Thread: 2002 e39 cooling system overhaul parts list

My Cars
    '02 525

2002 e39 cooling system overhaul parts list

I have a small leak from where the metal and the plastic were pressed together on the drivers side of the radiator. I resisted the temptation to JB Weld the leak and since I am at 73K I figured I should replace everything all at once.

What I need though is look over of my parts list. Most of the threads I see say "water pump, fan clutch, etc.". I need to verify what the "etc." is.

What I think I should get would be the following:
    Radiator
    Fan clutch
    Fan blade
    Water pump
    Thermostat
    Upper and lower radiator hoses
    Reservoir

Optional:
    Belts
    Tensioners
    Vent Screws
    Reservoir Cap

The belts were recently replaced already so I think I am safe with them. I also pulled the reservoir tonight and it looks almost new, no cracks or any stress lines. The cap looks new as well. The 2002 has those easy off clips for the hoses and came off and on very quickly. I pulled the top radiator hose and it looks almost new too.

I checked the fan clutch and it functions correctly (stops when you touch it) and I don't see any wobble nor hear any noise from that area. The front electric fan seems to run fine as well.

If BMW replaced the water pump already, would they have installed new fan blades? They look old but seem to function just fine.

Is there some online way to look at the service record for a vehicle? The one service guy I talked to said flat out "No" when I asked for a copy of this vehicles records.

I have access to a son-in-law who is a mechanic and has a shop so tools and lifts are thankfully accessible, however, I need to have the parts in hand before we start.

If anyone has any suggestions as to additional things to check while it's all disassembled, please let me know.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Not to be an ass but some of the questions you already answered and ALL of it has been answered numerous times. Did you bother browsing the forum? There is a list of parts already in the DI's and a guy just mae a thread with a list from his mechanic. there is no other way one can answer these questions.

Tomato

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    '02 525
    well, since the search function hasn't been working for a few days (just get the blue dog staring at me) and browsing 5 pages worth of posts in the e39 forum didn't give me what I was looking for, so I thought I would ask.

I asked 3 questions.
    1. Any parts specific to a 2002 e39 that I am missing on my list?
    2. If BMW replaced a fan clutch would they have replaced the fan blade at the same time?
    3. is there an online location to find service records?

What is so hard about answering those questions?

As for your comments about the parts listing post, he has a 2003 530i, so that doesn't help my specific question. There is also nothing in the DI section about a cooling system overhaul for my vehicle.

Most of the posts referenced things like "Yeah, do an overhaul" or "Replace the water pump, radiator, fan clutch, etc." It's the "etc." part I was asking about. That's why I listed what I was able to find from the writeups and forum posts I had already browsed.

I have read several write ups on it but they are for different models and years, none for a 2002 525i.
    Last edited by jasonstx; 07-02-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: removed the comment about you being an ass

My Cars
    M3,540i 6spd
    i recently got a 2002 540/6spd.... how do i know if fan clutch or anything is going bad.. i have 50k exactly on my car, any symptoms of cooling part failures i can anticipate?

My Cars
    M3,540i 6spd
    im on the same boat as you... ill be looking for the same information your looking for in no time

My Cars
    M3,540i 6spd
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...WATpmp_pg1.htm they have a list of parts you need in one bundle! if its not priced right( i dont know..) at least you see a list of needed parts

My Cars
    2006 4Runner
    You guys are going to put Gumbi in the looney bin.

If the forum search isn't working, go to Google and type in your search but at the end of your search add the following:
    <stuff I want to search for> site:forums.bimmerforums.com
    Possibly, maybe, conceivably, thinking about getting back into another E39. Hide your daughters

My Cars
    M3,540i 6spd
    3. is there an online location to find service records?
    a bmw dealer can help locate service records, but you might actually have to find one that you think was serviced in( could be wrong) still trying to figure that one out..

My Cars
    E70 | FZJ100 | Z31
    Jason, a good way to see all of the parts for your car w/BMW part numbers is to look it up at realoem.com. Then take those part numbers and run price checks at various online parts vendors. Several that I've used and are really good are: oembimmerparts, arizonahausaz, and pelicanparts. Also, always buy new parts for cooling system maint.

As far as the parts go...you def want a new expansion tank. Don't go by how the thing looks. It's plastic and it will crack over time. It's cheap enough to warrant getting a new one and doing everything at once. Otherwise your list looks fairly complete. I didn't go with tensioners or a new rad cap when I did mine, but did get a new WP pulley and bleed screw. Also picked up new radiator mounts. You're probably fine with the belts. Also, don't forget gaskets and o-rings as needed (again, see realoem)...and coolant, of course. There are other hoses that you'll need, too.

Make sure to check the DIY section for additional info. Here's a good DIY for the V6 linked from this forum's DIY section -> http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

Good luck!
    |dg

My Cars
    '02 525
    daytonablew: Thanks for that link, it helped alot. From what I have read there are two schools of thought. The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the "If your at 70k, do it all anyway".

I have a radiator leak, so new radiator. I have no other symptoms other than leaking coolant from the side of the radiator. Engine not running hot (even after a 2 hour drive in the Texas heat). It just needs about 12 oz of water a day.

The plastic water pump plus the countless posts about it failing makes me want to change it, but I am now not sure about hacking into something with no symptoms.

Changing the water pump means changing the fan clutch. Something about the one affecting the other. A new clutch on a bad pump will make the clutch go bad again.

TyroneShoe: I totally spaced that you could do site specific searches with google, thanks for the tip.

dgz32:I think I may need to social engineer the BMW service center to get the service records. I would almost bet money that the expansion tank was replaced within the last 2 years, it just looks too new. If I can get a service report then I should know which way to lean.

I have no seepage from the water pump and my top hose does surge when I squeeze it so I think the water pump is functioning correctly.

Oh, I did find out one possible way to get the service list. Go thru the cashier. They can apparantly pull your records up and print them out for you. Will let you know if that works.

Once I have that list then I will see where to go.

Jason

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    You should go ahead and bite the bullit---water pump--rad--fan clutch and fan-thermostat and housing--all pullies and tensioners-to just replace the rad you will need to remove the fan and clutch anyway--I used OEMbimmer parts--Max is great with prices and service. Now with that said check out this website and read down
    to the part on the how to remove the fan shroud--great work in it's own right for just that--plus I would suggest that while your down that far to also replace the Vanos seals as thats what the website is about.
    http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Take careful note on how to refill the cooling fluid--raise the car--turn the ingnition on with the heat on max and let the backup electric water pump fill the system--to many just try to fill the car and with out doing the above and then damaging the engine. I did all the above back in Dec. plus new 02 sensors and plugs--car really loved those new seals.
    Hope that helps

My Cars
    '02 525
    Wow Poolman, that was an informative web site.

I hate that the vanos issue on the M54 is characterized with "car performance will be degraded". I don't think my car is bogged down, it seems to go smooth through the whole range.

The only way to check on the M54 is to remove the vanos and rotate it. At that point, you might as well replace the seals anyway.

I think I will save that for another day when it isn't so freaking hot outside.