Thread: Manual convertible top cover will not open

My Cars
    1999 328i

Manual convertible top cover will not open

My apologies for submitting a question that may be covered by a previous post but I've invested an hour in searching for an answer and I've come up empty.

My 96 318i manual top cover will not open. The cover release latch behind the drivers seat does nothing. In fact, my sons broke it. We can get at the cable inside and pull it hard with a pliers but its still inoperable. The passenger side of the cover isn't latched. My son reported that the dogear string on the drivers side had torn just before this happened. I thought the string might be jamming the latch mechanism but we were able to pull out the string and its still jammed. How do I free the cover latch under these circumstances?

Thanks

My Cars
    06 E90 330i sp 6MT
    open the trunk. there are 2 motors. one under the rear deck and another on the left side. tak off the side carpet and the one under the rear deck if you wanna release that too.

the left one controls the metal cover

the one under the deck controls the top itself

once u take off the carpet, u will see the motors behind the mechanism. what u do is there's a cable from that reaease latch under the seat that runs to the motor to release them.

if u look at the mechanism in the trunk. u will see what the cables attach to easily. jut push that leaver and if u feel the motor in the back, it will drop sideways and be loose.

if it doesn't have someone push the metal lid down a bit and play with the motor by pushing it off the mechanism.

u can do the same if u want to disable the top motor thats under the deck.
    '06 330i e90, 6MT, Sport, Premium, Winter, (AND FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS!!!) wohoo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    06 E90 330i sp 6MT
    when u want to reuse the motors, just pull the motors into the mechanism again, u will hear a click and they will be tight.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Thanks

So, you're saying that even though this is a MANUAL top there are motors involved? All I figured is that the latch was jammed or snagged on something. I figured the cable running from the latch release is unable to free the jam. I've never heard any motors when I release the latch that holds the cover down. I thought it was an entirely manual procedure.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    i think he missed the whole "manual" part. the manual soft tops shouldn't have motors.

the only thing i can think of would be to keep messing with it.

FYI, there is a whole section about convertibles. perhaps a mod could move this there?

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    IIRC, the only difference between the manual and automatic covertible is when the top connects to the windshield area. For both, there should be motors that raise the tonneau cover and retract/extend the top to/from the storage bay just behind the back seat.

The dogear strings getting caught in the mix really shouldn't matter.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

My Cars
    1999 328i
    The tonneau cover on a manual must be raised by hand. You pull the latch release and lift the tonneau about 4 inches (this is what I can't accomplish) then you reach under the cover and push n another latch, then the tonneau lifts fully up for access to the convertible top for raising by hand. It has worked like a charm until now.

Thanks

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashland View Post
    IIRC, the only difference between the manual and automatic covertible is when the top connects to the windshield area. For both, there should be motors that raise the tonneau cover and retract/extend the top to/from the storage bay just behind the back seat.

The dogear strings getting caught in the mix really shouldn't matter.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.
    i think you're just thinking of the semi-automatic top and the fully automatic top. there was also a fully manual manual top.

My Cars
    1999 328i
    This is kinda funny, really. I'm a guy who appreciates less technology and with my top I felt comfortable that there was less to go wrong. There's got to be a way to pop this first latch. What's the alternative? Completely disassembling the car? I'll let you guys know when/if I get it apart. Right now we got the hardtop on. We've waited forever for summer here in Chicago and we celebrate by driving a coupe!

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    i think a lot of the people that like to dig their cars apart dont have fully manual tops. i've never seen one in person on an e36. i have a friend with a manual roof on an e46, which is kind of strange.

i guess you could start with the driver's side interior panel?

My Cars
    06 E90 330i sp 6MT
    really all manual top? never seen that before. i've worked on convertable bmw top mechanisms. the diff between the new e36 and old 36 is the manual release by the windshield. the rest is motor controlled.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325iC
    I have a fully manual top too and experienced that problem. The back cover latches in both sides and sometimes one of the latches is off and it will not open. Try pushing both sides down (you might hear a click) and then try the level to open it again. That worked for me.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    apparently, there shall be no escape from e36 softtop woes. crap.

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Thanks for all the help, gang. Here's what it was all about.

By a miracle we jiggled the release lever and drummed on the tonneau cover and the latch popped. Then we investigated what the problem was. The bolt holding the passenger side latch came out and it offered no resistance to the cable that splits in the compartment and is supposed to work both latches. We reinstalled the bolt and tightened up the drivers side bolt and the release cable started working reliably. Now I just have to pick up a new release lever and the adventure will be officially over. I still don't know what we would've done if that latch hadn't popped. The moral is: Check those bolts that hold the latches in the compartment.

