Thread: Blackberry/Bluetooth PDA to Cell Phone

My Cars
    Lots

Blackberry/Bluetooth PDA to Cell Phone

Hello geek-a-saurs,

I need some help and don't actually know a damn thing about this subject so be gentle. But here is something that I want to be able to accomplish.

I want to be able to use cell phones to transmit data files to remote people who would then download the files into a PC at the remote end. The transfer from phone to PC would be, could be by IR transmitter, firewire, USB etc. I don't really care. I just want to be able to do file transfers without a laptop, modem, internet connection or extra cost service.

Is this doable using MMS or smoke signals??????????? If so, how? How large of files can be transmitted and D/L'd to a PC? What is the data rate?

Last caveat, the remote user's cellphone can't be used as a dial up modem because the point of transfer into a PC is in a 2nd level basement without cell reception. The user needs to be able to go outside, get the file by call or MMS and then transfer the file to the PC or another intermiarry device like a USB memstick drive etc.

So spin those propellers and tell me if this is possible now or in the near term.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Use blueberry.

Shove phone into Mrs. Smith's Blueberry pie. Bake 30 minutes.

---

I don't know the answer, but I can say that phones and PDA's and all that are on the verge of being able to do all this stuff.

Phones can't do much with data files since the can't open or store them very well. Phones can do e-mail, but I'm not sure what they do with attachments.

The next round of phone enabled PDA's should be able to handle this type of stuff. Cisco just release a phone that enables WiFi or cellular connections via a laptop/PDA, since WiFi is not always available the plan is to use cellular as a backup while WiFi gets up to speed.

Bluetooth can do things like sync contact lists on phones, and on computers you can get bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboards.

The next 12 months should be interesting.

I could be totally wrong on a lot of this, but I think everything is in flux. I think it's at least a year late since the economy tanked and people don't spend money like they did 3 years ago.

----

It will be frustrating, but go to the major phone websites and read their fluff and lies. T-Mobile and Sprint and Verizon seem to be the furthest along in this integration.

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    In a small word, no, but I'm trying to work on a solution for you Jim ....er rather some type of idea that might hap-hazzardly work.

My Cars
    Jim...

My Cars
    Lots
    Hyp,

Catching Lightning in a bottle is easy. I can sell you 4 examples for $50. Includes mounting system and lifetime warranty.

Pffffffttttttttttt!

My Cars
    Well..... well.... you uh.... you....

BY THE WAY...

My Cars
    Lots
    Off your medication again? Put the knife down.

My Cars
    Or what?

No cookie for me?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
    There are several Palm PC-based phones that will do the trick - Some cellular carriers (like Verizon), even offer a data service that will allow you to push files back and forth.

Come to The Insane House of Wacky People

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and—as it always has—rock crushes scissors.

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    Hmm I'm probably coming upon this one too late, but anyway ...

I think the catch here is that you specify no one should have an internet connection. But if you remove that constraint, you can probably accomplish what you want with no extra cost anyway, because you already say the remote user has a PC that they would use to download the file "from thier phone", but realistically if they have a PC they have an internet connection or else they are very bizarre and should be avoided.

Therefore, instead of this phone-to-phone-to-pc thing, you send them an email with your phone containing a URL to the file you want them to have. That URL points to one of your servers. They go to their PC and click the URL in the email and get the file.

Problem solved.
    Lee

My Cars
    Lots
    PC's are on a closed group subnet with draconian restrictions to the "network".

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    Sorry Jim,

But unless you and the other party have those type of PDA's that AckThud mentioned you probably aren't going to get too far too fast. This technology is still too far out, and you would also have to worry about wireless hacking as I can only guess that even if you *could* do this, there is no encryption. Right now the most cell phones can do is accept programmed ring tones, and business cards (like a vcard from Outlook). If you want, you can PM or IM me some more details and maybe I could think of a different way for you to do this. I work at a data center and work with many knowledgable techies in the area of storing and moving data. I'm not promising you anything, but me and a few of the guys at work might be able to drum *something* up for ya!

My Cars
    Lots
    Here is the problem wrapped up all in one scenario.

We manufacture medical devices that have software running under Windows XP Pro. The devices are installed in hospitals and while they are connected to the network, they are severely restricted and we can't just ftp software in off the net. occassionally we would like to be able to send new modules down the line to 3rd party support people or even our own people. For lots of reasons, most of them idiotic, the users don't have access to laptops. They do have PDAs, cell phones and a smattering of blackberry devices. The Dell computers running our software have USB, Firewire and Infrared ports that are functional. If I could transmit files to/through a phone and then have the phone dump the program using IR to a PDA or directly to the PC running our machine, it would be a big help. File sizes are generally 1-2 megs.

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    Originally posted by jsp98m3
    Here is the problem wrapped up all in one scenario.

We manufacture medical devices that have software running under Windows XP Pro.i.e.: computers? or dumb terminal type equipment? or the laptops you mention later in this paragraph? The devices are installed in hospitals and while they are connected to the network, they are severely restricted and we can't just ftp software in off the net.we'll get to this in a minute occassionally we would like to be able to send new moduleswhat are these modules? software updates? user profile updates? accounting info? down the line to 3rd party support people or even our own people. For lots of reasons, most of them idiotic, the users don't have access to laptops. They do have PDAs, cell phones and a smattering of blackberry devices. these will not carry the 1-2 meg files you need to send, purely messengers at this point in time The Dell computers running our software have USB, Firewire and Infrared ports that are functional.this isn't helpful as the cell phone idea is not functional right now, unless you have someone doing sneaker net, we can't use this.....for now. We need to look at a more centralized network solution, even if severely restricted If I could transmit files to/through a phone and then have the phone dump the program using IR to a PDA or directly to the PC running our machine, it would be a big help. File sizes are generally 1-2 megs.
    How far fetched is it to ask the network gurus (yes call them gurus even if you think they're morons, the more you stroke their ego, the more they'll be willing to persuade the necessary management to let you complete their project ) to setup a centralized server, and add these computers, laptops, dumb terminals (or whatever they are) and the central server to a new separate VLAN that only you and your group have access to, to push updates? It wouldn't be hard to setup the VLAN. And only minimal resources needed to setup a new server, or partition part of an existing one. Let me know what you think Jim. This is just off the top of my head at 11:10pm while sipping some Fizz soda.