Thread: Light switch 1998 328i bulb replacemnt

My Cars
    1994 325i, 1997328ic

Light switch 1998 328i bulb replacemnt

Hi,

How do I replace the bulb or diode for the lightswitch. I see a screw under the dash beneath the switch. Any help would be appreciated

Bob

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    Electrical I can help you out, but you need to be more specific. The area you are talking about sounds like you may be referring to the potentiometer for the dash lights. This is a vertically rotating dial that can be adjusted to dim or brighten the dash lights at night. Is this what you are referring to? I'm running out to my car now to look for what you may be talking about.

Need more information.

My Cars
    1994 325i, 1997328ic
    It's the headlight switch. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

My Cars
    E36 323i SE
    my headlight switch doesnt light up either.... maybe it should.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    I think I see what you are talking about now. The light behind the headlight switch? Yes, remove the screw underneath the dash. Also remove the knob off of the main headlight switch. There will be a plastic nut and some screws behind that. Remove those and the whole assembly, including the vent, will come out. Lemme find some pictures from the Bentley Manual as the last steps are hard for me to recall from memory and put into words...

Yeah, it should light up. However, that bulb is always lit so it burns out pretty quickly. Kind of annoying. I replaced mine probably 8 months ago and its already burnt out again.

My Cars
    1994 325i, 1997328ic
    Thanks.

323 mike. The switch should light up. I also have a 1994 325i and my mechanic replaced the bulb on that car when it was in for something else.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    OK scratch the screws part. There's just a plastic nut. Remove that and the whole assembly will come out. I remember that you need to disconnect the switch from the trim piece by twisting some things opposite directions in order to access a white cylinder. The bulb is located on the end of this white cylinder. Be careful with it, as it break easily and I had to replace mine. The cylinder itself will just slide right out of a compartment on the side of the headlight switch. The bulb will pull straight out of the cylinder.

Install in reverse.

My Cars
    1994 325i, 1997328ic
    Ok...Thanks. Start with the screw under the dash, does the knob pop out or twist out ? Screws and the plactic nut. Doesn't sound too bad. Did you say you have pics ?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    The knob pulls straight out. Use a can-opener rubber grip to grab the thing if you need.

I thought I did from the Bentley manual. I guess I just figured it out on my own.

Sorry about the late reply my desktop computer hasn't been booting up so I've been running off of my laptop, doesn't have the manual on it. Grr...