Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 95 M3, need recommendation for CD head unit--and should I keep Nokia speakers?

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX

95 M3, need recommendation for CD head unit--and should I keep Nokia speakers?

Hi,

I am "renovating" my 95M3, build date 11/95. I'd like to put a CD player in it as well as consider upgrading the speakers, althought this is not totally necessary.

I'd like a good to great sounding system with XM or Sirius compatibility, but of course without spending an arm and a leg.

Any recommendations?

Also, what can one do for controlled bass (no street battles planned) without doing big boxes, etc? bazooka tube or any other choices?

Ham

My Cars
    M3
    I have a 95 M3 as well, and just finished getting my system together yesterday! As for your question about a CD deck, I have a Nakamichi CD45z. I chose it because it looks as though it belongs in the car and for its great audio quality, and I'm very happy with it. If I had to do it all over though, I might go with one from Alpine. Check out their website and see which models fit your price range. Some of them have lighting that will match the amber in your car, you may want MP3 capability, and I hear great things about this time correction feature on some models.

About the bass....I have some JL infinite baffle woofers (same ones as in the Stealthboxes) mounted under my rear deck. Sound great, take up no usable trunk space, and they have plenty of thump for me. Do a search on here for Stealthboxes...I'm sure you'd be happy with them if you went that route. Well, hope that helped a bit. Good luck!
    95 Cosmos M3

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750
    i have the pioneer 740 indash mp3 player. it looks, sounds and plays very nicely. if you upgrade the speakers you will definitely want to switch out the factory amp (unless you wire the speakers to run off the radio). as for bass, i have a 1.5cf box with (1) 15" kicker solo in it. the bass is incredible concidering i'm only running 300watts rms to it. the box is right behind the seats so i can still get to my spare. if you go with sub you will definitely need an amp.

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Stealthboxes are the way to go!
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    Thanks, guys!

Any other suggestions?

CincyM3, did you just swap out the stock speakers for the JLs? and do you mean JBL? (I am a little out of it at this point)

ham

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    Not JBL, JL Audio.

And if you do get the Stealthboxes, or any other sub-woofer(s) you're going to have to either replace the stock system amp or add an amplifier for the subs to get them enough power.

Your question is a very common one. If you do some searches you'll see tons of people asking for inexpensive ways to improve the sound of the stock system. A short answer is that for ~$800-1000 you can get a great sounding system, and you'll have a number of chpices to select from regarding components. Two things to remember: the crossovers for the stock speakers are built into the amplifier, and the amplifier puts out a minimum amount of power. So, if you decide to replace the speakers you'll need a new amp.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green
    X-Brace, Eibach Pro Kit/Bilstein Sport, M3 Rear Sway
    BMW Traffic Pro - a/d/s P650.2 & 3.45is - JL Audio Stealthboxes[/size]

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    I did see the JL audio stealth boxes on their web site, and they look very cool. But what do you do for the rear speakers, though, as the stealth boxes go into the factory location?

And yes, I will do some searches--have done lots when I was doing my research for my engine/suspension upgrades (see my thread in forced induction on my AA Turbo)
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=101333

--but I am so out of the loop on the car audio thing at this point I really need some "professional" direction from uninterested parties. I saw the Crutchfield catalogue and wandered through some car audio stores and was thoroughly confused.

So, any further info would be appreciated, too!

Ham

My Cars
    M3
    Yep, I just swapped out the rear speakers. I still have 2 free channels on my amp, so I'm thinking about either adding some small speakers in the back, or some tweeters in the front A-pillars. I dunno, just mess around and see how things sound I guess...
    95 Cosmos M3

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750
    Originally posted by hukalaki
    But what do you do for the rear speakers, though, as the stealth boxes go into the factory location?

people say that having quality speakers in the front of your car is all you need. so having the stealthboxes in the rear deck will be fine.

then there are others (myself included) that feel having a rear fill is good, so having a sub in the trunk is necessary.

if saving space in the trunk is an issue and you don't want to remove the rear deck speakers then there is a member under the car audio section that makes an enclosure that will fit nicely in the right or left "rear" corner of your trunk.

riz

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    What about the problem with the "tight" bmw trunk?

Several members have commented that the trunks don't allow the sub to penetrate very well.

I do agree, I think, about the fill. I definitely balance the fader to get a nice ambience in the cabin, so I'm a little hesitant to totally give up the rears.

Can you do stealthboxes and speakers--I guess only with cutting holes in the deck?

Ham

My Cars
    2002 530i
    I replaced my stock 1998 M3 HU with an alpine 9805 Cd Player. Easy install and fitment is 100%. Looks great too!
    1986 325es - Sold
    1998 M3/4 - Sold
    1986 528e - Sold
    1998 528i - Sold
    2002 530i- Sold
    1991 Mercedes 300CE - Driving
    2003 911 C4S - Driving

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750
    after my system was installed (included a single 15" sub in the trunk), i didn't notice any difference in the bass when i had the back seat up or down. i've read about many people not getting any bass into the cabin of their cars, but i'm only assuming it's because they are using small subs. i was concerned about this when doing my install so i told myself i would just put the seats down. i was very happy when i didn't have to.

i'm using (1) 15" kicker solobaric (round one) in a 1.5cube box. ALL of the bass gets into the car.

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    Riz, how big is the cube in real terms in the trunk--meaning how much room does it take up? can you post a pic? and is the box a standard issue item or did you have it made?

What are you driving it with, and does it "rock" your neighbor's car?

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750
    i'm not sure of the "in trunk" space being taken up (my friend designed and built the box so i would have to ask him). the box was built with a small lip on the top, front portion. it grabs the bottom of the deck and holds the box perfectly in place (we secured it just in case). i can still get to my spare tire.

i'm using Memphis Amps for my entire system. for my sub i have a Memphis 1000d. it's an incredible amp. very small and efficiant. my sub is a 4ohm single v/c so i'm only running 300w rms to it. i'm actually looking to get a 2ohm sub (amp will put out 600w) or and 2ohm dual v/c sub (amp will put out 1100w @ 1ohm). the bass in the car is very, very good and i've had many compliments on it (even though i'm underpowering the sub), but the external bass isn't going to set off alarms or shake your nuts if you standing near by (at least not until i change the sub to get more power from the amp). lol

i will take pictures of my setup when i get home.

riz

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i
    IN terms of rear fill, you don't need it to start with. If you get a good component set it will be a year before you eve worry about rear fill (and rear fill is only that, fill you don't need to put high end stuff in the back and you shouldn't turn them up much at all they are only there to add ambiance and slightly imrpove imaging and depth). For bass the best way to get the bass signal to travel through the car better is to cut out the ski hole so the bass flows into the car better. When I used to have 3 10's with only 400 watts I noticed a big increase in bass response with the ski hole removed, but in my current setup it makes little difference since I putting down closer to 1000 watts but I am still happy to have that hole cut out. Go with Alpine for head units, they make a lot of great head units that really offer a lot of features and flexibility.
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/bmw328iproject

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750
    lunchtime pics of my trunk setup (it's good to live 1 mile from work )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by riz75; 06-02-2003 at 11:44 AM.

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750

i have to trim the plastic cover for the lights so it will fit over the wiring and hide things better

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750

My Cars
    95' m3; 02' gsxr750
    last one

this is the lip i was talking about. it's on the front of the box and grabs the rear deck nicely

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    Riz,

That is a sweet install! Thanks for posting the pix!

For me, I think I'll need to retain the fold down seats and pass through, as I sometimes have to get lumber or other long things from the store. So I'll need to go with a different solution--but I bet it sounds awesome!

I am starting to feel a lot more confident about the Alpine units. There have been several good recommendations re these.

Q: Does the 9805 have amber lighting to match the car?

And how about the Nak? Those have a great rep too. I just would like to have a "factory" look if the sound and function is comparable.

Ham