Thread: Regarding a Brembo brake upgrade

My Cars
    '00 328Ci

Regarding a Brembo brake upgrade

Im looking to install a 14" Brembo caliper/rotor to my fronts on my 328Ci... but i was wondering if i could replace my stock BMW rear caliper/rotor with the stock fronts... is this possible? Can i rotate the original front rotor and make it fit in the rear??

Vic
    Vic328CSi

$50k BMW
    $8k in mods
    Repairs, priceless

My Cars
    What year 328?

My Cars
    '00 328Ci
    its a 2000 (e46)
    Vic328CSi

$50k BMW
    $8k in mods
    Repairs, priceless

My Cars
    2011 335
    I don't think 14" rotors/calipers will fit if you have stock 17" wheels.
    ---------------
    "The beating will continue until morale improves."

My Cars
    330Ci
    No they wont fit and you cant swap the fronts to the rear. I'm still wondering if I can get the 14" kit to fit my M72 rims, not like I have the $$$$.$$ though.:
    -RickNbauker-
    330CiManual
    •MODS•
    • Sport Package • 18" V-Spokes • Dinan CAI • Dinan Trottle Body • Dinan Stage 3 Software • Dinan Carbon Fiber Engine Covers • Dinan Strut Tower Brace • NX Direct Port Nitrous Injection •

-My Fav. website
    -and another

My Cars
    E30 M3
    No, the fronts will not fit on the rear. Why do you want a BBK? Are you tracking your car and experiencing fade? I'm guessing the answer to that question is no.

What wheels do you have and what size?

That 14" BBK is out of the question with stock wheels. Instead of wasting money on something you will never use why don't you upgrade to 330 brakes? You can normally find people that have upgraded to BBKs selling their 330 brakes. You will need the:

rotors, pads (I'd buy some new ones), calipers, carriers

If you want a BBK kit because they look cool might i suggest buying someone's 330 brakes then sending the calipers out to be powder coated? That should cost $250 for all 4.

Besides going with a 14"BBK front and having your stock rears will throw of the bias terribly and if you don't understand how important brake bias can be during handling maybe you should read this:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...37602262&itm=1
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    OWN3D: Preppyaznboy, B, bimmerchop, gmhl10, m3some, biggalicious, CyberEye, Mugen92GS-R, Nimble, INFERNO2K, 813813

CEREBELLUM'D: Lil' IS 300, NYQUEENZ, kyu79, Yamota˛
    - Paul Rosche > You. -
    www.ubertechnik.com

My Cars
    E30 M3
    By the way, what is a 328CSI?
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    OWN3D: Preppyaznboy, B, bimmerchop, gmhl10, m3some, biggalicious, CyberEye, Mugen92GS-R, Nimble, INFERNO2K, 813813

- Paul Rosche > You. -
    www.ubertechnik.com

My Cars
    2008 M5
    if you get the Roundel, read the article in the May issue about BBKs. that should clear things up for you.
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    2011 335
    The stock 330 calipers/carrier will bolt on to a 328 with no mod for both front and rear?
    ---------------

My Cars
    E30 M3
    323/325 as well. Let me find the thread about this. . . .

- Paul Rosche > You. -
    www.ubertechnik.com

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, Isetta 300
    330 brakes will not bolt directly up front and rear. 330 front brakes will bolt directly up to any E36 or E46 non-M. Same with E46 323, 325 or 328 rears (E46 325 and 328 brakes are identical front and rear, the 323 uses the same calipers, but different carriers and smaller rotors).

The biggest setup would be 330 fronts and 325/328 rears. The 330 uses a different rear trailing arm, and the brakes are not interchangeable. You can go to M brakes, but you will have to swap the front kingpin, and rear trailing arms.

I am running 330 fronts and 325/328 rears on my E36 318is. There is no fiment issues, and the e-brake still works.
    EX-NASA SpecE30 Racer---NASA Florida Certified Instructor

My Cars
    330Ci
    Originally posted by OPTIMO
    Besides going with a 14"BBK front and having your stock rears will throw of the bias terribly and if you don't understand how important brake bias can be during handling maybe you should read this:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...37602262&itm=1
    Not true. The rear brakes of an E46 are hardly put to their full potential, that’s why Brembo doesn't have a rear upgrade for E46s.
    -RickNbauker-
    330CiManual
    •MODS•
    • Sport Package • 18" V-Spokes • Dinan CAI • Dinan Trottle Body • Dinan Stage 3 Software • Dinan Carbon Fiber Engine Covers • Dinan Strut Tower Brace • NX Direct Port Nitrous Injection •

-My Fav. website
    -and another

My Cars
    '00 328Ci
    I realise that i need atleast 18" wheels for the 14" Brembo fronts. Its too bad I cant swap out the rears, I guess I will just let it be then. Interesting points...perhaps the 12.6" is a better choice.

As for what a 328CSi is...

C-Coupe
    S-Sports, but in my case Supercharged
    i-fuel injected

In about 2 days, fedex will bring me my ESS kit.
    Vic328CSi

$50k BMW
    $8k in mods
    Repairs, priceless

My Cars
    Bmw 325i 2001
    Nope they wont....I tried on my 325i

My Cars
    2011 335
    Originally posted by Lotek
    Not true. The rear brakes of an E46 are hardly put to their full potential, that’s why Brembo doesn't have a rear upgrade for E46s.
    the brake set up is very balanced. The wear on the front and rear pads/rotors are very even.
    ---------------

My Cars
    330Ci
    Originally posted by e46driver
    the brake set up is very balanced. The wear on the front and rear pads/rotors are very even.
    Yes but I said "The rear brakes of an E46 are hardly put to their full potential" I said nothing directed towards wear.
    -RickNbauker-
    330CiManual
    •MODS•

-My Fav. website
    -and another

My Cars
    2011 335
    Originally posted by Lotek
    Yes but I said "The rear brakes of an E46 are hardly put to their full potential" I said nothing directed towards wear.
    i think if you are talking about potential you should talk about wear. I donno I guess to me the rear brakes is working just as hard as the front. To me, not put to their full potential suggests less wear.
    ---------------

My Cars
    E30 M3
    Wear and potential is not what I'm talking about.

What I am saying is that when you apply a given force on the brake pedal and your front brakes are stopping the car at X feet/second and the rears are stopping the car at x-15 feet/second you are losing serious time plus you are destroying the handling of your car. Braking isn't just for slowing the car down.

One way to combat this would be to have two master cylinders, one front, one rear and adjust the bias the that less pressure goes to the front to compensate for the rear.

Look at your rear calipers then look at the 4/6 piston design in most of the BBKs. There is no way they can apply even similar stopping power to that part of the car.

I think oem brakes are fine for most people, but if you are going to do a bkk, do it right.

I didn't know that 330 rears won't fit. I have a 323 cabrio and I plan on finding some 330 fronts and 328 rears I guess.

- Paul Rosche > You. -
    www.ubertechnik.com