Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Set-Up ok for Paint Correction......

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i

Set-Up ok for Paint Correction......

Ok, well I just got a rotary, and I am just making sure that I have the right products with the right pads for paint correction.......note these are LCC pads......

Menzerna Power Gloss Compound (Yellow Pad or Purple Wool Pad?)
    Menzerna SIP (Orange Pad?)
    Menzerna 106FF (White Pad or Black Pad?)

Then for protection

CG Ez-Creme Glaze
    Klasse HGS
    Poorboys Red Paste Wax......

This set-up just isn't for my car, I plan on doing other cars and trying to get the word around.

Suggestions?

-Kyle

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    97 M3, 80 320i, 07 328it
    Sounds like a good plan. With a rotary you will be fine with SIP on orange and 106 on white. I've never had to use powergloss so I'll leave that for someone else to chime in on.

If I were you I might look into different sealants. Klasse is not the easiest to apply - and to get the most out of it you need multiple layers at 12 hours+ per layer. I would recommend wolfgang or poorboys.
    1997 M3 | 1980 320i | 2007 328it

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    I can chime in on the Klasse HGS, its a PITA for me to apply and take it off........

Anyone suggest some good sealants, Jetseal109??

My Cars
    Looking......
    I would say yes to Jetseal. i am about to pick some up myself. If it is good enough for Fminus to use, it is good enough for me.

I am excited to see what you think about the rotary.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    JetSeal is a very nice product, I even use it on boats (although, that gets expensive). Jeff's Werkstat Prime + Acrylic Jett Trigger works well on lighter colors.

If you're going to do this for others, you will need to invest in multiple variations of pad densities. To make sure I'm always prepared for any situation, I have the following in my collection:

Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool
    Lake Country Yellow
    Lake Country Orange
    Lake Country White
    Lake Country Black
    Lake Country Blue

Basically everything except green, and red, I think...

Discontinued Sonus Yellow
    Discontinued Sonus White
    Discontinued Sonus Blue

Megs Compounding Pad (burgundy)
    Megs Polishing Pad (yellow)

Have you used an orbital before? That's where I (along with the many others) started, before picking up a rotary. Read as much as you can, watch as many dvds, videos etc as possible, and remember to respect it! The learning curve won't be too bad, just be careful.
    1997 M3
    Arctic Silver
    SSK/K&N/Exhaust/Racing Dynamics Strut BraceEuros/Carbon Emblems/M68/Tint

My Cars
    Looking......
    OP's gotten good with the PC but as we all know, to get things done faster and get 100% correction, we realize the rotary is the only choice we have

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    I have a PC right now, and the results are ok (I did my car, my mom's and my sister's)
    Right now I have
    LCC Orange 5.5"
    LCC White 6.5"
    LCC Black 6.5"
    LCC Blue 6.5"

I was going to pick up some purple wool pads and yellow in case I come across some severe situations.......

I am going to do my dad's E90 for father's day. Since it is fairly new, I was going to start out with a white pad, and 106FF. I was going to do a test section, and if I need, I was going to upgrade to SIP and orange.........

I've watched numerous videos and I believe I know what I am going to do

Thanks for your comments!

Any others?

My Cars
    Looking......
    i would not advise to do a new car for your first car!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotunerwerks View Post
    Good point. I bought a a hood off of a DHL van (lol) at the junkyard to practice on. The best $35 investment in a rotary machine
    1997 M3
    Arctic Silver
    SSK/K&N/Exhaust/Racing Dynamics Strut BraceEuros/Carbon Emblems/M68/Tint

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotunerwerks View Post
    ahah, alright. I'll do my car hood. It needs to get re-sprayed anyways (Rock chips everywhere)

My Cars
    a few
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y View Post
    ahah, alright. I'll do my car hood. It needs to get re-sprayed anyways (Rock chips everywhere)
    Experimentation on your own car???

That is what my sister has a car for.. so i can experiment

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by 98DakarM3 View Post
    Experimentation on your own car???

That is what my sister has a car for.. so i can experiment
    but all 3 of my sister's cars are newer than mine

2004 Scion tC
    2006 BMW X3
    2007 Mitusbishi Outlander

Mom: 2004 BMW X3
    Dad: 2008 BMW 328xi

My Cars
    a few
    I was just messing around!

