Thread: Is it Possible to put a tire on a rim w/o scratching it?

My Cars
    '02 530

Is it Possible to put a tire on a rim w/o scratching it?

I have 4 new rims and tires and the last time I went to discount tire to put them on, they scratched them up real bad. I know that they should have they best/latest equipment, but do I have to watch them to make sure they put them on w/care.

My Cars
    02 530i
    yes to both questions. I used to work at discount. and honestly we work so fast in the back we dont take the time needed to really take care of wheels. just go up to the guy mounting them and give him a 20 and he wont scratch them. just explain how u want him to be very careful! there is a way to set the machine so it doesnt touch the wheel (unless its reverse mount, then they will have to use guards to protect the lip!!!)

My Cars
    528i
    yes theres a ways just get on the mangers butt and he will make sure they come out great. Theres a local audio shop by my house that have a machine thats amazing it doesnt took the rim at all.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    I have an older machine at the dealer...and I never scratch wheels?
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    None.... YET!
    It doesn't matter that they have the latest and greatest, it's all in the operator.

Slip him a bit of cash and he'll be more careful.

BMW Fanatic, and soon to be Owner.
    -Kain.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Slip him more cash to do his job properly? This mentality kills me. Nobody gives a shit about the work they do anymore unless they are paid above and beyond the norm.

I'd like you to balance my tires.
    Would you like them scratched?
    NO. WTF kind of question is that?
    Give me $20 extra then.
    F off.

My Cars
    X5, M5, couple e30's
    One shop scratched one of my rims so they bought me a new one, so now I have a spare with a scratch. I'm not going to pay $20 extra just so that the job gets done right the first time.

Scratch my rim = Buy me a new one!

My Cars
    99 BMW 528iT
    at discount near me they have a big sign that says that they cant take responsibility for scratched rims when mounting low profile tires.... really make me wanna get my tires mounted there!

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    Slip him more cash to do his job properly? This mentality kills me. Nobody gives a shit about the work they do anymore unless they are paid above and beyond the norm.

Give me $20 extra then.
    F off.
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    Bmw 540i/6; 530i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire View Post
    slip him more cash to do his job properly? This mentality kills me. Nobody gives a shit about the work they do anymore unless they are paid above and beyond the norm.

No. Wtf kind of question is that?
    Give me $20 extra then.
    F off.
    lmao...

FS:NEW_BF_Goodrich_245/35/17

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    We use an older Hunter machine and the only time metal touches the rim is when the tire iron comes off the plastic foot, it doesn't leave any kind of mark. With some M rims upwards of $500 if we were to scratch a rim there would be hell to pay. If you want to slip me a $20 that's O.K., my parents taught me at an early age not to turn down free food or free money. The next wheel I scratch will be the first wheel I scratch. I've mounted and balanced thousands of wheels.

My Cars
    02 M5

Give me $20 extra then.
    F off.
    +1000000

You know the guy mounting the tires see's that you have nice wheels, so he should take extra care not to F them up in the first place. You would think he would like to mount some sweet wheels and tires compared to the normal crappy non-cared for stuff he sees all day.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    We use an older Hunter machine and the only time metal touches the rim is when the tire iron comes off the plastic foot, it doesn't leave any kind of mark. With some M rims upwards of $500 if we were to scratch a rim there would be hell to pay. If you want to slip me a $20 that's O.K., my parents taught me at an early age not to turn down free food or free money. The next wheel I scratch will be the first wheel I scratch. I've mounted and balanced thousands of wheels.
    I'm with you. I totally agree with your attitude on the subject. For me, I have no problem tipping for a job well done. My problem is giving someone a $20 before they do the job as an incentive to not F up your stuff.

My Cars
    potato
    like others have said - NO freaking excuse for a good shop to scratch up a rim when installing tires. Any shop worth their salt will pay to either replace or refurb your wheel if they scratch it when mounting rims.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    I'm with you. I totally agree with your attitude on the subject. For me, I have no problem tipping for a job well done. My problem is giving someone a $20 before they do the job as an incentive to not F up your stuff.
    right on
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\