Thread: How to clean/polish very soft red paint? Please chime in

My Cars
    '93 850ci

How to clean/polish very soft red paint? Please chime in

I recently posted a similar thread on the Bimmer Car Detailer's Forum and received some interesting and useful info, but thought I'd post here as well to try to find out if the dedicated 8-series community has any advice/guidance.

Here's my dilemma:

In my 10 years of owning my '93 850ci, I've tried numerous polishes/cleaners/waxes, etc. to try to bring out best in my bright red (zinnebar red in BMW-speak) beast. Unfortunately, as I've learned, most of these products like to remove the paint - the paint is very, very soft. Over time, the car has developed some light swirling/light scratches that I'd really like to remove (but w/o taking off the paint as well).

The best I'm able to do is hand wash regularly and carefully (using meg's gold class wash - I like it) and then apply Zymol wax 1 or 2 x per yr by hand only (yes, the real Zymol, not that fake stuff). The car looks pretty good, but could/should look much, much better imo - if I knew what to use to improve my results.

Any suggestions/recommendations from this group would be greatly appreciated as I'm afraid to use anything else for fear of taking off more paint. If you've successfully dealt w/ this issue, please don't keep your solution a secret.

TIA

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    one word: ZAINO.
    It is not cheap and the "process" will take you all weekend if you want it done right. www.zainostore.com

Works wonders!
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Yup, polymer-based Zaino is the best out there. Everyone will tell you this or that is better. The funny thing is, none of these so-called experts making these comments actually tried Zaino. Try it and you will tell everybody & their mothers that Zaino is the king.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1994 BMW 840 (Sold)
    Zaino, brother. If you check some of Koizumi's post with pics, you'll definately see the deal.

My Cars
    '93 850ci
    Forgive the "noob"-like question, but - can Zaino be effective if applied by hand or does one have to use a PC to get results?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    By hand works best
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '93 850ci
    thx for clarifying - applying by hand is the way I'd prefer to go....I'll look into Zaino products a little further, but from what I've read about Zaino so far, it does seem to me like a major PITA to go thru the whole "process" - are there any acceptable "short-cuts" using Zaino stuff (as I can't dedeicate entire weekends to using this stuff).

Besides Zaino, anyone else use some other products with success on "soft" paint?

My Cars
    911 + E31
    It's not a pain in the ass. The first time you apply it, you need to prep your paint. This means that you need to clay bar your car. Then you apply multiple coats of Z-5 and Z-2 using ZFX accelerator. Only the first time you apply Zaino, you need to do these multiple coats. After that, you're home free. You just wash your car, then you mist it with Z-6 and wipe (not buff) off. Very easy to maintain.

For soft paint, you will need to use a polymer-based system not a wax system. Your option is pretty much only Zaino. And you're lucky since it is the best out there.

Notice that there is a shine reflection on the dull green garage door! That's how insanely deep the shine is from Zaino.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Awesome!

My Cars
    '93 850ci
    which, Zaino or Koizumi's car (LOL)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 840 (Sold)
    Both

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6

Dammit!!!

Sheesh of all times i just bought some 3M profesional compound and polish cost me about $30 for both. Whats a complete zaino kit cost?

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    soft paint=new paint job! problem solved!! I have been "nursing" my glacier with a power buffer over an issue with soft paint.

My Cars
    '93 850ci
    Thx for the suggestion, but a new paint job is not in the cards....must make do with what I've got.

My Cars
    95 740, 97 840, 98 528
    I bought the Zaino kit at Bimmerfest ... bucket, cloths and all ... new duster...
    spent $160.

Yo,
    Rod