I'm sure you've got a friend with a crappy car car would let you practice on it.

My Cars
    02 Vette, 03 Maxima, 04 F150, BMW to come
    There is no cookie cutter process, each car is unique and must test it out to see what the best combo is.

You'll more then likely never need to go with the Power Gloss or the orange and yellow pads with the rotary.

You'll find the SIP and white pad will be you go to combo and follow up with the 106 and a black pad.

Also, if you plan on properly breaking down the polishes on these cars, you'll find a 3 step system with the rotary will take about 15 hours and a two step about 8 hours.

If you do not let the polishes break down then the abrasive particles remain too large to properly "polish" and jewel the surface thus leaving horrible "holograms" and buffer trails behind.

Learning how to use a rotary is not the hard part, it's learning how the polishes work and react in conjunction with each different type of clear coat, rotary speeds, environmental conditions (humidity), etc......

Josh
    "Perfection Is In The Details"

OttmannDetailing.com

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    id honestly say go to a junkyard and get a practise panel. the last thing you want to do is burn paint.

are you using dimpled pads or flat ones, flat pads are a lot easier to enstill holograms with. id highly recommend using the dimpled pads. i know you've been talked into the menzerna polishes but my money's still with 3m.

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmeba View Post
    id honestly say go to a junkyard and get a practise panel. the last thing you want to do is burn paint.

are you using dimpled pads or flat ones, flat pads are a lot easier to enstill holograms with. id highly recommend using the dimpled pads. i know you've been talked into the menzerna polishes but my money's still with 3m.
    all of my LCC pads are the newer version........dimpled

I wasn't really talked into Menzerna Polishes, I have 32oz of SIP and 106FF in my garage. I've used them w/my PC for outstanding results

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y View Post
    all of my LCC pads are the newer version........dimpled

I wasn't really talked into Menzerna Polishes, I have 32oz of SIP and 106FF in my garage. I've used them w/my PC for outstanding results
    yea but the thing you have to remember is that PC polishes and the industrial grade rotary polishes are designed to work in different ways. a lot of the time the heat generated with rotaries will dry out polishes that aren't designed for them. the 3m products I use are amazing when used with my rotary but i'm less than impressed when i use them on a DA. I was actually just at a 3m technical session to watch see a demo on their new line of products and all i can say is wow. they just keep out doing themselves. anyone with a dark colored car needs to use ultrafina. ive been using it on my z4 since it came out and the results are absolutely amazing.

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    links?

My Cars
    08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmeba View Post
    yea but the thing you have to remember is that PC polishes and the industrial grade rotary polishes are designed to work in different ways. a lot of the time the heat generated with rotaries will dry out polishes that aren't designed for them. the 3m products I use are amazing when used with my rotary but i'm less than impressed when i use them on a DA. I was actually just at a 3m technical session to watch see a demo on their new line of products and all i can say is wow. they just keep out doing themselves. anyone with a dark colored car needs to use ultrafina. ive been using it on my z4 since it came out and the results are absolutely amazing.
    What 3M products would you recomend? I currently have a makita rotary that i plan on starting to use. I was looking at ordering menzerna SIP and 106ff, with 3 LCC Orange and 3 white or black pads, that seems to be what most people on here use. What do YOU recommend?

I used a wool pad that came with the rotary and 3M finesse for one spot on my mom's car that had terrible swirls/light scratches and got awesome results.

I do plan on getting a panel to practice too, and my sisters car <_<

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    I'd recommend using their new perfect it system of compounds, polishes, and pads.

The swirl remover (which is the same as finesse it 2) is good for like 90 percent of swirl marks. For the harder to get stuff their new reforumalted compound is amazing. I was at a clinic held by 3m a few days ago and they were demonstrating the new compound. It is chemically abrasive instead of with grit so it works faster and finishes finer. For darker colored cars use ultrafina to finish down to an amazing gloss. I use the black pad for swirl remover (finesse it 2) and the blue pad for ultrafina. i believe the pad for the compound is white, but i'm not positive on that one.