Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M50 swap-101

My Cars
    09 335
    Hockey puck motor mounts eh

My Cars
    E21s: 316 x 2, 323i x 3. E30s: 318i, 318is x 2
    Cheers Jason! Yeah hockey pucks. Cheap, stiff, tough motor mounts. In all they've cost me approx $25

My Cars
    323i, 530i, '13 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by rob0r View Post
    Cheers Jason! Yeah hockey pucks. Cheap, stiff, tough motor mounts. In all they've cost me approx $25
    Wow! That's awesome! Hockey FTW!

My Cars
    E21s: 316 x 2, 323i x 3. E30s: 318i, 318is x 2
    People have been using them for a while now. A much cheaper alternative to urethane mounts, and noise/vibrations aren't reported to be that bad.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    did you fry that one piece that burns up if you leave the key on to long? its on the side with the heat sink and is either first or last, i don't remember which. i fried it on my ms when i tried starting my 30 the first time
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    hahaha!!! I love the hockey puck mounts!!!! I have been having problems with my MS, i messed up on the settings and that caused problems. I have now fixed that, but im not getting an rpm signal into MS and im stumped! But besides that so far so good!

My Cars
    e12 m5 e21 320
    Nice to see M5... swap in e21
    I just making a M54b30 swap

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by himizoli View Post
    I just making a M54b30 swap
    M54 power nice!

So i finally got my MS working on the stim, tomorrow i am going to pput it on the car and give it a go. I am praying to the BMW Gods that i make some progress tomorrow. Once i get over this little hurdle im that much closer to finishing!

My Cars
    323i, 530i, '13 Cooper S
    So, what all is left to do after the MS?

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    After the megasquirt i have to get a drive shaft made and an exhaust and thats it!

My Cars
    '80 320is, '88 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by hdriven View Post
    After the megasquirt i have to get a drive shaft made and an exhaust and thats it!

And tires because you know you're gunna burn alot of them up

My Cars
    E36 328i LeMansBlue, E30
    nice!

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    ok well... so far so good. Im working on getting my driveshaft made but jezzz its expensive! I was quoted around 300 dollars to cut, replace U joints and balance the driveshaft. So, right now im undecicive about what to do. Any suggestions?

Moving on...my megasquirt is coming out awesome, i just finished up all the last bits of wiring, including wiring in a wideband sensor. Im just waiting for one coil driver (which i accidently broke) and then i will begin tuning.

As far as my exhaust is concerned i think im just going to make my own. I was quoted around 200 dollars plus the cost of a muffler for an exhaust. The exhaust shop doesnt even do mandrel bends! So, i think im just going to weld up my own exhaust. Im just going to buy some mandrel bends and a muffler and start cuting and welding. I think i can get it done for under 120 dollars total.

Oh one last thing i painted my valve cover hot rod green!!!! Its mega cool!!!! Ill post some pics of it. i have already begun to get some crap because of green valve cover, but hey its my car right?!

Well i hope i get this thing running soon, im gettin antsy in the pantsy!

My Cars
    1975 BMW 2002
    Honestly, 300 sounds about right. When my 2002 driveshaft was redone it cost that much.

My Cars
    83 BMW 320i, 03 Chevy 1500HD
    What are the pros and cons of the MS over the OBD1 or OBD2 management system? I have a M52 from a 2000 Z3 I am thinking about swapping, but the OBD2 and EWS is a royal PITA, I may have a way to use the OBD2, still looking into that.... I have most of the parts for the OBD1 conversion which SHOULD get me around the EWS which is the big issue for me with the OBD2, but I would have to get the DME reworked for a 2.8L since it came from a 2.5L. What would the MS do for me besides allowing me to tune and hopefully not have to fool with the EWS? I have heard people knock it, i am unbiased, just trying to make an educated decision. I have considered it for the M20 I was going to use in my swap, since I figure it would be better than the 20+ year old Motronic and be tunable, but how does it stack up to more modern engine management systems? Thanks for any input anyone mat have.....

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    I used megasquirt for a number of reasons... 1. I already had it from a previous car 2. It allows me to tune the car to take advantage of every single upgrade (exhaust, intake,turbo...etc) . 3. Its the coolest thing to see the look on peoples faces when they find out i built and programmed the MS.

Yes, of course there are A LOT of reasons why megasquirt sucks, but the fact of the matter is that its a stand alone engine management that is cheap!

There have been many discussions about megasquirt and the pros and cons, and in my opinion MS is the best bang for the buck.

So here is the green valve cover...looks sweet!

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by hdriven View Post
    So here is the green valve cover...looks sweet!
    oh snap!

well, like you said, it's your car, so... have fun

My Cars
    323i, 530i, '13 Cooper S
    I like the green...and that scares me a little...

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    Ok well here is small update...I got some parts to finish up my car. I have a few 3 inch mandrel bends and a couple flanges to make my exhaust. I also got a couple of boards to hold my coil drivers, currently im waiting for some dumb mica insulators... but anyways, i am very happy with the bends they are going to make a nice exhaust! I now need to start doing some welding.

My Cars
    77 320i, 78 bronco
    looks like an awesome project... cant wait to see the results. btw... did you ever sell your m10?

i like the green valve covers... i painted the valve covers for my 78 bronco Detroit Diesel Alpine Green.... was gonna post a pic, but maybe later

yikes... that signature pic didn't work... sorry bout that, will fix later
    Last edited by greenmachine78; 01-23-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    4dr(E46 323i, E30 325e)
    More pics!

Quote Originally Posted by robspeed20 View Post
    having a fast honda is like coming out of the closet, you suprise EVERYONE at first, but at the end of the day, your still gay....

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    Yeah more details and pics please
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    1990 325is
    I just found this thread... nice. I'm over in Bremerton with an M54 e30. It's OBD1 but I'm interested in the MS, too.

I'd like to see it running some time!

www.seattlecircuit.com

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    Hi there guys,
    Sorry i have no updates ... i have been ridiculously busy with school, and the semester barely began! I have not done any work to my little bimmer and for some reason im starting to loose the drive to finish it. I know, im almost done soooo close, but i wish i had some help sometimes... you know?

Well i guess the latest update is that i got the engine started BUT as soon as the engine started up there was a loud shrieking sound, sounded like a belt, but it doesnt have a belt So, im not sure what the problem is, it might have to do with the transmission, but im not sure.

One thing is for sure i wish i had some help on the build, to make it a little easier and less stressfull.

I will try to get more pics up, is there any particular kind of pics you want to see? Any partiular question that you want more detail on?

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Since this thread was linked in another recent thread... Updates?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast