Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seat occupancy sensor simulators.

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    Well, maybe that's something I will look into sometime. I think a lot of people (the ones that would care about the light, at least) reuse their stock belts for street driving, so it hasn't come up. Maybe I'll l have some time after Homecoming to look into that wiring.
    Thanks!
    Maddog

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Hey Vinci,

I have an E85 Z4 and would be interested in getting a module to try it out on my car.

I figure the Z4 shares enough similarities with the E46 that it should work.

Let me know if I can buy one!

Thanks!

My Cars
    318I

Any still available

Would it be possible to get one of the seat occupancy connectors, or possibly the part number of the connector and a copy of the schematic so that I can build one myself??

Thanks,

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by okstreaker View Post
    Would it be possible to get one of the seat occupancy connectors, or possibly the part number of the connector and a copy of the schematic so that I can build one myself??

Thanks,
    No offense but just get the unit from Vinci. It is very well thought out and is a plug and play. You don't have to reinvent the wheel and he charges very little above the cost of parts to put it together.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    2000 740iL, 2001 530
    Vinci,

Will your plug work on a 2000 740?

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JShare View Post
    Vinci,

Will your plug work on a 2000 740?
    When I cross-reference the part number, it comes up as being the same between the Z3 and the E38 740i, 740iL, and 740iLP. In theory, it should then work in a 740. I don't have a 740 to test one on, so I cannot guarantee it, of course.

If you'd like to give it a shot, I have one built and packed that someone else didn't pay me for and can have it in Monday's mail.

My Cars
    M5
    fixed
    Last edited by boylunching; 03-07-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    There is probably a post count restriction on using the PM function. I have emailed you.

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    Hey Derek (Vinci) ever think about how to do the Seat Belt Tensioner delete plug in? .... hehe. yer, i still have a light. come on help a brother out. and i'm sure there are those that are running harnesses that would want this.
    Maddog

My Cars
    99 m coupe, 88 M5
    Do you guys happen to know what weight is needed to trigger the sensor. I would like to be able to take my small kids for a ride once and a while but fear of the airbag deploying keeps me from driving them. This really reduces the amount I can drive the car. Anyway to disable the the air bags on the pass side only without getting the light all the time. Daddy needs to drive some more.

Great little fix BTW.

JMC
    Motor: Hurtig/AA custom 2.0l TS OBD2 AA tuned 444whp/384wtq SAE 470whp/400wtq STD
    Exhaust RMS headers, Maximum PSI custom exhaust, magnaflow mufflers
    Driveline E46 M3 6 SPEED, 2.93 LSD, Rouge SSK/tranny mounts, UUC Ultrasmooth /LTW steel flywheel. CDV delete, UUC clutch pedal bushings with GSP pedal
    COOLING: Stewart WP, 78* thermostat, S54 radiator, Euro/S54 oil cooler, ES TS oil cooler adapter, M3 power steering cooler
    HANDLING: MR M CAR SF reinforcement, TCK D/A CO 450/500, TCK Camber Plates, Rogue RSM, Ireland SFB, Dinan STB. CCW classics, polished lip, brushed centers. P295/30/18 P245/35/18.
    THE SHOW: Stygar Z8 Nozzels, Leather Z armrest, Z8 push button start, chrome door handles, OEM FOGS, BMW Traffic Pro.
    Monitoring: PLX Wideband, VDO vision boost/VAC both with custom chrome trim ring.
    COMING SOON: custom intake

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MC28REPSOL View Post
    Hey Derek (Vinci) ever think about how to do the Seat Belt Tensioner delete plug in? .... hehe. yer, i still have a light. come on help a brother out. and i'm sure there are those that are running harnesses that would want this.
    I don't know what would be required to fool that sensor. Tensioners are also kind of expensive and filled with combustibles, so I am not likely to be playing with mine. If someone figures out the requirements, I'll be happy to build them, but there is no way I could recover the "R&D costs" of trying to figure that out for a couple people.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Do you guys happen to know what weight is needed to trigger the sensor. I would like to be able to take my small kids for a ride once and a while but fear of the airbag deploying keeps me from driving them. This really reduces the amount I can drive the car. Anyway to disable the the air bags on the pass side only without getting the light all the time. Daddy needs to drive some more.

Great little fix BTW.

JMC
    If you have a Peake SRS tool, you can just unplug the occupancy sensor when you've got one of the kids with you. That will turn on the airbag light, but I am under the impression that that disables the passenger airbag. When you're done, you could just plug the sensor back in and clear the light (~30 seconds). The sensor plug is easy to reach if you move the passenger seat forward a little. I have done it once or twice.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    I don't know what would be required to fool that sensor. Tensioners are also kind of expensive and filled with combustibles, so I am not likely to be playing with mine. If someone figures out the requirements, I'll be happy to build them, but there is no way I could recover the "R&D costs" of trying to figure that out for a couple people.

If you have a Peake SRS tool, you can just unplug the occupancy sensor when you've got one of the kids with you. That will turn on the airbag light, but I am under the impression that that disables the passenger airbag. When you're done, you could just plug the sensor back in and clear the light (~30 seconds). The sensor plug is easy to reach if you move the passenger seat forward a little. I have done it once or twice.
    Islands62 has a post about which fuse to pull to disable the SRS system. That's what I do.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    99 m coupe, 88 M5
    thanks guys.

JMC
    Motor: Hurtig/AA custom 2.0l TS OBD2 AA tuned 444whp/384wtq SAE 470whp/400wtq STD
    Exhaust RMS headers, Maximum PSI custom exhaust, magnaflow mufflers
    Driveline E46 M3 6 SPEED, 2.93 LSD, Rouge SSK/tranny mounts, UUC Ultrasmooth /LTW steel flywheel. CDV delete, UUC clutch pedal bushings with GSP pedal
    COOLING: Stewart WP, 78* thermostat, S54 radiator, Euro/S54 oil cooler, ES TS oil cooler adapter, M3 power steering cooler
    HANDLING: MR M CAR SF reinforcement, TCK D/A CO 450/500, TCK Camber Plates, Rogue RSM, Ireland SFB, Dinan STB. CCW classics, polished lip, brushed centers. P295/30/18 P245/35/18.
    THE SHOW: Stygar Z8 Nozzels, Leather Z armrest, Z8 push button start, chrome door handles, OEM FOGS, BMW Traffic Pro.
    Monitoring: PLX Wideband, VDO vision boost/VAC both with custom chrome trim ring.
    COMING SOON: custom intake

My Cars
    99 528iT
    I'd like to be added to the list of people to receive the next batch of sensor simulators please...
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Anymore simulators being made? I'm in need...
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I don't have any lying around, but I can build you one. PM me if you'd like one.

My Cars
    z3 02' 3.0i coupe, 99M3
    I did the weigth check on the pad, as I just did seats in the coupe.
    Here is what I found
    the pad in the seat is 1.5 meg ohms with no occupant
    with me in the seat 9K ohms (Im about 185lb)

I tried sevaral different circuits (as I had a SRS tool for rests).
    1.) I tried the one vince uses (2) 100K ohm resistors with the diode
    the light is indeed out

2.) I tried one with a 10k ohm and diode so it would think I was in the seat
    no light so "it worked"

3.) I tried one with a 1.5 meg ohm and diode.
    Light was out so "it worked"

The question really is what would happen IF???
    Would the bag deploy?
    Would it NOT deploy since the pass seat belt is not done (no passenger).
    If the seat belt is in (passenger) would it deploy?

Really what no one seems to know 100% is the complete circuit and operation of the system. i.e. with simulator, belt, and no belt. What is the function.

personally I went with the 10k ohm and diode to simulate a person in the seat.
    Based on my measurements of the pad in my seat.
    Also I imagine that since the belt would not be in if no passenger occupant the bag would not deploy.

Note: When measuring the seat I found no directional characteristics, such as a diode.
    The circuit for me would not work with out the diode (i.e. just resistors).

This is just information I found with regard to my car and for my personal use.

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Very helpful Bill, thanks!

I tried a potentiometer dialed into 200k ohms with no diode this afternoon and no worky...I might just grab a 1N4001 and use another potentiometer dialed into 10k ohms. My problem is not having an SRS reset handy.
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    z3 02' 3.0i coupe, 99M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Very helpful Bill, thanks!

I tried a potentiometer dialed into 200k ohms with no diode this afternoon and no worky...I might just grab a 1N4001 and use another potentiometer dialed into 10k ohms. My problem is not having an SRS reset handy.

In my car the light went out when the correct circuit was used.
    i.e. once it saw the "occupancy sensor" the system turned the light off.

That said the system still had the code in it, and yes it was the seat oppupancy sensor.

Also note: The table the scanner wanted did not exist in the manual. I used table 04. The code was correct.

My Cars
    bmw 318ti

Availability,price

I'll cross that bridge when/if I have something that works. I am only making a handful and I am not looking to do more than recover my time and investment, so they will probably be pretty cheap.

Hi Are you still making this DIY piece? If so how much please?
    Thanks
    Neil

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Yes, I am still making them as they are requested. The price is $20. Again, I cannot guarantee that they work in anything outside of a Z3, as I do not have anything else to test them in.

My Cars
    '07 Z4 M Coupe
    Vinci,

Have you made one of these for a E86 Z4 M that's been successful ?

Thanks,

B

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    somehow i completely missed this. wow

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
    Vinci,

Have you made one of these for a E86 Z4 M that's been successful ?

Thanks,

B
    No, I haven't. I don't have a Z4 to build one with. If the Z4 uses the same connector and you can determine the resistance requirements (assuming it functions similarly to the Z3 sensor mat), I could try to build one for you.

My Cars
    M coupe
    I need something like this for my '06 Mini Cooper. I replaced the regular stock seats with leather sport seats from an '05 and they don't have the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. The "passenger airbag off" light is always on. We always wear our seatbelts, and I want the passenger airbag to "fire" if we need it. If I could simulate the sensor, the system will work fine.

I understand the schematic posted here except my system has 3 wires and the techs tell me that this sensor communicates with the DME through the computer they use. So.....

Anyone have any ideas of how to simulate a 3 wire occupancy switch?
    '00 Z3 M Coupe, Estoril Blue
    '10 M3 Coupe, Space Gray
    '01 M3 Coupe, Alpine White
    '91 318i Sedan, Red
    '12 X5d, Alpine White
    '14 X1 3.5, Alpine White

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast