Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Install thread - S50B32 install into a 1995 M3

My Cars
    '98 M3 Evo, '91 300e
    Very nice numbers indeed!

Interesting to see that the car makes nice torque down low as well.

"When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it's the other way round." -Hans Stuck

My Cars
    '05 M3 ZCP
    where is the adjustment for the throttle pedal? Behind the pedal or under the hood on the cable?

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    There are two adjustments points - one is near the end of the cable a few inches before it connects to the throttle body. As far as I can tell this is for fine adjustment - and it can be helpful to make sure the throttle is fully closed when there is no pressure on the pedal.

The second adjustment is a screw with a large rubber "nut" on top that is directly underneath the pedal itself. This is what you use to change the total pedal travel, and therefore the total available throttle cable travel. This is the adjustment I just changed over the weekend.

John

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayz328is View Post
    where is the adjustment for the throttle pedal? Behind the pedal or under the hood on the cable?
    Last edited by avusm3; 10-28-2008 at 09:03 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by avusm3 View Post
    By this time next year (20 track days from now) I should be able to say if it was worth it.
    Well?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    I'm loving it!!

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! It is certainly how the engineers at M GmbH wanted the car to be all along.

272rwhp in a 2750 lbs car makes for a pretty lively track day combination.

I love the 7500 reliable rpm, and the sound it makes. People come up to me at the track and ask - what's under the hood. They say it sounds different than any other E36 M3 out on track....

Over the winter I added 3.73 gears and a little aero -

You really notice the difference with the wing at speed. The rear end of the car is just glued to the road....now if I can only get rid of the understeer...

So how is yours running?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Well?
    Last edited by avusm3; 06-23-2009 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    E30M, E36M, E61TT
    sweet...is that the BW wing?

did you ever get to the NASA VIR event? hope you had a blast...

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    Yes it is the BW wing...the downforce is impressive, even at a 2 degree AOA.

I never did make it to VIR due to a number of reasons....

I would like to make it later this year or next year. Would you recommend any groups other than NASA (full course would be a must).

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by avusm3; 06-23-2009 at 10:03 PM.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Water temps were great - no higher that 205 F when the car was moving so the 57mm PWR rad is doing it's job. The oil temps were a little on the high side - they got to 130 C (~266 F) after about 15 minutes of running. I'd like to get them down to 120 C or below so I think I'll take the hood seal (L shaped part) off for my next track day on Thursday. I'm running the VAC oil cooler (9" x 10" x 2") and I'm wondering if I may need a slightly larger cooler.
    Same water temps for me with a standard size E36 aluminum fluidyne radiator, spal fan, water wetter and 8K redline in Oklahoma summer heat.

My oil temp issue seems to have been resolved. I recently had a massive 29" x 3.5" fluidyne oil cooler installed. It's the same cooler used by several Nascar teams.

I just had the car up a Mt. Tremblant for three days of running. Ambient temps were relatively cool, but I'm happy to report that the oil temp never exceeded 100C. It sat between 93 C and 100 C for the entire three days. Problem solved!
    That's great information to know. I haven't checked my oil temps yet. Was hoping the stock euro oil cooler was sufficient, but maybe not. Did you have a stock oil cooler before this?

The initial results were low because it turns out that I was only getting about 80% throttle opening the way the car had initially been setup after the transplant! This was due to the fact that I had not adjusted the throttle pedal stop (under the gas pedal) when the engine was installed.
    More good info. Thanks for posting your thread. My motor is also stock except for intake and straight exhaust. I'll have to check my throttle cable when I get home.

By the way......what did you use to make your splitter? just curious......I've used ABS plastic (too flexible) and alumalite (works pretty well). How did you attach it to the velocity splitters?
    Last edited by jmitro; 06-23-2009 at 10:47 PM.

My Cars
    E30M, E36M, E61TT
    Yes it is the BW wing...the downforce is impressive, even at a 2 degree AOA.

