Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Decay.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    what is wired??

one more. a buddy of mine. his cousin had balls of steel.

just making sure you noticed. he's sitting on the top of the ladder.....taking pictures down. he said its scarier to see where he was at from the street below. fuck that. shit made me nervous, i couldnt watch. haha.

-Dane

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Man that train station shot is amazing!

My Cars
    it's no E30 :/
    keep looking at your pics, and still can't believe a place like this exists in the US
    R.I.P. Louie: TehPandaShow gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    It is crazy how the mass migration form Detroit has left it and it just sits. Prime real estate in a big city that is not so prime anymore!

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 Ex/SiR View Post
    what is wired??
    Wired.com (aka Wired Magazine)

http://www.wired.com/culture/art/new...issions_cities

You should also visit Barnes & Noble, browse the magazine aisle for high end fine art photography magazines and make some submissions.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    ill look it up, thanks!

-Dane

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    The Packard plant is amazing! I assume Packard cars? That has to be in a decayed state for decades...

My Cars
    See Signature

HIgh Praise

You have some exceptional talent, and I admire your work very much.

I'm convinced that your work is exhibition quality, and I encourage you to at least try to sell a major newspaper on doing a photo feature with some of your images. Major metro sunday papers have lifestyle sections, and you should try to place something there.

Another idea you should strongly consider -- write a pitch letter to national geographic and sell them a story idea on Detroit. If you include about 10 photos in your envelope, and lay out a story idea, you have a good shot.

Another possibility is to sell a photo feature to shutterbug.

Finally, Car and Driver might even have interest.

I can help you with a pitch letter if you don't know how to do that.

Your work is very good, and you have important story to tell with these images.
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    Jetta
    I love the subject matter. And not to diminish the photos at all, but some of them do look highly tweaked in PS. Care to share what you are doing during post processing?
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post
    I'm convinced that your work is exhibition quality, and I encourage you to at least try to sell a major newspaper on doing a photo feature with some of your images. Major metro sunday papers have lifestyle sections, and you should try to place something there.
    I can't agree with that. Having been in a closely related industry for 13 years, you want to be very careful how you launch your career and the venue you use to show your work. You want to make the right start in the business. The wrong start can do great damage and seal your fate. Newsprint is very low quality and do not do justice to this kind of photography. Editorial photography is worlds apart from fine art photography.

Another idea you should strongly consider -- write a pitch letter to national geographic and sell them a story idea on Detroit. If you include about 10 photos in your envelope, and lay out a story idea, you have a good shot.
    National geographic has produced some really nice work, but it's not the same type of photography. Their visual style has little post processing. If there is any post processing, it's done in a way that the viewer would not notice it until they carefully compare with the original. And the viewing public almost never get to see the original. For the most part the subjects are treated to be as natural as they are. The work shown here is excellent, but not suitable for National Geographic. Wrong audience. Mismatched visual style.

To the OP, visit some galleries with your work (have high quality prints made and get yourself a nice portfolio case). Knock on doors, sort of speak, and see which ones open. Get some showings and exposure. Once your name and work is out there, you will be contacted by reps... from there the possibilities are endless. Getting published in high end photography magazines will help. Stay away from the standard newsstand/coffee table rags.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    981 CaymanS; 4Runner Ltd
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    I love the subject matter. And not to diminish the photos at all, but some of them do look highly tweaked in PS. Care to share what you are doing during post processing?
    Aside from HDR?

My Cars
    325is, 325ix, 318i
    Theres something strange about detroit. All the locals can attest to this, it holds a special place in your hart, but its not really a place you enjoy being at every day, and yet you almost look forward to returning.
    Your photography skills are amazing, I hope your pursuing it farther then just a hobby.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Amazing. Wish I could come up tomorrow.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    well, i went to the packard plant today. we had a few beers. some cheap cigars. had a good time, snapped a few photos. i actually started to HDR some of these, but changed my mind. wasnt feelin it today. pictures are less than mediocre. im actually not very pleased with them. but i figure, since ive already uploaded them. i might as well share a few more.

i am really digging the de-saturated, cold tone look. i dont know why. i just think it looks cool.

anyone need some new clothes?

meh. thanks for looking. im selling my tamron 28-75 F/2.8. im gonna pick up either a canon 24-70, or 28-70 F/2.8L. i want something extremely sharp, with great color. no chance i can go wrong with either of those.

-Dane

My Cars
    1984 528e
    i am really digging the de-saturated, cold tone look. i dont know why. i just think it looks cool.
    I think it looks good because it fits the scene more. Some run down, beat up building fits more with stale colors and tones than it does with warm red brick contrasting with bright blue skies.

Thats just me though.

Some good shots in there.

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    I don't know how I've missed this thread. I took a quick look through and there are some awesome shots. I'm going to bookmark this for when I'm home later.

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    This may be a "bad" question, but what F stop do you find yourself mostly shooting out with the Tammy 28-75/2.8 - I have the same lens, and I'd love some advice on it's "happy spot".

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    i wanna say that i use it mostly around F/9. i guess it really depends on what im shooting. good question. at 9 though, its really sharp. i know you get it at 2.8, obviously. but sometimes you dont want the DOF.

thanks doods. i think i have a few more i could throw together. haha.

-Dane

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    i wanna say that i use it mostly around F/9. i guess it really depends on what im shooting. good question. at 9 though, its really sharp. i know you get it at 2.8, obviously. but sometimes you dont want the DOF.

thanks doods. i think i have a few more i could throw together. haha.
    thanks for the advice. I love it at 2.8, but had difficult finding a good intermideiate range.

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    got a couple more.

-Dane

My Cars
    07 Commander
    wow it is just depressing as hell isn't it? GREAT shots. I actually was up in the David Whitney building a few months ago and it was depressing as well. 19 story building right in the heart of Detroit just sitting empty. I took some shots, but don't know where they are any longer...

Keep up the great work and be safe out there...

My Flickr (I'm No Pro)
    I am sans-Bimmer right now, and it saddens me

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    were you in the whitney, or the broderick tower? the broderick is right on woodward also. right by comerica park.

check out this pyramid someone made out of wooden bricks from the floor.. effing crazy.

this should give you a good idea of its size..

the bricks werent glued together or anything. just placed neatly together. it was amazing.

one from the roof.

some windows.

didnt snap many shots today. oh well. fisher body plant.

-Dane

My Cars
    American
    I'm really inspired by you're work. This just gave me an idea to hunt down some abandon buildings. Thanks for the history lesson on the city. And great pictures by the way.

My Cars
    Too many
    People like you inspire...

My Cars
    Cosmos M3
    You seriously deserve to be making money off these, dude. They're amazing. That pyramid is incredible.

I want to buy your Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8 AF-D (Two-Ring) lens! Let me know.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8#post20192178

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast