Thread: How to upgrade CD NAV to DVD navigation??

My Cars
    m3 f350

How to upgrade CD NAV to DVD navigation??

Anyone have a good source for the parts and DIY procedeure to take a 2002 e46 m3 CD-based Navigation system and convert it to the newer DVD-based Navigation??
    This is for my '02 PY m3 (will post pics soon) that I purchased yesterday! Love everything about the vehicle, except the Nav system is from the ice-age.

-JA

My Cars
    135i
    Yes, I hate the CD-based navigation. Soooo slow and obsolete. I only wish a Garmin would integrate as beautifully as the OEM one does in the dash.

Upgrading is a simple as buying a MkIV unit, usually from eBay, for about $450-500. It's plug-and-play, IIRC, but honestly, it still won't be nearly as good and customizable as a $300 Garmin.

Congrats on your purchase. Obligatory pics or .
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    05 3er
    We can get you the MKIV here as well if you're interested. Let me know and we can set you up with one!

MKIV Navigation Computer (DVD-ROM) Upgrade

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=942

If you have any questions about the product please feel free to contact me!

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by jurrianT View Post
    We can get you the MKIV here as well if you're interested. Let me know and we can set you up with one!

MKIV Navigation Computer (DVD-ROM) Upgrade

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=942

If you have any questions about the product please feel free to contact me!
    $850?!

Sorry but that just isn't worth it unless you have oodles of money to wast--err, spend.

Not taking a jab at your pricing, as such, just a general commentary about the exorbitant price relative to the sub-par quality of BMW navigation.
    Last edited by ohnoes; 06-04-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    m3 f350
    Wow, very helpful responses so far.

So the unit EAS sells is plug and play, and it is just the OEM piece from a 2003.5+?

What Nav disks will I need to have the 'latest and greatest'.

Ohnoes - thanks for the tip on ebay, what should I search for? And yes I will get pics soon enough I'm stuck at work (trying to pay for this yellow monster).

My Cars
    1998 323is, 1990 nissan 240sx
    okay so to get this straigt, the CD based version is now out dated, and the DVD system is what everyone is going with? With that said, can software or DVD's be cut from the internet as updates are avail?

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by BombSquad323 View Post
    okay so to get this straigt, the CD based version is now out dated, and the DVD system is what everyone is going with? With that said, can software or DVD's be cut from the internet as updates are avail?
    http://www.x5world.com/articles/all-...ystem-faq.html