I never did make it to VIR due to a number of reasons....

I would like to make it later this year or next year. Would you recommend any groups other than NASA (full course would be a must).

Thanks,

John
    Our cars will look identical when mine is completed. Except, I have the 3.0 in my engine bay and alot more weight.

I like running with TrackDaze...the organizers and other instuctors make the weekend a ton of fun.

There is a 4 dayer with TrackDaze & MazdaDrivers Aug 27-30 that will most likely be my next event. I did it last year with some friends and camped out...it was a blast.

Recently did VIR Grand East with MazdaDrivers and I plan on doing that course again ASAP.

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    Same water temps for me with a standard size E36 aluminum fluidyne radiator, spal fan, water wetter and 8K redline in Oklahoma summer heat.
    Wow...205 is nice and cool if you are running to 8k in high summer temps. Your car clearly has plenty of cooling.

That's great information to know. I haven't checked my oil temps yet. Was hoping the stock euro oil cooler was sufficient, but maybe not. Did you have a stock oil cooler before this?
    I never ran the stock Euro cooler, only a small VAC setup which was inadequate. To be fair it was not well placed (too much of it was covered up by the bumper.) The Fluidyne unit I have now is awesome. Temp never gets above 105 C in the worst possible conditions (slow track, in 95F heat), and is usually in the low 90 C range.

More good info. Thanks for posting your thread. My motor is also stock except for intake and straight exhaust. I'll have to check my throttle cable when I get home.

By the way......what did you use to make your splitter? just curious......I've used ABS plastic (too flexible) and alumalite (works pretty well). How did you attach it to the velocity splitters?
    For the "riser" section I used a piece of aluminum angle stock in the center as a filler between the two OEM LWT pcs on each side (didn't use the velocity parts as I found out that they were even "taller" which would have yielded less than 3 inches of ground clearance). The actual splitter is 1/8" thick aluminum stock. It's not ideal, but it's pretty tough and pretty cheap at the same time. The splitter is attached to the bumper by a set of aluminum "Z" fold pieces. I've also added 2 small diameter "struts" in the center of the splitter which tie into the OEM bumper beam which help stiffen up the center section. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by avusm3; 06-25-2009 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    nice work.

on the oil temp turners make an oil diverter valve which replaces the thermostat which sends all the oil thru the cooler, which makes a difference along with installing in series a PWR oil cooler behind the kidney grille. got my oil temps from 145degC to about 125degC.

i also found something causing engine to heat up abit, when remoiving my exhaust from the headers to remove my gearbox, a massive restriction on a repaired expansion joint in my exhuast, the new one imploded in basicly giving me an effective DIA of 25mm (1") which would explain also some power loss at the top end LOL
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    The Fluidyne unit I have now is awesome. Temp never gets above 105 C in the worst possible conditions (slow track, in 95F heat), and is usually in the low 90 C range.
    Pics? Details? I'd like to get both my coolant and oil temps down.

I have a Zionsville alum radiator, but might need to go to a 57mm PWR or a Fluidyne. I have a Setrab cooler mounted behind the passenger headlight area (headlights removed) but it doesn't appear to cool as well as I would hope. I had one mounted in front of the radiator, but wanted to get away from stacking the oil cooler and radiator.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Bruce, what are your temps?

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    water is 210+, oil is 250+
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    That's not terrible but could be better based what I've read here. Seems like the desired oil temps are 100C or around 210F, water probably 190-200F

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    That's not terrible but could be better based what I've read here. Seems like the desired oil temps are 100C or around 210F, water probably 190-200F
    exactly...that is why I am considering a different radiator and oil cooler setup.

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
    Pics? Details? I'd like to get both my coolant and oil temps down.
    It's taken me a little while to get a response back....its been a busy few days.

Here is a pics of the car at NHMS that shows the oil cooler pretty clearly. As you can see it covers up the entire lower bumper opening. Since this picture was taken I've actually lowered it 2.5" to get a little more airflow to the radiator. I think I may actually have had too much oil cooling previously...

The oil cooler I'm using is a Fluidyne DB30816-24. Its 29 inch x 3 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch.

I'll post a pic of the revised setup soon.

Here are a couple of pics of the splitter center section I made up with the aluminum angle stock. The pie wedge cuts in the top help it bend to form the proper arc to match the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by M Dizzle View Post
    Our cars will look identical when mine is completed. Except, I have the 3.0 in my engine bay and alot more weight.
    Is your transplant complete or are you still working on it?
    Last edited by avusm3; 07-14-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    So how is yours running?
    It rips. The combination of the engine, cams and 3.91 diff makes for an exciting run through the gears!

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    The oil cooler I'm using is a Fluidyne DB30816-24. Its 29 inch x 3 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    It rips. The combination of the engine, cams and 3.91 diff makes for an exciting run through the gears!
    You did cams? What cams? How hard was the install? What software? Any problems setting up timing?
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Schrick 284. The seller of the engine, ABL handled the cam install.

The software is Alpha N, again sourced from ABL.

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMI1 View Post
    You did cams? What cams? How hard was the install? What software? Any problems setting up timing?
    Schrick 284. The seller of the engine, ABL handled the cam install.

The software is Alpha N, again sourced from ABL.
    Best to let people know that the 3.91 is paired with the 6 speed as well. Gets a little buzzy without the .83 gear for highway use.

The 3.91 LSD as delivered from the factory can be a very affordable upgrade along with the 6 speed. Just swap flanges on the input side, pair it with the original 6sp driveshaft, and you're good to go.

With the redline of 8K on that flash, you can go much farther between shifts than one is used to with a US motor, but top speed will still be limited, and somewhat dependent on overall tire diameter too of course. Many people might actually just get by with the 5 speed, but it depends on how often you break the law on the road, or go to long tracks.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Euro LTW View Post
    Best to let people know that the 3.91 is paired with the 6 speed as well. Gets a little buzzy without the .83 gear for highway use.

The 3.91 LSD as delivered from the factory can be a very affordable upgrade along with the 6 speed. Just swap flanges on the input side, pair it with the original 6sp driveshaft, and you're good to go.

With the redline of 8K on that flash, you can go much farther between shifts than one is used to with a US motor, but top speed will still be limited, and somewhat dependent on overall tire diameter too of course. Many people might actually just get by with the 5 speed, but it depends on how often you break the law on the road, or go to long tracks.
    I've got the 3.91 with 5 speed and had a few revs to spare at Texas World Speedway, a high speed track - with 18" tires. 17" tires and a 5 speed would run out of revs, though.

Agreed, lose 600 lbs of body weight and the car REALLY flies!! and my motor is stock except for ABL's grp N flash

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Euro LTW View Post
    Oh yeah, it is coupled with a six-speed too. We don't have interstates here so top end is not an issue, But it is nice to cruise at 60ish at ~2500 rpm in 6th.

Not sure, but I think the car is asking for a CF airbox.

Agreed, lose 600 lbs of body weight and the car REALLY flies!! and my motor is stock except for ABL's grp N flash
    I'm guessing the car is ~3100 lbs now... prior to swap, it was 2985. Adding the engine, oil cooler and six speed are likely 100lbs (?). Went from a AA track pipe to a Super Sprint cat delete and cat back.

Looking at the sunroof delete, further steps will be irreversible.

Auto-x'd it on Sunday with four event worn, 16 month old BF Goodrich R1s. Could not get hooked up. Entertaining, but slow.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5

I'll post a pic of the revised setup soon.
    I bought an identical used cooler off ebay from a nascar parts supplier, but it doesn't have any mounting tabs. did yours?

did you mount it with a U-bracket under the cooler or have some mounting tabs welded on?
    hard to tell from your photos. thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast