Thread: Shaking problem and no it's not the steering wheel shake.

My Cars
    09 Chevy 1500 4x4

Angry Shaking problem and no it's not the steering wheel shake.

My car has suddenly decided it is going to shake like a girl's ass in the club on Friday night. It starts at 57-58mph and gets progressively worse until 70mph, then it will start to even out and by 80 you can hardly feel it. The steering wheel itself hardly shakes, it is the actual car itself. The tire pressure on all four tires is correct and I can't think of anything I have done recently that might have messed up anything suspension wise. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem before sinking a crap load of money into it just to find out it's something simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
    Hey pal, I may have a needle d**k, but I've got an a** like a sewing machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Volf View Post
    I still can't believe you rode that bitch like a pony at a 6th grade birthday party and lived to tell about it...

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    1994 325i Auto Conv. 137K miles, 2001 Chevy Tahoe
    bent rims. off balance wheels (those little weights are only stuck with double sided tape. they fall off like bikini tops on spring break). bent drive shaft or axle (ugh). bad shocks or stuts.

or maybe your car has found its harmonic resonance and the car vibrates at the point of sonic harmony. jk.

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    driveshaft...been there done that. your U-joints are gone.
    -ducky

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
    Bent rear rims?
    +1. Happened to me. Though 3 out of 4 of my rims were bent....

My Cars
    09 Chevy 1500 4x4
    I'll see if its the rims this weekend as I have to change back to stock rims already. As for the U-Joints I would believe that it would shake constantly and not at a certain speed.

I still can't believe you rode that bitch like a pony at a 6th grade birthday party and lived to tell about it...

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    How old are the tires? Over time they produce little bumps along inside/ outside of the wheel. When your driving it almost hops. Run your hand along inside outside of tires see what you feel. Mine shook like that too. Its actually doing it now too ( i need new tires) any who. Like they all said check balance and maybe need new tires. Mine was perfect after i had this done. It might be more then that just trying to put in my experience.

1996 Schwarz II 328is ,5 speed, Black on Black, Sport Package
    Cosmos V2 CAI, M50 manifold swap + sharked, Bilstein Sports, CF strut brace, M3 control arms + 95 offsets, Tinted windows, 18 inch breyton rims, 6000k Hid with thin line angel eyes, clears all the way around

Up next - Cams and Clutch
    Then hopefully LSD and SC, maybe even squeeze a whole tear down and rebuild in Yea That is what i want.

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDD View Post
    I'll see if its the rims this weekend as I have to change back to stock rims already. As for the U-Joints I would believe that it would shake constantly and not at a certain speed.
    doesnt matter. it started with me at ~50-60 mph...then over time it got worse and worse and worse...finally the vibrations wore out my tranny mounts and then the shaking got HORRIBLE!!!!! do something about it early on...
    -ducky

My Cars
    09 Chevy 1500 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky328i View Post
    doesnt matter. it started with me at ~50-60 mph...then over time it got worse and worse and worse...finally the vibrations wore out my tranny mounts and then the shaking got HORRIBLE!!!!! do something about it early on...
    I'll check it out but I'm not convinved its my U-Joints just yet. If the rim swap this weekend doesn't work I'll take it to a shop and have them check out the U-Joints and suspension. My best guess is two bent rims as I hit a pothole going about 45mph about two weeks ago and this problem started not long after. We'll see though. If it comes down to U-Joints and/or suspension replacement I'm gonna have a 91 Chevy Suburban for sale reeaaallll cheap to cover the cost.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS, VW Beetle, MGB Tourer
    the U-Joints might cause the car to vibrate, not shake

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    Quote Originally Posted by parolof View Post
    wanna bet?
    -ducky

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by parolof View Post
    shake/vibrate... they are the same. just tend to classify vibrate as a higher oscillation than shake.

I'm with the U joints/flexdisk issue.

My e24 has driveshaft issues.. it has a large Ujoint instead of flexdisk..
    the shakes/vibrations dont show up until about 60 and get more intense the faster I go.. the vibrations surge about every 3 seconds, almost like clockwork.

My Cars
    BMW 318i 1998
    I had the same problem it would shake allwas though. I put factory wheels on and its like a new car. The other rims are not bent but most likely off balanced cause they havent been in about 2 years and i know they need it.But after factory wheels where put on the problem went away.
    My Car

17" Quantum Tek rims//30% tinted windows//Panasonic CQ-C5303U head//Orion 12" subs(2)//Audio Planet 350watt amps(2)//Costum exhuast//DIY CAI

To Do:
    re-do tint 15% all around//M3 front bumper//new 18" rims//angle eyes//clear corners//clear sides//black kindnys

My Cars
    09 Chevy 1500 4x4
    So it turns out that it was just one damn tire and rim that was causing the vibration. I went to have a couple of drinks and eat at a local sports bar I frequent and when I came out my front right was flat. So I change it and head home, guess what, no vibration AT ALL, not even the tiniest bit! I'm still gonna have to replace the rims as I know the right rear has a small crack in it. Anyone local wanna sell me a decent set of rims for under $400? I would love you forever!

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    shake/vibrate... they are the same. just tend to classify vibrate as a higher oscillation than shake.

I'm with the U joints/flexdisk issue.

My e24 has driveshaft issues.. it has a large Ujoint instead of flexdisk..
    the shakes/vibrations dont show up until about 60 and get more intense the faster I go.. the vibrations surge about every 3 seconds, almost like clockwork.
    ok ok i have the same prloblem, everytime i accelerate the car has an extreme shaking right in the middle and it seems like its something dealing with the driveshaft. i already replaced my center support bearing because it was badly damaged due to the shaking. you think it can be the flexdisk???

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    yes its your flex disc and/or tranny mounts
    -ducky