Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 535xi - Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

My Cars
    535xi

New 535xi - Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

I have owned a new 2008 535xi for less than 3 weeks (700 miles). 70 miles into a trip over weekend engine began to run very rough and then warning light came on with message 'Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power'. Stopped within 20 secs. Powered off and then back on after few minutes. Engine running very rough again, engine light on and same message so powered straight off. Got car towed to nearest BMW dealership (service closed) through BMW Assist.

I had refueled within 5 miles of breakdown with top grade premium.

Looking for suggestions as to what may have happened and more importantly what questions (I have never had a car breakdown in 20+ years of driving so this is very disappointing since it is my first BMW!) to ask the service tech to ensure problem correctly identified and no lasting damage to engine.

Thanks to anyone who can assist.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    High Pressure Fuel Pump. Take it to the dealer.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Happened to me too. They had to replace the fuel pump.

My Cars
    535xi
    Thanks.

BMW raised a PUMA ticket on the issue and were advised the fuel injectors needed replacing. So far so good.

My Cars
    bmw 535xi

Engine malfunction

I had a similar problem last week. The engine had no power and had to be towed. The dealer replaced High Pressure fuel pump. The car is only 3 months old 535xi.
    Hopefully this is the only problem I have.

My Cars
    BMW 535i 2008
    This just happened to me yesterday. I had to shut off the car wait a minute and then restarted it happened 10 minutes later. Later that night the car rode fine and then the next day, it came up with the same error message but did not power down. I was able to drive the car. My car is in the shop this morning I have a 2008 535i. I am thinking this is likely a computer bug in the system. Email me later today and I will let you know what they found.

My Cars
    535xi
    Thanks all.

Car back at dealership with engine running noticeably rough above 60 to 65 miles per hour with same feeling (i.e. feels like driving over rough surface) as it did before it reduced power and had to be towed. Dealership cannot find any error codes and suggested they could not replicate the problem although do suggest it is a fuel management issue so hopefully will be sorted soon.

My Cars
    535xi
    Quote Originally Posted by fetalsono View Post
    This just happened to me yesterday. I had to shut off the car wait a minute and then restarted it happened 10 minutes later. Later that night the car rode fine and then the next day, it came up with the same error message but did not power down. I was able to drive the car. My car is in the shop this morning I have a 2008 535i. I am thinking this is likely a computer bug in the system. Email me later today and I will let you know what they found.
    ANy update - what did the dealership suggest?

My Cars
    BMW 535i 2008

Engine malfunction

Got my car back yesterday. It was the fuel pump. They replaced it and all is well now.

My Cars
    BMW 535 XI 2008

Exact same problem

So I am havinng the exact same problem, car is at the dealer. I think I PO'd the service guy when I sent him some 411 I got from this site, I was just curious and really bummed my first BMW has a reliability of 0 so far....2 mnths old. Anyway, they just replied (have had the car for over a day) with "fault codes for cylinder misfire and fuel cutout due to low fuel level." The tech instructed us to add fuel and road test, he then wants to run a series of tests as a follow up. Since the vehicle was on reserve fuel level at testing he did not want to continue without adding fuel so as not to obtain any other low fuel level faults to confuse the diagnostics. We are going to want to spend a couple more hours on this to see what faults return." Not a mechaninc but sounds very suspect.

My Cars
    2000 528i, MT
    I've seen the low fuel fault stored before. Basically the test equipment 'suggests' possible causes for the misfire faults in the order most likely to have caused the fault, ie., low fuel, fuel injector, ignition coil, etc... It sounds like you might have the hpp pump failure as described endlessly in other threads, but because the hpp issue is common doesn't mean you can assume that's the cause of your problem. If you had fuel level sending units that malfunctioned at some point (relatively common, particularly when running with 1/4 tank or less) the car may have become fuel starved even though the gauge indicated sufficient fuel in the tank. It sounds like the tech is just trying to rule out the 'insufficient fuel' possibility first. This kind of scenario is certainly disappointing, but at this point I'd give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and let them work through whatever they need to in order to fix the car. If the problem returns and the 'low fuel' scenario turns out to be bogus, then you might start getting a bit upset. Hang in there and let us know what happens.
    SOLD, again!! Good luck, Eric!! 6/10/2012
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."

