Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Decay.

My Cars
    89 325is, 89 BMW 525i, 0
    I've always wanted to go to Detroit to photograph so of those places. I don't know how you did it... Not get killed that is. From what I've been told, if you go outside with a watch in Detroit you get shot. I can't imagine if you had a camera what happens. Awesome shots though, really great stuff.

I'll hit up Detroit after I legally own a few guns...

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Detroit really is a dump.

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    E30 M3
    Very sad pictures, but absolutely fantastic. OP any pix showing the 'Detriot/Grosse Pointe line?' I think some of the out of towners would find that interesting.
    Those Who Stay Will Be Champions

My Cars
    280z, Cherokee Trailhawk
    wow. Those are heart-wrenching.

Beautiful work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller
    Caleigh is subject to no man.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by lachssilberbim View Post
    We should def get together sometime, and maybe teach me a thing or 2 =D
    where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by GreekDriver View Post
    I've always wanted to go to Detroit to photograph so of those places. I don't know how you did it... Not get killed that is. From what I've been told, if you go outside with a watch in Detroit you get shot. I can't imagine if you had a camera what happens. Awesome shots though, really great stuff.

I'll hit up Detroit after I legally own a few guns...
    hahahaha. its so overhyped, it makes me LOL. sure, there are certainly bad dudes in D town. but for the most part, people are really friendly. even the homeless dudes trying to get a few bucks off you. i went with a buddy on monday. we saw some homeless dude, dragging some shit out of one of the buildings. he asked what time it was. we both had our gear strapped to our backs, plus our tripods. so my buddy pulled his iphone out of his pocket to tell him the time. the guy said thanks, and said have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    Detroit really is a dump.
    it is, and it isnt.
    here is campus martius around christmas time. heavily policed. there is an ice skating rink right in the middle here. lots of events here. parades, etc. it gets really busy sometimes.

now back to the cool shit. haha.
    packard

this one is kinda out of focus. but it gives you a good idea of whats around there...

there is a liquor store at the corner. with a subway. both under bulletproof glass. haha, i love rolling in there to get a couple 40's. we get some interesting looks sometimes. hahahaha.

boblo terminal

other side of the river is canada.

i am deathly afraid of heights. but no bullshit. i pound some old E, and my fear dissapears. i have to get drunk to go to the top....every time.

this is a shot of the book depository. it was storage for all the detroit public schools. like books, and paperwork, and all sorts of school shit. its empty. theres a dude that lives in there. he uses the books to make fires and keep warm in the winter. we've seen him in the corner on the 2nd floor. he never says anything though.

photo taken from the train station, next door.

lots of cool art too.

-Dane

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    packard plant. like i said, its 3.5 MILLION square feet. theres alot to see.

some old grade school.

we went inside, ofcourse. it was kinda creepy. my shots turned out shoddy.

globe trading building.

its VERY hard to see. but on the furthest left part of the photo, is a black dude, without a shirt on, reading the news paper. i should find the original and lighten it up a bit. he's deff there though.

rodeo's work is the shizz. its so weird, i dig it.

its funny, as i post pictures, they get older and older. you can see these last few are from my first couple times out. still with a kit lens. no tripod. etc.

-Dane

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBLue View Post
    Very sad pictures, but absolutely fantastic. OP any pix showing the 'Detriot/Grosse Pointe line?' I think some of the out of towners would find that interesting.
    alter road?? im in grosse point park frequently in the winter. i go to O'flaherty's irish pub often. its right on charlevoix. i have cousins that live in the park.

-Dane

My Cars
    95 m3
    Outstanding work! Thanks for sharing not only your images, but a bit of text regarding your experience.

My Cars
    E36 328iS
    Wow... these are amazing! Awesome shots. Great job.
    "God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy." - Billy Currington

My Cars
    '00 328i & '94 325i
    Spectacularly nice shots! Keep 'em coming ...

My Cars
    2004 1.8t Jetta
    I can't being to imagine how thriving that area must have been to then turn to just an abandoned mess. Great pictures man!
    -Chris

My Cars
    '86 325e, '89 sentra
    i started saving the ones i liked and realized it's pretty much every one
    excellent work
    sounds like a lot of fun

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Your pictures are unbelievable. The zoo pictures are by far my favorites.

My Cars
    981 CaymanS; 4Runner Ltd
    These are some incredible shots - I'm jealous man.

Very very very well done.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    thanks guys.

if you've got a few minutes, and are interested. i know a guy that did a few documentaries. this one was the old higland park police station. i went there once. dont know whom was chasing us through the building, but ill never go back.
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKoMiiffvKA[/ame]
    really gives you a different feeling.

-Dane

My Cars
    Wrangler, Jetta TDI
    Incredible shots man. I really like just about all of them. There's an abandoned tuberculosis sanitarium in so. MD that I want to go to, it's called Glenn Dale hospital.

I'd have to drive pretty far to find some abandoned stuff like that though...

My Cars
    1984 528e
    Beautiful shots man. I've been through that entire train station, its nice to see another photographers point of view while going through there. I need to go back again. I loved every second of that place. In the last train station picture on the first page, I can even seen the mickey mouse stuffed animal hanging from its neck from the ceiling in the upper right corner...haha

I agree with you though, detroits danger is overhyped. People that aren't from the area think that if you even step foot in detroit, you're shot at least once. There are definitely nice areas.

I've only been to the train station unfortunately, my ex showed me that when we were together and we went and photographed it. Now I can't really find anyone else to go with me to photograph other abandoned buildings there. You should PM me and let me know the locations of these places, if you don't mind.

Thanks for making this thread, I really enjoyed it. Lots of beautiful shots, and you really captured the entire outside of the train station very well in the one picture on the first page. I absolutely love pictures of such 'beautifully' destroyed buildings. It's just amazing to go through those abandoned places and see everything..

Oh, and edit: subscribed.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    thanks. where are you located, Xenobiotic? are you on flickr by chance??
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/590647@N20/
    join my group if you are. we used to meet up every sunday to go shooting. we've been talking about getting another photo day together, but we've been kinda busy all summer. we'll have to scedule something soon.

i had seen pictures of the train station before hand. but its a completely different feeling once you're inside. with all these buildings actually. i find it extremely relaxing. its like you're invisible to the rest of the world. you can watch people go on with their daily lives, yet they have no idea you're there. no idea you are watching them. these abandonments have been here for so long, people dont really even notice them at this point. sad, but beautiful in the same sense.

-Dane

My Cars
    1984 528e
    I'm in sterling heights. I made a flickr at one point, but didn't use it much and haven't in a while.

It's a shame because I haven't been able to do much with photography for 2-3 months, but I love photography so much...the shitty thing is right now I only have a basic 18-55mm lens for my D80.

But yeah, I definitely agree, its eerie, sad, and beautiful at the same time to be in such places. I'll add you on flickr though I don't go on the site much and haven't uploaded much in quite a while.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    dude, im over just north of rochester. like 25 mins from the heights. ever hear of xceedspeed.com? check it out. we have a small meet every wednesday at the applebees in auburn hills, right across from OU (squirrel and university). everyone starts showing up around 7. at 9, people go inside and get the half off appetizers and shit. people hang till 11 some nights. its fun. lots of cameras and cars in the parkinglot before hand though.

why not? hehe.

sorry folks. only the locals are gonna appreciate this one. haha.

plastic pellets. im sure they were used to melt down into molds.

you can see the GM HQ in the background.

for teh winn??

someone jacked the top of the high-lo. looks like they cut it with a plasma cutter.
    notice, theres a piano behind it on the left side.

its kind of a bitch getting to this side. hahaha.

stolen and stripped. sitting in a field in the D.

-Dane

My Cars
    '04 4Runner

-Dane

My Cars
    89 325izzy + 95 318aight
    are these HDR or just using tone curves or....? Dont get me wronge the composition is amazing but they just look digital IMO unless its my screen.

again awsome pictures.

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    its the HDR doing that. its because the gamma is up higher in those images. i know exactly what you're talking about. haha.

-Dane

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    The pictures are absolutely stunning. The composition is one thing, but you've mastered the HDR settings. I don't think you'll find to many HDR haters in this thread. You can tell they're HDR, but the only reason you can tell is because they have so much more depth than a normal pic, i almost feel like i can reach into the picture through my monitor. So 3d like.

Bravo!
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    1984 528e
    Haven't heard of the site, but I'll check it out. I'm in Rochester fairly often to visit my sister and a friend, so I know where you're talking about, just can't picture an applebees there. Maybe I'll come along sometime?

By the way, I like the liar picture...

I usually hate HDR's because, like you said, they are usually really really overdone and ugly, but you just capture so much detail in everything, they're very very well done.

I need to buy another lens sometime soon...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast