man, the wagon version of the e30s looks so useful. I have never been a two door car person and preferred the 4 door e30 over the rest but that wagon looks like its the best combination of everything
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Absolutely..! The only real downside is that it lacks a safe spot to put expensive stuff in. Everything is accessible by breaking a window whereas the sedan has this nice locker/trunk you can't just get to.
    For the rest I can't think of any negatives. Especially when you're going somewhere with wife & 2 small kids, the extra room in the back is welcome.

Every now and then it's put to work for cleaning up the garden, or picking up a number of heavy tiles or a cupboard of whatever. With a protective cover and a bit of care you can fit a lot of crap in there.
    The looks of the touring really had to grow on me though as I always thought of the touring as not a full E30, but time fixed that (I've owned this one since 2014).
    ^ true story

My Cars
    01/87 325i convertible
    2020 Updates so far
    - New timing belt & water pump, complete fluids flush
    - Adjusted valves
    - Replaced fuel pump and lift pump
    - New fan clutch
    - Swapped black engine hoses for red
    - New window fluid sensor
    - Added Garagiastic engine brace
    - Replaced cracked fuse panel
    - Replaced all door locking mechanisms & handles
    - Replaced chrome windshield trim
    - new front & rear side markers (only front work at this time)
    - rebadged entire vehicle
    - swapped bottlecaps for basket weaves (kept the bottlecaps in case i want to go back to being 'factory authentic')
    - swapped ECU for newer model (i forget what the model # is)
    - repaired glovebox latch

(LORD HELP ME i've spent some money on this vehicle ) Don't think the vehicle is worth more than what I've put into it at this point.

ANYWAY I made some more good progress this past weekend:
    - Installed new weather strips on front doors. HUGE DIFFERENCE! My left arm doesn't get sliced open when i rest it on the door when driving now.
    - Figured out the wiring issue with the shifter lightbulb and got it working
    - Swapped LED lightbar so the OBC lights up properly now
    - Replaced burned out HVAC bulbs
    - Installed a new head unit; nothing fancy but i *LOVE* the motorized QI charging tray for our phones. Tossed the USB cables and cigarette lighter chargers (see pic below)
    - Was *NOT* able to get the OBC button-light to work. I put a new 2721MF in there but it just doesnt work. I bought a 10 pack so I tried 2 or 3 just in case it was bad. No big deal.
    - Spent an inordinate amount of time researching the exact part #s for clips, screws, etc. that were missing when I took the console apart

On my "TO DO" list
    - clean/restore steering wheel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsymRQJHbIs)
    - while steering wheel is off do the odometer gear replacement (already have the kit) and instrument lightbulb swap out
    - do the nylon washer vent mod to tighten up all loose (and soon to loose!) vents (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XXAkWHDF_k)
    - replace dome/map light with LED bulb (bulb on the way)
    - replace all front and rear seatbelts and seatbelt receivers
    - figure out why rear side markers aren't lighting up
    - do side marker blinker mod
    - polish all exterior chrome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jznikGIHTeM)
    - ellipsoid headlight swap
    - remove and repaint side mirrors and fenders
    - polish and wax all paint
    - if i have any money leftover (ha) i'll buy that $129 big gulp cupholder

radio.jpg
    Last edited by nyvram; 11-10-2020 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    1988 325CI
    Got the driver window to open and close. Fixed some loose wires. Those are a killer!

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Chasing a high speed vibration issue.

Replaced tie rods, one boot was slightly torn and the ball joint was slightly binding (dry).

Ordered two left control arms by accident, so i have to wait for the right side to arrive. This time i went for Febis, as recommended by IE, new lolipops and bushings as well.

Replaced the front B8 Bilstein dampers (the threads were shot and so was the 6mm hex inside) along with new upper mounts.

If the control arms are not the issue, i do not know what else it could be, maybe the rack itself? it was resealed by the PO, but lets see.

Sprayed the entire under body with cable grease, one of the nicest winter preps i have experienced, it just eliminates salt from sticking to the chassis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nyvram View Post
    2020 Updates so far
    - New timing belt & water pump, complete fluids flush
    - Adjusted valves
    - Replaced fuel pump and lift pump
    - New fan clutch
    - Swapped black engine hoses for red
    - New window fluid sensor
    - Added Garagiastic engine brace
    - Replaced cracked fuse panel
    - Replaced all door locking mechanisms & handles
    - Replaced chrome windshield trim
    - new front & rear side markers (only front work at this time)
    - rebadged entire vehicle
    - swapped bottlecaps for basket weaves (kept the bottlecaps in case i want to go back to being 'factory authentic')
    - swapped ECU for newer model (i forget what the model # is)
    - repaired glovebox latch

(LORD HELP ME i've spent some money on this vehicle ) Don't think the vehicle is worth more than what I've put into it at this point.

ANYWAY I made some more good progress this past weekend:
    - Installed new weather strips on front doors. HUGE DIFFERENCE! My left arm doesn't get sliced open when i rest it on the door when driving now.
    - Figured out the wiring issue with the shifter lightbulb and got it working
    - Swapped LED lightbar so the OBC lights up properly now
    - Replaced burned out HVAC bulbs
    - Installed a new head unit; nothing fancy but i *LOVE* the motorized QI charging tray for our phones. Tossed the USB cables and cigarette lighter chargers (see pic below)
    - Was *NOT* able to get the OBC button-light to work. I put a new 2721MF in there but it just doesnt work. I bought a 10 pack so I tried 2 or 3 just in case it was bad. No big deal.
    - Spent an inordinate amount of time researching the exact part #s for clips, screws, etc. that were missing when I took the console apart

On my "TO DO" list
    - clean/restore steering wheel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsymRQJHbIs)
    - while steering wheel is off do the odometer gear replacement (already have the kit) and instrument lightbulb swap out
    - do the nylon washer vent mod to tighten up all loose (and soon to loose!) vents (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XXAkWHDF_k)
    - replace dome/map light with LED bulb (bulb on the way)
    - replace all front and rear seatbelts and seatbelt receivers
    - figure out why rear side markers aren't lighting up
    - do side marker blinker mod
    - polish all exterior chrome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jznikGIHTeM)
    - ellipsoid headlight swap
    - remove and repaint side mirrors and fenders
    - polish and wax all paint
    - if i have any money leftover (ha) i'll buy that $129 big gulp cupholder

radio.jpg
    Here in Germany, a well kept E30 325i will run in the €20.000-€25.000 ball park, it depends on the factory options and/or if any "updates" have been made (for example, adding OE rear head rests, map light etc) helps as well. The way i see it, i myself have invested well over €8.000 the last 2.5 years of ownership and i purchased the car for €12.000, so i am so far in the ball park figure of what the car is worth in its condition.

However, i purchased it not to resell it, it is because i am sick of modern cars and how unreliable they get after a certain age (too many expensive ass sensors, always sticking the OBD 2, reading the ECU etc). Now sure how the E30 market is doing for you in NA, but here they are really starting to climb and worth every penny IMO, despite the "old car" drawbacks.

I daily mine as well, rain, sleet, snow, sunshine, city and autobahn, i get my kicks from that, it is a car after all and it was designed to be driven.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by H.J. 1981 View Post
    Chasing a high speed vibration issue.

Replaced tie rods, one boot was slightly torn and the ball joint was slightly binding (dry).

Ordered two left control arms by accident, so i have to wait for the right side to arrive. This time i went for Febis, as recommended by IE, new lolipops and bushings as well.

Replaced the front B8 Bilstein dampers (the threads were shot and so was the 6mm hex inside) along with new upper mounts.

If the control arms are not the issue, i do not know what else it could be, maybe the rack itself? it was resealed by the PO, but lets see.

Sprayed the entire under body with cable grease, one of the nicest winter preps i have experienced, it just eliminates salt from sticking to the chassis.
    Our E30 has had a vibration since we've had it, almost 10 years. At 50 mph+ car had an overall vibration, not from the steering wheel, but the whole car had a thrum. At 65 is was disturbing really, but tire balance didn't do anything. Car was rarely driven above 45 anyway, so never really bothered with it.

I have since found that the driveshaft u-joints seem to have excessive play, and the CV joints in the rear axles have so much play that they are binding up. Car is still torn apart but I am feeling good that I have found the issue.

Here in Vermont oil or grease undercoating is pretty common. Great way to protect your car for winter driving.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Our E30 has had a vibration since we've had it, almost 10 years. At 50 mph+ car had an overall vibration, not from the steering wheel, but the whole car had a thrum. At 65 is was disturbing really, but tire balance didn't do anything. Car was rarely driven above 45 anyway, so never really bothered with it.

I have since found that the driveshaft u-joints seem to have excessive play, and the CV joints in the rear axles have so much play that they are binding up. Car is still torn apart but I am feeling good that I have found the issue.

Here in Vermont oil or grease undercoating is pretty common. Great way to protect your car for winter driving.
    For me, it is clearly the front end. The control arms seem to be the cause, despite testing them installed in the car revealed nothing, but once removed, both ball joints were binding and "loose". New ones ordered...

Those Bilsteins B8s are not only crashing and hard for a DD, especially on the roads i drive on, but also hard on the suspension. Control arms, tie rods and upper mounts failed after 20.000 kms (originals lasted 30 years and 205.000 kms). Since i am driving the car much more frequently on the highway now, due to my new job, i ordered B4s to soften it up instead. The A3 and A92 autobahn in Germany are just horrible to drive on on those B8s.

So new control arms (tie rods are new last week installed), new lolipops + bushings (standard) and B4s as well as new rear mounts going in this week.

My Cars
    I am thinking of putting bilsteins on my truck. I have never tried them on an e30. I only had konis for my performance suspension
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Painted some schizz.

FYI the ends of the trailing arms are filled with some oily goo. Must be from the factory?
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Replaced both control arms, rear bushings and lollipop mounts with febis.

Passenger side outer control arm tie rod was loose, despite while installed in the car it showed no play, and technically there is no play, just loose.

I do believe the bilstein B8s are too harsh for my E30 and the roads i drive on. I basically did a front end refresh within 1.5 years of daily driving (new tie rods, upper mounts and now new arms and rear mounts/bushings).

B4s are here, just waiting for M-Tech bump stops and get everything in and aligned end of the week hopefully.

My Cars
    1985 E30

Opened my cluster for replacing odometer gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Just finished installing new front control arms, LCA Bushings (standard centered), new B4s up front and rear (with M-Tech bump stop at the front) and new tie rods about 7 days ago.

Needs alignment but man, those B4s with the combination of H&R 29664-1 (the EU i believe they are the same as H&R OE for you guys in America) the car just dances into corners, even with tiny 185/65/14" tires the grip is silly and i am very happy with this setup (and so is the car) compared to the crashing and breaking B8s.

Still have a nasty vibration, car is going for alignment and wheel balancing Monday, but i believe the passenger side wheel bearing is shot, so both new ones are ordered along with new brake dust shield.

Rear dampers were missing the bump stop, so ordering that as well from the dealership.

My Cars
    1984 325es
    Checked the grounds through the ecu harness. They are good. Checked fuel pump relay through harness, no function. No power to ecu with ignition on. Maybe closer to diagnosis.

She looks beautiful. I want her to be my daily driver again.

My Cars
    did you swap a motor in that 84, cheapestcar?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    well, we finally sold the kids e30s. i thought we were going to keep the superE but it hurts my wrists to much to turn a wrench for more than an alternator anymore. the two door went to a guy in Houston. he wanted to drive down the day it showed up but wisely changed his mind and came down the next day since its a 4 hours drive and he was going to leave at 7-8pm. the superE went to a guy locally who has wanted an e30 for a while and plans to daily drive it once he changes the clutch. he is planning on doing the little repairs it needs to bring it back to a good daily driver with ac
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    NOOOOOOOOooooooooo........
    ^ true story

My Cars
    That's how I feel
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    And someone is test driving the mini cooper s right now, too. No bmws at all, just the xj Cherokee and the titan
    No e30s again.

Page 231 of 237 FirstFirst ... 131181206221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237 LastLast