Thread: RDC - TPM Control Unit Replacement

My Cars
    '02 745Li, 69 Chevelle

Question RDC - TPM Control Unit Replacement

Went to the shop today for a TPM problem. I just replaced my wheels and tires and put new sensors in the wheels. Discount tire couldn't get it to work (didn't work before because the sensors had dead batteries per the shop) so I took it to the BMW service shop.

They diagnosed and determined it was a RDC control unit problem. Not sure I want to spend $650 to get a tire pressure read.

Anyone know of a place to get used or replacement units direct?
    Last edited by BimmerGuy1969; 06-21-2008 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745Li

nope

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerGuy1969 View Post
    Went to the shop today for a TPM problem. I just replaced my wheels and tires and put new sensors in the wheels. Discount tire couldn't get it to work (didn't work before because the sensors had dead batteries per the shop) so I took it to the BMW service shop.

They diagnosed and determined it was a RDC control unit problem. Not sure I want to spend $650 to get a tire pressure read.

i have the same problem. RDC unit costs $426 and labor 190 hour. bullcrap for a tire sensor. don't need it. so how do i turn off the alerts.

keywords
    tpm tpms bmw e65 e66 2003 745li 745 745i tire pressure monitoring sensors tpm sensor control unit control module
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 01-23-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: adding keywords

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    if you ahve the sensors in the wheels your spare also has one. If your spare wheel sensor is not facing the 1 o'clock position it will also set of the warming. Just ask how i know.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745LI
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    if you ahve the sensors in the wheels your spare also has one. If your spare wheel sensor is not facing the 1 o'clock position it will also set of the warming. Just ask how i know.

How?

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    the right rear sensor also reads the spare wheel. i had a customer take her car to a whlle shop to balance all tires (i actautly think they put a bent frt wheel in the trunk for spare,put spare on frt). When they put the spare wheel back in it was pointed to the 9 o'clock postion. after replaceing the module and wheel sensors and having a BMW tech rep come out we finally found the spare wheel was potioned improperly which was not allowing the system to reset. Now this was over about a 3 week period. Techline was even stumped. nobody even thinks about reading the spare. toyota, Benz,audi, VW even monitor the spare.

i just have a newer (not sure on yr) 4runner come thru (trade in) and the spare was missing, the tire pressure would not reset.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    740, 745Li
    When your batteries were dead in the sensors, did the car report anything such as "Tyre pressure controller failure"?

My car is reporting "Tyre pressure controller failure" and I'm wondering if its time for new sensors in the wheels (as the sensors are now 7 years old), or if its something with the control unit.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerGuy1969 View Post

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    the battery can be read by using the BMW diagnostic machine. The dealer or someone with a BMW GT1 can read/tell you the life remaining of the batts.

BTW the batteries are not replaceable, you have to replace the whole sensor, I am not really sure what they say when they go dead, I have not seen that yet. but that does bring up a good point.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    E34 B10 ALPINA
    DEAR OH DEAR, Boys!! What is wrong with the 'old' method of purchasing a good gauge (kept in the glove box) & do a (MAX) 5 minute pressure test (incl. spare) monthly/weekly/daily? Whatever your fancy... AND always use the same gauge whenever at ANY air supply place, including a check AFTER tyre fitting.... purely for consistency of pressure from a CONSISTENT source.

OK, if a flat occurs whilst driving, MOST drivers would realise there's a problem & stop, look & (if necessary) change wheels. If a "sensor" says there's a problem one would be required to do JUST EXACTLY that anyway!

Wouldn't they?

Unless the scumbag manufacturer doesn't supply a spare or "space saver". (((IOM they are splitting hairs anyway))), because "weight reduction saves fuel bullshit". It is sooooo minimal it has NOTHING to do with "global warming" .... DON'T get me started on THAT!!!

"Space savers"/"Runflats" or NO spare AT ALL is great stuff if you're around town where there's lots of taxi's/RAC & other motoring help. Try using this in ANY country where "help" can often be hundreds or even thousands of miles away. From outback Australia/Canada/USA/China/Russia/Africa etc, etc! Try getting an immediate run flat replacement in, say Iceland! Jeasus!!!! I live 300 kilometers from a major Australian City & MUST wait up to a FN week for a run flat tyre replacement!!!

My soapbox is crumbling under my tears and so, friends I must depart. I welcome ALL comment good & BAD.... I can handle rejection! But comment of all persuasion is invited

GURGLE, GURGLE..........

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    there is nothing wrong with manually checking yoru tire pressures. the problem these customers are having is the damn warning light that appears in the cluster and i-drive that WONT go away until the system is fixed.

I tell my cutomers to check tire pressure at least once a mth to keep tire wear to a minumum and mpg up.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    '03 745Li
    My RDC unit has been done 4 times (before I bought the car) its dead again, but my $5 psi gauge does the trick

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    you can thank our federal gov for run-flat tires and these stupid tpm systems.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2008 528xi
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my 08 528xi. I'm curious as to how do you position your spare wheel sensor in the 1 o'clock position? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    745li 2003
    I have replaced all the sensors on the 4 wheels, but not the spare...They cannot reset the TPM. Is there a way to eliminate the spare from this process?

Bart

My Cars
    2019 X5 40i, 2012 X5 35i
    If you're reading this very old thread and looking for ideas and solutions, perhaps the youtube fix shown here will solve your problem: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI..._QWZEglNLveUQQ