My Cars
    06 330 Ci ZHP vert
    I'm guessing that most of us who have semi or full automatic tops envy your simple manual top problem. I would gladly turn my auto top in for a manual. Unfortunately, I believe they only came on the 318i.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by logisoft View Post
    The moral is: Check those bolts that hold the latches in the compartment.
    good idea. i do that from time to time in my car. you might also want to go back and put some loctite on the parts you had to tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by davester View Post
    I'm guessing that most of us who have semi or full automatic tops envy your simple manual top problem.
    not i

My Cars
    1998 323 IC
    Quote Originally Posted by davester View Post
    I'm guessing that most of us who have semi or full automatic tops envy your simple manual top problem. I would gladly turn my auto top in for a manual. Unfortunately, I believe they only came on the 318i.

Got a fully manual top on my 98 323iC. It's for sale in the classifieds if you want one of your own.

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    I will have to check the bolts on mine. So far no problems.....where is some wood to knock on?......

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessinokc View Post
    I will have to check the bolts on mine. So far no problems.....where is some wood to knock on?......
    i've got a glovebox trim panel available, if you want it.

My Cars
    Many BMW's-328iVert 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by palomino View Post
    i think a lot of the people that like to dig their cars apart dont have fully manual tops. i've never seen one in person on an e36. i have a friend with a manual roof on an e46, which is kind of strange.

i guess you could start with the driver's side interior panel?
    hey palomino, when i was searching my e36, I specifically searched for manual top and manual seats. I really wanted less of a hassle (in case the motors broke, fuses went, or some other electrical nightmare).

I guess some people can deal with it, i for one, didnt want to spend my time looking for solutions to those problems if they came about. Id rather stick to sensors and engine and such.

I also specifically looked for a manual 5 speed, once again, the 5 speed is less expensive to fix than an automatic (from my experience).

My Cars
    99 5spd M3 cabrio, 94 31
    I had the manual top on my 96 318 Cabrio. It took about half as long to put up and down as the fully automatic top, the only drawback being you have to get out of the car to do it.

Given a choice between the two, I'd take the fully manual top. Though my kids do get a kick out of closing the top on the M3 using the key in the door method.

The other neat thing you can do, if you are so inclined, is use the compartment for hiding stuff in when the top is up. Not so easy to do on the automatic tops.

My Cars
    Many BMW's-328iVert 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by francisd View Post
    I had the manual top on my 96 318 Cabrio. It took about half as long to put up and down as the fully automatic top, the only drawback being you have to get out of the car to do it.

Given a choice between the two, I'd take the fully manual top. Though my kids do get a kick out of closing the top on the M3 using the key in the door method.

The other neat thing you can do, if you are so inclined, is use the compartment for hiding stuff in when the top is up. Not so easy to do on the automatic tops.
    I wonder what I would stash in there? J/K

I guess some sandals, and stuff when you go to the beach or something!

My Cars
    A few grocery getters
    I am going to dredge this up to add some information. I also have the manual top, and the top cover was stuck. After eliminating the trunk microswitch as the cause and beating the Hell out of the top cover trying to knock something loose I had no luck. The lock solenoid on the cover was broken. I was able to unlock it with a coat hanger. Since I trust myself not to open the top cover while the trunk is open, I simply disconnected the rod from the solenoid so it does not interfere with the latch.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323 i Convertib
    Quote Originally Posted by outrunm View Post
    I am going to dredge this up to add some information. I also have the manual top, and the top cover was stuck. After eliminating the trunk microswitch as the cause and beating the Hell out of the top cover trying to knock something loose I had no luck. The lock solenoid on the cover was broken. I was able to unlock it with a coat hanger. Since I trust myself not to open the top cover while the trunk is open, I simply disconnected the rod from the solenoid so it does not interfere with the latch.
    can you tell me how to open the cover with a coathanger? i've got the same problem and can't figure out what to make contact with.

thanks

My Cars
    e39, e36, Porsche 944
    hey folks,

I run into the same issue (full manual top, roof storage compartment release handle has no effect on the driver side latch, only passenger side released), and luckily, managed to open the lid without breaking or cutting anything.

This is the guide that I found to be the most relevant (and useful): https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threa...t-open.103824/

I lifted the half-latched lid from the driver's side, snagged a wrench in between the lid and the body so there is some opening, and was able to see the problematic latch with my flashlight. Next, I pulled the black piece that should be moved backed and forth by the servo, removed the wrench to restore the normal conditions, pulled the latch release handle once again, and voila - it opened just as normal.

The problem in my case is also the malfunctioning servo that is not able to move the black plastic piece far enough to let the latch work.