My Cars
    BMW 535xi

Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power

I received the same message about a month ago and then again last week. The first time the dealer indicated it was an onboard computer issue that was resolved. This past week I have noticed reduced power and thanks to the posts, I have an idea that the High Pressure Fuel Pump is the likely problem. The Engine Malfunction notice only comes on when I attempt to drive at higher speeds. Thanks again for the information provided!!!

My Cars
    2008 535xi
    hi all, I just took delivery of 2008 535xi about a month ago and while driving the other day the engine started to studder. After which the engine reduced power light went on. I continued to drive in limp mode but then power came back fine and light went off. I brought it to a dealer and they acknowledge that a fault was thrown but couldn't replicate the issue. I mention the fuel pump issue but they checked it out and it seems to be fine. Anyone have similar problems? Should I bring it to another dealer? Any advice would be much appreciated. Txs

My Cars
    2000 528i, MT
    The more I see these complaints, the more upsetting it is. Bishop's complaint is absolutely characteristic of a failing hpp. Not having worked on the car personally, I can't say that's the issue for certain, but it sure sounds like it. I'm very disappointed that BMW isn't jumping on this issue with a more conclusive test plan or diagnosis plan to help remedy these complaints. 'Cannot duplicate' is getting old...
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."

My Cars
    '08 535i, '06 X3
    Q:
    Drove away on 8/22 with my '08 535i w/ 27 miles on the clock. On 8/24 @ 380 miles, the Engine Malfunction message pops up (road trip from Albuquerque to Gallup NM delivering niece from Boston to visit g'parents). Pulled over and verified code message that it was okay to continue and limped home.

3rd in line Monday morning, discussed with SA and left car. First call, "How much gas was in tank when it occurred?", 4 hours later. Next call came 3 hours after that. Shows a cyl. #1 mis-fire, CAN"T REPLICATE. Need to keep car overnight to try again in the morning, which is where it stands as of this writing.

What is also disappointing is when I site information from this, and other forums, my SA just smiles and shakes his head. Kind of a paternalistic "That's fine my child, but WE are the professionals". OR if you own a BMW you must be some kind of snob who can't possibly understand the inner working of an internal combustion engine. Also spoke to service manager and he was little more open to info regarding HPFPs and also possible concerns with injectors. But of course, by acknowledging this stuff on-line, they would also be acknowledging that a larger problem may/does exist.

Sorry to have rambled on; the rant is over. Now I wait.

My Cars
    2000 528i, MT
    No need to apologize for that rant, Johnny. Talk about bad first impressions... That's up there for the worst initial BMW experience prize. Sorry you're having to deal with this man, and your dealer (SA) certainly doesn't seem to be helping the situation. I don't know about NM, but in CA, 3 times in a year for the same issue or 30 days out of commission puts you in a very nice position for a buy-back. But in the same breath I hope you don't give up on BMW, as your car is otherwise a very, very nice choice (although I probably wouldn't think so were I in your shoes). I've got my fingers crossed for a new service bulletin from BMW authorizing us to install a new "redesigned" high pressure pump (I hope it exists...). Let us know if it happens again, Johnny.
    Q

My Cars
    '99 M3; '13 S4
    Hi everyone.... new to the e60 and started reading this thread. I didn't notice any 550i on this thread. Is the hpp issue exclusive to the 535?

Thanks.
    Safetywork

Estoril/Black: '99 e36 M3 Coupe (5MT)
    Steel Braided Brake Lines, Steel Braided Clutch Line, TCK Single Adjustable Coilovers, TCK RSM, K-MAC Camber/Castor plates, X-Brace, Corner Balanced, MagnaFlow Muffler, Custom Exhaust Piping (2.5" id), Turner Shorty Headers, Baffled Oil Pan, Z3 M Coupe Steering Rack, Reinforced Cross Member

My Cars
    04 M3, 90 M3, 99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetywork View Post
    Hi everyone.... new to the e60 and started reading this thread. I didn't notice any 550i on this thread. Is the hpp issue exclusive to the 535?

Thanks.
    535s and 335s

550's are not included.

Not sure about the 135 as there aren't as many out there as of yet.
    Tony Malgapo
    04 M3, 90 M3, 99 M Coupe, 97 Z3, 98 318TI M Sport, 02 525IT M Sport, 99 328IC M Sport, 02 745LI, 01 911Turbo, 89 911Cab, 07 STI
    It's a Sickness!

My Cars
    '99 M3; '13 S4
    Thanks!
    Safetywork

Estoril/Black: '99 e36 M3 Coupe (5MT)
    Steel Braided Brake Lines, Steel Braided Clutch Line, TCK Single Adjustable Coilovers, TCK RSM, K-MAC Camber/Castor plates, X-Brace, Corner Balanced, MagnaFlow Muffler, Custom Exhaust Piping (2.5" id), Turner Shorty Headers, Baffled Oil Pan, Z3 M Coupe Steering Rack, Reinforced Cross Member

My Cars
    2020 X3 M40
    Wow, this really sucks...I guess this would be some motivation to get the 550 over the 535...except if you need/want xi. I heard about similar problems with the 335 when it first came out. You would think after a trial run in the 3-series, they would fix the problem before introducing it to the 5 series! That really sucks...it's funny, when my Accord was having engine problems at only about 25k miles, the dealer said, "they could NOT duplicate the problem..." I took a ride with the mechanic and duplicated the problem all ride long! Anyway, he said to me he has never heard this before, and would check the "message boards" to see if he can find something common. They came back with "the issue seems to be normal, and there is no safety concern..." Gotta love dealers...Last time I buy a Honda, that's for sure!

Just as a FYI though, when I owned my 330ci, the dealer always took excellent care of me, fixing even problems that I didn't know existed, and they never gave me any issues about anything.
    Current Car: 2020 X3 M40i
    BMW's owned
    2002 330 ci (my first BMW)
    2011 128i (purchased as a CPO on 11/15)
    2017 X3 Xdrive28i (purchased new for wife on 2/17)

my favorite quote:
    C&D July 08
    Every other manufacturer should give up on building their own cars and just make M3s instead.

My Cars
    2008 535i

Engine malfunction

I've had a version of this for the last couple of months. It corrects when I restart the car, and only happens at speed (+50 mph) in hot weather.

I left the car at the dealer. After three days, they said a vacuum hose was loose, and they fixed it. Leaving aside all my cynical thoughts about technicians trying to get warranty repairs out of their hair, the problem reproduced within 5 miles of leaving the shop. Neither service advisor nor manager will return phone calls. They are turning a pretty big fan into a disgruntled customer.

Thanks to this forum, I will suggest the fuel pump issue.

My Cars
    '97 e39
    Second occurance throughout ownership. It's in the shop as of this morning. They called me during the end of the day, and Sales Rep told me they are going to replace it HPFP and program a updated software. I hope this will finally fix the issue for a while at least.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetywork View Post

Thanks.
    There is another forum where there is a petition to BMW on the HPFP. Of the types that have been identified, 201 are from 3-series / 131 are from 1-series / 45 are from 5-series and of the 45, 35 are from 2008.
    Last edited by CT535ix; 08-01-2010 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 535 XI 2008

535XI - I Think I Have Lemon

I hope everyone is having much better luck with their 2008 535XI. Just weeks after purchasing, Reduce Power warning, dealer took two weeks to fix and it was the high pressure fuel pump. Worked great. Less than a 8 months later, same problem. They said it was the computer, but I suspect not true, exact same symptoms. Four months ago, busted again. Fuel pump. Told the original was defective and they replaced the first with the same defective unit. They put a new model in, worked great. Guess what!? Problem again yesterday. SO I am taking a few days to cool down before calling dealer. I actually now hate the car. Since the second problem I refuse to drive any significant distance in it because I have 0 coinfedence in it. The service center is awsome but they need to step this up. Fortunatley I leased and the lease ends in July. However, after this repair, its gonna sit in my garage, I refuse to drive now. Anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to drop it off and say keep it. I wonder if they would let me out of lease early or give me new car. I am in MA and I have a lemon law case but I am not going to litigate this, waste of time and $$. Its hysterical that my 2001 VW golf is out performaing my 2008 535 BMWXI. Looks like I am shopping Audi this summer. I truly hope when I call the dealer, they make this right.

w

My Cars
    2008 535xi Wagon

535 issues

I had similar issue my my 2008 535Xi and had the HPFP replaced in May - supposedly with a newer version. They are guaranteed way past your lease end, but that doesn't matter if you don't have confidence in the car.

If you are really interested in getting into a new BMW, you need to speak with BMWNA directly about what options you have of getting out of that car into a 2011 - that has a different HPFP that (so far) has not been failing.

If you aren't comfortable driving it due to safety and don't want to stay in the car, you need to speak with BMWNA directly about what options you have of getting out of the lease now.

good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast