Thread: "Click" sound with brake engagement

"Click" sound with brake engagement

I replaced my front rotors/pads about 1.5k miles ago and now they have begun to make a loud "click" sound almost everytime I engage them. Everything seems to be intact/tight re the calipers and hardware. I have been told that perhaps my anti-rattle clips are spent. Possble? TIA

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    When I had that noise, it was diagnosed as a lose caliper. :
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2000 328Ci 1992 325is

Pads loose?

I had a similar problem with my brakes. I replaced all four rotors and pads, but when I was installing the pads I broke off one of the three clips on the back of the pad that go into the calipers cylinder. So my brakes would rattle, and when I stepped on the brakes, I would hear a click/clunk sound, which I think was the pads centering.
    After I replaced my pads again, the pads were in there tight and could not be moved from the outside after everything was assembled.
    You could try checking the pads to see if they move at all, if they do you could try to spread the clips out to get a better fit.

-Erik

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    hey technoviolent, how are the zimmerman's? i warped my euro floaters and decided to give the zimmerman's a try. i'll be getting them on friday according to the ups tracking info. any good or bad comments about them? also, have you tracked/auto-xed with them? later

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    Hey BJO, Have you had decent luck with your "Euro" rotors? Are they worth $140 a piece? Please let me know. Thanks, N8.
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2007 335i Sport - Euro Delivery - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    jadorem3: the euro floaters are pretty good, look really nice, and hold up to abuse well, but i've still managed to warp 2 sets due to my driving style $140 is a little high. try pacificbmw.com they carry them for $104ea! i've gotten used to the fact that rotors are a disposable item, so i figured that $124 for 2 zimmermans is worth a try.

Originally posted by BJO
    hey technoviolent, how are the zimmerman's?
    They look awesome. I painted the "hat" portion of them flat black with some high temp paint (otherwise it will rust to a bright orange after a few wet days). Also painted my calipers bright aluminum. Have you ever driven on x-drilled rotors before? If not, the slight vibration you get through the pedal will be a bit disconcerting at first. But you get used to it pretty quick.

However, I have not been able to really put them to the test performance wise. Shortly after the install, I had to do an emergency stop from high speed and badly glazed the rotors/pads (rotex) early on - prior to complete breaking/bedding-in. Anyway, Braking power has been pretty wack ever since. I've been driving around doing various stop techniques in an effort to remove the glaze, to no avail. In the process, I think I have broken the retaining clips off of the backs of the pads (which I think are now fried beyond all recognition) This weekend, I am changing the pads to Porterfield R4S and de-glazing the rotors. Hopefully I'll get it right this time.