Thread: new 18" wheels- old 17" spare- upgrade it?

My Cars
    m52 powered

new 18" wheels- old 17" spare- upgrade it?

I just made the switch to the 18" BBS- and my spare tire is a 17" wheel. I am not wanting to find out this is going to be a problem when it's too late- do I need to get an 18" spare?

I know the total diameter is about the same but I just want to be sure it's ok should I need to use the spare.. I recall reading about wheel sensor issues for wheels that are different sizes and the car being immobilized. That is not an option for me.

Also if anyone is selling an 18" BBS RSII I will buy it for a spare- must be near mint.

My Cars
    '98 528i
    - -Leave the spare out and save on gas. Lose the dead weigth. Road side assisants.- -
    Last edited by Jfive96; 05-24-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: text
    * *Guns Don't Kill People, Crazy Mutherf@^#ers Like Me Kill Theives!!!!!!* *
    "Connections Etc." I got what you need! Get at me!!!
    I'm Rich B*%$#h!!!!

My Cars
    02 m5, cbr 929rr
    im about to be in the same situation. . . just sold all 5 of my style 32's, and now have no spare. I will probobaly just toss in a winter wheel, as it is only a 'spare' just in case.

it's only going to be for getting me home, so i can order a new tire. simple as that.

My Cars
    e39
    If u have it get it. But u kno wanna keep your oe wheel for memories. U always need a spare my friends fuck waitin for assistance. You'll be stuck on the side of the road looking stupid.
    *It is better to have and not want, than want and not have*
    Mark?? Get the 5 rim u kno want it anyway and if u got some extra $$$ why not
    Last edited by flipppalot; 05-24-2008 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    1997 540i6 Touring
    no need to get an 18" spare... worst case (size has to be a LOT off for that) you will get an ABS/DSC light but it'll get you home safely. When in doubt just put it on now and go for a drive, see for yourself.
    Yes, it's a 6-speed Touring...
    WTB:
    - a pair of early factory Touring tails - the all-red US type

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I'd like the matching spare wheel but they no longer sell the rsII new. I think I will stick with what I have and try my luck should I need to use the spare. Of course if I do find a matching wheel and the price is right I will buy it.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    Quote Originally Posted by flipppalot View Post
    u kno wanna keep your oe wheel for memories. U always need a spare my friends fuck waitin for assistance. You'll be stuck on the side of the road looking stupid.
    I still have my style 5s, yes. The only way I will sell those is if things get really bad.

Sitting on the road waiting for some tire jockey "assistant" is not how I roll- I will always have a full size spare in my cars from these days forward. I like knowing I can get in the 528i and drive it to Cali if need be. If I ever get that e39 M5 I will be sporting a spare in it as well- in the trunk space.