Thread: Problems starting the car over night - any help !!

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l

Problems starting the car over night - any help !!

Hi All

Having some problems starting the car over night, need to pull chock & pump gas several times and take forever to start.

Things I change:

Alternator, distributor rotor, spark plugs & wires, fuel filters, battery is 1 year old.

I think is the starter or the stock single barrel carburetor or the fuel pump, any help !!
    1997 1.9l auto

for all the info .......... George.....

My Cars
    Jeep cherokee

Same deal...

I had too prime my carb, after the car has set too long. My feeling is fuel pump! I changed mine(the pump was OG), problem solved. Easy to change. Inexpensive.

My Cars
    1974 BMW 2002

Thumbs up

Try a can of Seafoam in the gas tank....fuel lines and carb might be gummed up. Had a similar problem myself and this solved it. Also fantastic improvement using premium gasoline since then, purrs like a kitten now!

My Cars
    1974 BMW 1802 Touring, 1976 BMW 2002
    pretty easy to tell if the fuel pump is working. Loosen the output hose and give it a few cranks to see if there is fuel pumping out. If the starter is cranking over, the starter should be fine. Did you change the timing at all? Have you checked and cleaned out the Carb jets. They get clogged sometimes, just takes a blast of air or a fine wire to clean them. Changing hoses and cleaning the engine could have gotten crap in them. You can find the jets here....http://bmwfans.info/original/114/tou...3/ill-13_0664/ or check out this pic Idling jet #11 and main jet #8 This is a Solex 38, should be similar to the 40.
    STEVE.....1974 BMW 1802 TOURING

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l
    Thanks all for the advice, I will try (fuel pump & I will look for this Seafoam)

The thing is after I start and drive, the car can start over & over, no problem.
    1997 1.9l auto

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l
    Hi Steve

About the starter, when I start cranking the car in the morning, I need to pump the gas & keeping starting so many times that the battery drops almost to 8 volts (in my gauge) after start & drive around I can start again with no problem. Are you sure the starter is OK, I don't no much about mechanic so any advice help.

One more thing, after I pump I can see the fuel filter are full of gas, so that means the fuel pump is OK? (see pic)

Thanks all
    Last edited by jafcorrea; 06-15-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    1997 1.9l auto

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jafcorrea View Post
    Hi Steve

About the starter, when I start cranking the car in the morning, I need to pump the gas & keeping starting so many times that the battery drops almost to 8 volts (in my gauge) after start & drive around I can start again with no problem. Are you sure the starter is OK, I don't no much about mechanic so any advice help.

One more thing, after I pump I can see the fuel filter are full of gas, so that means the fuel pump is OK? (see pic)

Thanks all
    I am far from an expert, but I would focus on your ignition settings. It seems that your fuel situation is OK, unless your choke is not working. I hope you are not flooding it by pumping the gas, which would prolong the starting process. My car (1802, single barrel solex) starts on the first turn without touching the gas pedal. In the AM, I pull the choke all the way out until it fires, then move it back 1/2 way (detent) until warmed up. Unless it has been a cold nite (not often around here) it will fire immediately even without the choke. Did it work fine before you made ignition wiring changes? Are the plugs the same #? Points the same?

Good luck, that is the extent of my unprofessional knowledge.

My Cars
    75 2002; 01 Z3; 09 325i
    Did you by chance put platinum plugs in? I did and I had the same problem. Changed them out and it fixed my problem

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l
    Hi Steve

Sorry but my mechanic expertise does not go that far, I have no idea what you mean about “ignition wiring changes? Are the plugs the same #? Points the same?”

But today I jump-start the car and was easy to start, my be I need a battery?
    1997 1.9l auto

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jafcorrea View Post
    Hi All

Having some problems starting the car over night, need to pull chock & pump gas several times and take forever to start.

Things I change:

Alternator, distributor rotor, spark plugs & wires, fuel filters, battery is 1 year old.

I think is the starter or the stock single barrel carburetor or the fuel pump, any help !!

Hi Steve

Sorry but my mechanic expertise does not go that far, I have no idea what you mean about “ignition wiring changes? Are the plugs the same #? Points the same?”

But today I jump-start the car and was easy to start, my be I need a battery?
    You mentioned that you changed the Alternator, distributor rotor, spark plugs & wires, fuel filters. Did you do that after the starting problems or before??

It could very well be the battery. You can usually have it checked out for free by most places that sell batteries.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SB View Post
    You mentioned that you changed the Alternator, distributor rotor, spark plugs & wires, fuel filters. Did you do that after the starting problems or before??

It could very well be the battery. You can usually have it checked out for free by most places that sell batteries.

I have this problem since I bought the car, so I decided to change a few things to solve this problem. I am going to change the battery & starter, let see what is going to happen.
    1997 1.9l auto

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002 ,86' Audi 4KQ
    I have this same problem, my fuel situation is fine but it just takes so long in the AM to get it going sometimes! Hopefully answers will come up!
    1975 BMW 2002

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l
    Hi all

The problem is the carburetor, i have the stock one (1bbl), any suggestions ??
    1997 1.9l auto

My Cars
    1998 E38 740ia 1975 2002

Rebuild

Try to rebuild the carburator. There are kits for that. It worked when I had my 68 1600.

1998 E38 740ia Arctic Silver & O=00=O 75 e10 2002 (Honolulu)

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9l
    Well it’s the carburetor, planning to change for a 32/36 or 38, but for my car (1970 – 1bbl) I need to change the manifold also, check some place on the web is $500 to $600, I don’t know if is worth it or just by the Weber 1bbl for $160.00.
    1997 1.9l auto

My Cars
    1976 BMW 2002
    hey guys

i'm rebuilding my original soles carb (dual/progressive) that's in my '76 2002. I'm having a hard time figuring out what jets it's supposed to have. I'm assuming the last owner put bigger jets to get more power and I'm having no luck finding out which size jets the primary should have. I would really appreciate your help

Thanks!