Thread: just when you though it's over. another fan delete question

My Cars
    see sig

just when you thought it's over. another fan delete question

I removed the fan and replaced the fan swith with an 80/88c.

do I need to replace the oem 88c thermostat with an 80c?

the factory dummy gauge seems to stay put in the middle.

I'm waiting for an aluminum housing so I can install a real gauge.
    Last edited by fast4d; 05-28-2003 at 02:16 AM.
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    You should replace the existing thermostat with a 80c.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Coolant sensor?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    see sig
    Originally posted by badmonkey
    Coolant sensor?
    nice!

what size/pitch tap?
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    1/8 NPT. The top of the t-stat housing is quite thick, maybe 3/16? Engaged all but the last couple of threads.

Pic is of the threaded hole, flash washed out the threads...

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    I recommend adding a SPAL fan. to this mod.

here u can see more detail here.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=71676
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    95 M3
    Hey M3Jokster, great fan setup. Did you just wire it in parallel with the stock electric fan?

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    yea....when ever the electric fan kicks in...the spal fan turns on....it runs on it's own relay and fuse.
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    95 M3
    cool. I just did the FDK too, as well as UUC pullies. that seems like good insurance to keep temps down.

My Cars
    '95 BMW M3-V8, '04 Ram D
    M#Jokster..I don't want to rag on your setup, but you have blocked a TON of airflow through that radiator with that bracketry. What are your actual temps that you see?
    Also, why not use the electric fan straps that go through the radiator fins. Just curious, let me know!

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    Actually this is not finished yet...it's the prototype...i will be removing the edges out...when i have time...i just wanted to place it in my car...since it was almost 4 months since i have drove my car.

the reason why i did not want to do the fan strip was bc the spal fan will actually sit on the radiator...and with that, it will only draw air through that one area in the radiator...the setup that i have, the space betweent the radiator and the spal fan is about 1/4" +/- so there will be air coming from all parts of the radiator, that's with the aid of the radiator cover.

also the fan strap to mean seems very flimsly (sp?)

actually my oil temperature through stop and go traffic is around 180-185. the air flow is tremendous once the spal fan kicks in. i can feel the air coming from underneath the car...when i open the door.

My Cars
    '95 BMW M3-V8, '04 Ram D
    Gotcha! If you have the fan pushed off the face of the radiator by a bit, that is great. Another suggestion would be to use a stiffer metal for the bracketry (aluminum) and drill that sucker out with a bunch of 1" or 2" holes. This would allow more airflow and look really cool ;->

Don't discount the airflow that happens naturally as the car moves. Most race teams don't use any fans at all in the car. I run the Aux fan setup with my delete mod and the car never really gets hot (though I haven't installed my real temp guage yet.....)

random notes: today with 100F outside temps, I had water and oil temps of 230F. That's with 80C thermostat, no engine fan, just the stock front aux fan, A/C on.

At this temp there was ZERO movement on the stock water temp gauge.
    hey lazybones: whatever you're asking, the answer is already in the archives.

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    today, w/ 85F outside temp,

Fan Delete MOD w/ Spal fan.

My stock temp gauge stayed dead center and my oil temp stayed below 190F w/ the A/C crank on max..during traffic (stop and go traffic) w/ 4 people in the car.

My Cars
    2011 e90 M3, 2005 Elise
    erik, actually tests I've done with a should show that the fan actually flows more air through the radiator with a shrould than without. drilling it would hurt. The problem that M3Jokster's setup has is that the fan is too close to the radiator. I tried a similar setup, but you need at least a little bit of funnel to get the air flowing really well.

My Cars
    '95 BMW M3-V8, '04 Ram D
    Kit I don't think his setup really qualifies as a shroud. Shrouds generally protrude from the outside rim of the radiator and direct air at a mechanical fan, helping to eliminate "wash". His design basically blocks airflow through a large portion of the radiator. Will be interesting to see how it works