Thread: Help Major Grinding Sound!!!

My Cars
    A lot

Help Major Grinding Sound!!!

Regarding 1996 328is with 140k miles.

It started yesterday that my car started making a major grinding sound. I don't remember hearing any grinding sound before but now it is very obvious. The sound is coming from the back of the car, and I am fearing that it is the differential. Can someone let me know what this might be. By the way if it is the differential, how much is a diff? Would appreciate any help.

My Cars
    ???
    First off, get underneath the car while its running (with the E-Brake up!!!) and listen for the noise, then let us know where you are sure its coming from... Also check the differential for leaks, maybe you have lost a lot of diff. fluid and the gears are grinding?

My Cars
    BMW 323IS, 2004 X3 3.0i
    Sounds like your rear wheel bearings are going out. Mine just did like 2 months ago but I rode on a bad wheel bearing for that long until I got it fixed this past weekend. Dont wait too long to get it fixed. I waited so long the bearing fused to the metal and the had to use a blowtorch to help get it off. A wheel bearing cost about $50 from bimmerparts.com and labor for me was about $200 to do it.

[/b]

My Cars
    A lot
    Did you fix it yourself?

My Cars
    BMW 323IS, 2004 X3 3.0i
    luckily ny uncle knows a guy who owns his own shop. So i paid $250 total for parts and labor. Another shop quoted me $270 for labor alone and the part is about $50

[/b]