Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: What's the widest tire that be put on a 8.5 inch rim?

My Cars
    1980 Firebird

What's the widest tire that be put on a 8.5 inch rim?

I want to know the largest tire I can fit on a Rear DSII. I would be using it for my M Coupe so I just want to know the largest possible tire that can be fit on that 8.5in rim.

Thanks
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    E36
    I would think a 255 would be the widest. I had 245's on my 8.5 Koseis and those were the recommended sizes.

Oh and if you're putting it on the rear of an M coupe, you're going to need a hell of a spacer. Like more than 25mm.

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw325e30 View Post
    I would think a 255 would be the widest. I had 245's on my 8.5 Koseis and those were the recommended sizes.

Oh and if you're putting it on the rear of an M coupe, you're going to need a hell of a spacer. Like more than 25mm.
    I think i would need a 30-35mm spacer cause the offset for my car in the rear is et8 and the offset for the dsII rear is et41.
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by m3chaser View Post
    I think i would need a 30-35mm spacer cause the offset for my car in the rear is et8 and the offset for the dsII rear is et41.
    You may be able to get away with less than that (the stock size in the rear is 17x9 et8, that difference in width may allow you more room). You just have to check your clearance with the strut by trial and error. But I'm going to advise against doing this, sell the DS2's and just get some wheels that fit.

My Cars
    UV RAYS/VITAMIN D stg 3™
    Ive got 255 on my 8.5 LTWs. I wouldnt go wider than that, kinda bulges. Yeah, you are going to need a HUUUGE spacer lol.

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    ok thanks guys. i will probably just sell them to pay for some other roadsters.

Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    driveway.jpg
    Are you asking for fitment purposes or just the widest tire on an 8.5 in general? I know someone who's put 305's on a 7.5" wheel.

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw325e30 View Post
    You may be able to get away with less than that (the stock size in the rear is 17x9 et8, that difference in width may allow you more room). You just have to check your clearance with the strut by trial and error. But I'm going to advise against doing this, sell the DS2's and just get some wheels that fit.
    +1, always the best idea...
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    '03 540i Msport
    255 works no problem - 255 is the largest recommended tire for an 8.5 rim. That being said I had 265's on my zhp rims and they fit fine - didn't bulge - They were Falken's and they tend to run a little narrow.

Really depends on the tire brand you use

My Cars
    E36 318i
    A 255 tyre is 255mm in width which is 10.03937 inches in old money so a 10 inch tyre on a 8.5 inch rim, at the limit

My Cars
    Diesels and a 04 M3
    I have seen a 275 on a 8.5 with ease.

I ran 255/40/17's on my 17x8's for autocross
    I'm a ROLEX wear'N
    Diamond ring wear'N
    KISS steal'n
    WHEELIN DEAL'N
    Limousine RIDE'N
    JET PLANE FLY'N , SON OF A GUN!
    And I'm havin a hard time holdin these alligators down!!!!!!
    WHOOOOOO!!!!!!

My Cars
    350z
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlSpackler View Post
    I have seen a 275 on a 8.5 with ease.

I ran 255/40/17's on my 17x8's for autocross
    just cuz they fit, don't mean it's a good thing. rubber sticking out beyond the rim impairs handling from what I've heard.

I wouldn't go bigger than 255.
    04 350z APS TT 501whp |05 350z 287whp ZOLD! |07 FJ Cruiser

My Cars
    Lots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    just cuz they fit, don't mean it's a good thing. rubber sticking out beyond the rim impairs handling from what I've heard.

I wouldn't go bigger than 255.
    Saw a 275/35-18 on an 18x8 on a 99 Mustang GT. Looked WEIIIRD.

On an 8.5, you're fine with a 255 or 265.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6
    Im running a 245 currently. I have run a 255 without a problem though. And since its the rear. I would run a 255 if you could get away with it without rubbing.
    '94 325is. M52B28 swap, M50 manifold, supersprint exhaust, AA chip, SSK, CAI, H&R sport springs, 3.15LSD (sold)
    '98 540i/6 Little mods here and there.

My Cars
    87 325is,88 325e,RIP M3
    245 on 8.5's and 255 on 9's
    Instructor - NASA MidAtlantic, Chump - Racer

Team Constitutionalists Racing LIFE-LIBERTY-BEER

My Cars
    95 E36 M3,CBR1000rr,
    Ok so I am wanting to do the same keep my DS2's but with some wider tires. What will fit on them on a 95 M3 without fender modification?