Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning stage: OBDII M52 turbo build help

My Cars
    TURBO M52

Edit: waiting stage: OBDII M52 Turbo (bought a Stage2 kit)

08/02/08
    so i finally bit the bullet and bought a kit instead of doing a build.
    Last edited by LTCol; 08-04-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: next step
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    67' GTO & Turbo E36
    Save your self from the Tec 3, Covert to OBD 1..

Look around @ racersmarket.net They have a Great Turbo kit, And The best tuning...
    Last edited by JordanMD88; 07-14-2008 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanMD88 View Post

Look around @ Theracersmarket.net They have a Great Turbo kit, And The best tuning...

while i agree with jordan if you have fabrication skills, and you consider yourself a great diy'r you can have a far supperior kit for that money capable of well over 500whp. but thats just my opinion. If you want a hastle free install go with a kit like jordan mentioned.
    1005whp/831wtq little bit of low boost pump gas magic...

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdmas View Post
    while i agree with jordan if you have fabrication skills, and you consider yourself a great diy'r you can have a far supperior kit for that money capable of well over 500whp. but thats just my opinion. If you want a hastle free install go with a kit like jordan mentioned.
    i've been looking into converting to OBDI as well but already tried to use the search function but not a lot of documentation or reading materials (for E36 specific) regarding the conversion. if anyone can add a link, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of the search button, but sometimes it's either down or not giving the results i was hoping for, maybe wrong keywords or something.

anyway, here are some of the major components i'm looking at for a stage1... please chime in if i'm missing something.
    turbo - undecided still, but eventually GT35R with Stage2
    manifold - spa or threadstone
    wastegate - tial
    fmic - used or ebay, anybody selling?
    plumbing - custom but not sure where to look yet, anybody?
    exhaust - custom

thanks in advance, back to reading about FI builds...
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    An old lady drove a stick??

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Get the turbo your gunna want down the road NOW. Im glad i did. I originally only planned 7-10psi. Im currently at 22psi on my stock block m52 with head gasket and studs.
    1005whp/831wtq little bit of low boost pump gas magic...

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by milKT View Post
    An old lady drove a stick??
    yep, a 'big' old lady to be exact!

Quote Originally Posted by jfdmas View Post
    Get the turbo your gunna want down the road NOW. Im glad i did. I originally only planned 7-10psi. Im currently at 22psi on my stock block m52 with head gasket and studs.
    that's what i was thinking... but the GT35R might be more than what i need though. hah!
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    E36 M52 hybrid GT40
    John Volk @ 666fabrication makes a nice intercooler piping kit. Thats what im going with. Also going with one of his exhaust manifolds too.

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by mattym3 View Post
    John Volk @ 666fabrication makes a nice intercooler piping kit. Thats what im going with. Also going with one of his exhaust manifolds too.
    thanks for looking out, but the pricing is on their products are out of my budget. i would love to have a top mount but cannot afford that yet
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    67' GTO & Turbo E36
    Quote Originally Posted by LTCol View Post
    yep, a 'big' old lady to be exact!

that's what i was thinking... but the GT35R might be more than what i need though. hah!
    Nah You'll want more power. A GT35r or a Sc61 Or a SPA 7000M (TRM stage 2)

All of thoes are great quick spooling turbos that will support 600 ish ...

As For converting to OBD I

Get a OBD I harness
    Get OBD I Crank, Cam, And knock sensors and O2 sensor..
    Plug up a 413 DME

and you are good to go..

My Cars
    bmw 328ic
    The guys at @ Theracersmarket.net are working on OBD2 Tuning Software.
    It will be available in a month or so.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Quote Originally Posted by rswtal View Post
    Michael better be staying up late crunching numbers
    and breaking code.
    Have you seen the movie Pi ??

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by rswtal View Post
    when i inquired with TRM back in april Thomas replied: 'We hope to have an OBDII solution by the end of the year and at earliest this summer.'

if this will make it out soon, im all over TRM!
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    ok, here goes... putting my flame suit on. i've been very reluctant to post here from reading the other threads that have gone custom turbo builds... i guess no other way to find out but to post.

i've been reading a lot of materials on boosting the E36... seems that TT kit or going custom with a TEC3R is the only way to go for me and my m52. so i'm choosing custom, or just don't do boost at all.

my power goal (for now) is 300-340whp, will stock internals handle this? I'm thinking that my tax return for next year will just be in time to upgrade to a stage 2, and do some major internal upgrades like cams, injectors, pump (if needed)

to give a little background on the car, its a 96 328is with 95k miles and completely stock, previous owner was an old lady that sent the car to the dealer for every maintenance, i have record that thermostat and housing was replaced, but i still see a plastic housing (that will be going soon.)

anyway, just want to get the ball rolling on my build... I have extra money right now, if i had around 5k, can 3k cover for hardware? was thinking 2k for used Tec3R. all work will be done by myself and some help with mechanic uncle.

going to church, be back in a couple of hours...

again, trying for the basic hardware for now running on all stock internals, maybe 6-8 psi max.

thanks!
    You've been reading alot about boosting the E36 but you had to ask if it will handle 300-340hp?

Whats wrong with a TT kit? It has everything you need including OBDII tuning and makes good power. Also, the TRM Stage I kit has everything except OBDII tuning and injectors. It will take some good planning and know how to match (let alone exceed) the quality of design of these kits.

A Tec3? Really? Itll be more of a pain than its worth. OBDI offers equal or better tuning capabilites and seamless operation.

Make sure your local emissions laws allow you to delete OBDII. My county requires it to be in 96+ vehicles so non-stock ECUs are not an option. If this is the case you can either buy the TT kit or try to find an OBDII tuner, which is rather difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanMD88 View Post

Look around @ Theracersmarket.net They have a Great Turbo kit, And The best tuning...
    www.racersmarket.net

Theracersmarket.net does not exist.

i've been looking into converting to OBDI as well but already tried to use the search function but not a lot of documentation or reading materials (for E36 specific) regarding the conversion. if anyone can add a link, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of the search button, but sometimes it's either down or not giving the results i was hoping for, maybe wrong keywords or something.

anyway, here are some of the major components i'm looking at for a stage1... please chime in if i'm missing something.
    turbo - undecided still, but eventually GT35R with Stage2
    manifold - spa or threadstone
    wastegate - tial
    fmic - used or ebay, anybody selling?
    plumbing - custom but not sure where to look yet, anybody?
    exhaust - custom

thanks in advance, back to reading about FI builds...
    You need bigger injectors. Many buy a TRM motor mount to help pipe routing too.

GT35R is EXPENSIVE. The Stage II turbo from TRM is much more cost effective, but if you're going big budget the 35R is a nice turbo.

Dont plan on boosting past 10 or 12 psi on stock compression. Youll need a thicker HG and new studs or some new pistons.

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by n24tg View Post
    You've been reading alot about boosting the E36 but you had to ask if it will handle 300-340hp?

Yep, I’ve been reading, and only reason I ask if stock internals can handle 300-340 is because I would want to daily drive the car and not have anything break since I don’t think I can upgrade the internals until tax season.

Whats wrong with a TT kit? It has everything you need including OBDII tuning and makes good power. Also, the TRM Stage I kit has everything except OBDII tuning and injectors. It will take some good planning and know how to match (let alone exceed) the quality of design of these kits.
    nothing wrong with the TT kit, I’ll be on it if my disposable funds are enough, believe me! I would love to have a complete ‘branded’ kit if I can afford it.

A Tec3? Really? Itll be more of a pain than its worth. OBDI offers equal or better tuning capabilites and seamless operation.
    but TEC3 is plug and play right? That’s what I’ve been reading… unless I’m reading it wrong.

Make sure your local emissions laws allow you to delete OBDII. My county requires it to be in 96+ vehicles so non-stock ECUs are not an option. If this is the case you can either buy the TT kit or try to find an OBDII tuner, which is rather difficult.
    I don’t think it’s allowed at all, so that will be my second to the last option.

Dont plan on boosting past 10 or 12 psi on stock compression. Youll need a thicker HG and new studs or some new pistons.

I’ll get that for stageII

Thanks for looking out.
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    You keep talking about saving money but want to buy expensive parts. The TEC3 PNP is $3000. Thats half the cost of an entire kit, tuning included.

As far needing OBDII, there are many on the boards who find ways around it. IIRC some places dont do emissions tests at all.

EDIT: Im not trying to be condescending. It may come off that way.

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    You keep talking about saving money but want to buy expensive parts. The TEC3 PNP is $3000. Thats half the cost of an entire kit, tuning included.

As far needing OBDII, there are many on the boards who find ways around it. IIRC some places dont do emissions tests at all.

EDIT: Im not trying to be condescending. It may come off that way.

Not at all, but I never said I’m trying to save money, I just said I don’t have enough for a TT kit. That’s why I’m asking if 2k is enough for a used TEC3R and then around 3k for the components. I have a number that I want to stay under, and it’s not enough to buy a TT kit… maybe in 1-2 months it may cover a TRM kit if they have a tune for OBDII.

no worries on the replies, condescending, criticizing, negative, I want to hear them all. I’d rather listen and learn than get a ‘I told you so…’ from a lot of you.

Thanks again!
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Find out SPECIFICALLY what inspection tests are performed in your area. Is it a sniffer test or do they forgoe the sniffer and instead scan for OBDII codes?

If the former, you could convert to OBDI or go standalone and have lots of options. If the latter, your options are far more limited (Technique Tuning, AA).

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    they plug right into the port... hmmm i'll read more about this conversion.

thanks!
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    2005 M3
    I know you are still contemplating the OBD I vs OBD II thing, but you can get the core turbo parts for a DIY kit for around $3k. I came very close to that number for my turbo build (still in progress). You just have to decide where you want to "cut costs" on the components, while not going too cheap to retain some reliability. For example, you can get an effective eBay intercooler for ~$150 or spend $500 (or more) on one. And there are several other parts that you can "save" money on as well. However, if you decide to go the DIY route, I would stay away from the cheap eBay turbos (i.e. the $200 ones that are common) and the cheap eBay manifolds. My DIY build has been all about choosing where to save money and where to spend it to help keep the budget under control, but still use good parts.
    James
    2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Stage I Supercharged Street/Track Car
    E46 M3 VF Engineering Stage I Supercharger DIY

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
    I know you are still contemplating the OBD I vs OBD II thing, but you can get the core turbo parts for a DIY kit for around $3k. I came very close to that number for my turbo build (still in progress). You just have to decide where you want to "cut costs" on the components, while not going too cheap to retain some reliability. For example, you can get an effective eBay intercooler for ~$150 or spend $500 (or more) on one. And there are several other parts that you can "save" money on as well. However, if you decide to go the DIY route, I would stay away from the cheap eBay turbos (i.e. the $200 ones that are common) and the cheap eBay manifolds. My DIY build has been all about choosing where to save money and where to spend it to help keep the budget under control, but still use good parts.
    I’m with you there… I’m not doing the ebay manifold or ebay turbo, I’ll use spa or threadstone for manifold at the least and I’m budgeting 700-1k on a good turbo for my goal. Also looking at Tial wastegate. On the other hand, I will be doing ebay intercooler or a used ‘branded’ one if around the same price range. I’ve also read good feedback on some of ebay ic piping as well. How did you go about flanges, dp, or dump tube? I’m looking for good place to get the miscellaneous stuff like clamps, lines, fittings, gaskets, etc… do you know of a ‘one-stop’ place to go (besides ebay)?

Thanks man!

Do you mind shooting me a pm of your sources for you components? I’ve been going through the other DIY builds here and their lists helps me a ton!
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    2011 1M
    I’m with you there… I’m not doing the ebay manifold or ebay turbo, I’ll use spa or threadstone for manifold at the least and I’m budgeting 700-1k on a good turbo for my goal. Also looking at Tial wastegate. On the other hand, I will be doing ebay intercooler or a used ‘branded’ one if around the same price range. I’ve also read good feedback on some of ebay ic piping as well. How did you go about flanges, dp, or dump tube? I’m looking for good place to get the miscellaneous stuff like clamps, lines, fittings, gaskets, etc… do you know of a ‘one-stop’ place to go (besides ebay)?

Thanks man!

Do you mind shooting me a pm of your sources for you components? I’ve been going through the other DIY builds here and their lists helps me a ton!
    I fear you may be getting ahead of yourself if you want to stay street legal and will be required to stay OBDII compliant for inspections.

What do you contemplate for engine management?

I'm only aware of 2-3 people (currently) in the entire country that do custom OBDII tuning.

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    02 IR
    What ebay Intercooler kit are you guys going with? Is there one that fits in the front of the E36 pretty well?
    Ed Hardy: Its like wearing a riced out civic.

2002 Imola Red M3
    2003 Evolution

My Cars
    TURBO M52
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I fear you may be getting ahead of yourself if you want to stay street legal and will be required to stay OBDII compliant for inspections.

What do you contemplate for engine management?

I'm only aware of 2-3 people (currently) in the entire country that do custom OBDII tuning.

Neil
    right now TEC3R is the only option if i can find a used one within the budget. I'm trying to avoid OBDI conversion if i can. if it's not doable, i guess i have to wait until i get more funds for the TT kit, if Sharkedit comes to reality, or if someone comes up with another option for OBDII tuning. I also read about emanage but has not been stable.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    What ebay Intercooler kit are you guys going with? Is there one that fits in the front of the E36 pretty well?
    someone has used 24x12x3 and fits snug with a custom bracket from homedepot. <--read this from a members DIY build.
    97 Euro M3 S50B32

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    right now TEC3R is the only option if i can find a used one within the budget. I'm trying to avoid OBDI conversion if i can. if it's not doable, i guess i have to wait until i get more funds for the TT kit, if Sharkedit comes to reality, or if someone comes up with another option for OBDII tuning. I also read about emanage but has not been stable.
    You realize that TEC3 is not OBDII compatible, right? Are you planning on tuning the motor yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast