Thread: Electrical Gremlins... Help

My Cars
    e36 m3

Electrical Gremlins... Help

In reverse order -

- RPM tach, fuel gauge, temp gauge, turn signals all went out at once. Didn't hear a pop or anything and i couldn't find any blown fuses. Anyone have this happen?

- One of my headlights was out (depot angel eyes) and I tested all the connections, voltage was dead on one, replaced the fuse, voltage is all good now. Except now have the angel eyes out on one side and both headlights are extremely dim.

- Climate control has been acting up, turning off or getting stuck in the on position with the screen turning off or very dim. Seems to work more reliably in cold weather, it's been dead completely for several weeks now with the warmer weather. Will be trying out the DIY to fix the board/re-solder before deciding to get a new one. Any other thoughts?

My Cars
    `98 M3 Convertible
    You lost me... can you clarify the order of failure? What is currently not functioning?
    --
    Gac's the name. Seriously.

I drive a Metallic Fern Green 1998 BMW M3 Convertible with a hard top. I just rolled over 67k, and I rate the current appearance of the car as 7.8/10, pending repair of some trim pieces. I rate the drive condition as a 7.1/10 until I figure out why my clutch gets into a "slippy mood" evey few months. It is bone-dry stock, except for a modern head unit and slotted/dimpled rotors and ceramic pads. I like it this way. It is awesome.

That is all. Carry on.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I work in electronics and have the Bentley so I might be able to help you out. Looks like there could be a lot to discuss so PM me.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    all of the issues mentioned above aren't 'working'...

oh, and another thing, the chime or tone you hear when you turn the key in the ignition on, no longer there. all the lights seem to come on and turn off normally tho
    Last edited by johnnyboi1016; 06-19-2008 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Open the Trunk, Look at the Harness that is coming out at the Drivers Side Hinge. Take an exacto knife and carefully cut down the protective sleeve, and inspect the wires. They are know to have broken and missing insulation, even broken wires. Can mess up all sorts of things throughout the car. There is a LONG thread in the reg E36 Forum. I found busted insulation of 6 wires (exposing the copper wire inside) and 2 broken wires in mine 2 years ago. I re-wrapped all of them and its still fine though the harness should be replaced. $80 IIRC...Crappy German Plastics.....

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209