Thread: Intermittent starting issue..540 6spd

My Cars
    M3/4/6, X5 4.4

Intermittent starting issue..540 6spd

I have had my 98 540i 6spd for several months now and I have had this starting issue a couple of times.

I will go to my car and turn the key to start and .....silence, nothing at all. Everything else seems normal (dash lights, radio, nav turns on), but when I turn the key farther to engage the starter...nothing. It has no pattern such as when hot, cold, or any other coincidence. It almost acts like the clutch pedal safety switch, but shouldn't the car have roll started when I tried that?

I must have turned the key from off to start nearly 50 times. After saying nice things to the carfor few minutes, it finally started.

I did a search on "starting" and didn't find anything similar to mine.

Anyone have experienced trouble like this?

I am recovering from ACL replacement surgery(3days ago), otherwise I would get under the dash and check the clutch switch, and other things.

My Cars
    1973 BMW 2002tii, 2003 BMW 540i, 2004 BMW 330i
    Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I'm experiencing similar symptoms on my '03 540i 6

I get a single click and the car won't start. Battery is fresh. Only after multiple tries to start, it eventually starts.

Could it be the starter?

My Cars
    M3/4/6, X5 4.4
    I had totally forgot about this thread. I have put over 10k miles on it since I posted this problem, and I must say that the issue hasn't happened lately.

I guess it could be the starter, but I would lean more toward an switch issue, or a relay issue.