Thread: Radio shuts off after 1 minute

My Cars
    01 740il sport

Radio shuts off after 1 minute

Just got my 01 740il today. For some reason the radio will play for about 1 minute and then turn off. Anyone had this problem. I live in Tx the car shipped from Fl. When the transporter unloaded the car the battery was dead. He jumped started it with a jump box, the car has started fine since.I have widescreen nav. Any help will be appreciated. Love the car!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Sounds like your Nav unit is dead. If power was pulled before the red LED goes out on the Nav (especially a MKIII, like I think your 2001 7 probably has), it is known to go belly up. Once the Nav dies, the radio plays for a minute or so, then stops. Turn the key off, then back on, and you'll get your radio back for a minute. I think that even works if you just turn the radio off & back on (I think). Best way to test is put a known good Nav in & test (you know anyone in your area that will let you test their Nav, or you put your Nav in their car?).

BTW - if you have a 16x9 screen up front, chances are you have a MKIII Nav. If it's the 4x3 screen, most likely you have a MKII.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    01 740il sport
    If it is a nav failure, I might as well upgrade to the MKIV. What a way to start. How could I have prevented this? Also, no nav disk came with the car. So there has never been a disk in the unit since I've owned the car. Does this make a difference?
    Last edited by willmad; 06-06-2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: forgot to add more info

My Cars
    01 740il sport
    bimmer nav is in austin. I will give them a call tomorrow.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    MKIV is a great way to go. I got my 16x9 & TV tuner thru bimmernav.com. Martin is a great guy. Not having a Nav disc would not have anything to do with your radio shutting off after a minute.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    Bmw 740i

same problem

my radio also plays for a min. then stops. in addition to that, my display stopped working at the same time that the radio started acting up. Can that also be caused by the navigation unit in the back? I even unplugged the nav unit to see would the radio continue to play but it doesn't. could it possibly be the amp?

My Cars
    '00 750IL 03/99,98 Honda F4
    Are you having battery problems also? My radio was doing all kinds of weird stuff before I changed the battery. So check the battery. My nav screen was blacked out every so often and nothing worked. After a being on a bit, then turning it off and restarting, the radio would work. If that doesn't seem familiar it could be something else.

good luck,
    -AJ

My Cars
    Bmw 740i
    thats exactly what its doing. but I'm not having a problem with my battery. However I did leave my trunk open and it started raining unexpectantly. some moisture got in my trunk and the next day is when i started having problems.

My Cars
    2000 740i
    has anyone solved this issue?

i was informed that it could be the DSP amplifier needing to be recoded. moreover, the nav is needed to have it coded.

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2009 330i
    Try this out first: Often times when cars are transported this feature is turned on. It's called "transport mode" and does what you are describing. You may need an OBDII in order to change it though.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609471