Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Lease Guide thread

My Cars
    E90 335d, E34 540i6, TDI
    Gooday, new to the site (I posted to the E90 INTROs but can't post the link yet), but not to BMW's, or diesels (just not together). I'm about to get a 335d (Space Grey, Black int, Sport and Prem Pkgs) and will be leasing the car.

I was reading through this thread and came upon the bit about multiple security deposits vice down payment to reduce the monthly payment. My quick assessment is that, while an option, when the money factor is already low (.00120 at the moment -- the 2.9% incentive), putting seven security deposits down doesn't notably improve monthly pmt (in fact it worsens the situation.)

Am I missing something?

Here's my situation. Cap cost is 51,800 CDN (all in, including freight and a/c tax) Residual is 23k and change, the 42% of the list 55,700.
    With my intended down payment, the Depreciation Expense is $421/mo and Interest Expense (at .00120) is $76/mo.

If I reduce my down payment by re-directing a portion to multiple security deposits (the 7 max) then my Interest Expense does go down (MF now .00071 [the orig .00120 - 7 x .00007 = .00049]) to $48.96/mo (from $76), but redirecting a portion of the down payment increases the Depreciation Expense from $421/mo to $510/mo. So I'm down $28/mo on interest and up $120/mo on dep cost. Hmmm.

I would see a case where when money was more expensive to borrow (the 6.9/7.9/8.9% world) that mult security deposits could help, but since I have a larger down payment, the slight reduction in monthly (approx $28 less) doesn't seem worth it...my dep exp went up 120/mo so I'm actually 90/mo higher net with the mult SDs.

When I look at the value of the return of the multiple SD at end term, while a nice chunk of cash, the slimmer monthly payment is more appealing for a number of reasons ( a big strategic one being it's then less than my wife's payment on her Jeep).

More thinking out loud, but has anybody done the multiple security deposit thing recently, and if so, how did you situation favour such a choice?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Cheers
    Duey

My Cars
    BMW 335i Coupe
    New to the forum and my second BMW. My first was a 1984 320i that my dad bought me as a first car for $2500. I can sympathize about the wife and payments. I just got an 09 335i coupe and had to lease to keep a low payment. I would have bought the car and financed it for 5 years through BMW @ their 1.9% financing rate. O well, at least I still get to enjoy it and look forward to a new one in 3 years!!!!

My Cars
    MINI
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboylr45 View Post
    New to the forum and my second BMW. My first was a 1984 320i that my dad bought me as a first car for $2500. I can sympathize about the wife and payments. I just got an 09 335i coupe and had to lease to keep a low payment. I would have bought the car and financed it for 5 years through BMW @ their 1.9% financing rate. O well, at least I still get to enjoy it and look forward to a new one in 3 years!!!!
    Flyboy, would you be willing to share the details of your lease deal?

My Cars
    2009 335i xdrive,
    If the current lease and finance payments per month are pretty much the same ($2500 down, 3 year lease or 6 year finance)...does it make any difference which way you go, even if you paln on only keeping the car for about 3 years? The reason I ask is the finance per month of an M3 is less then the lease per month. If I can save some money....

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumgardner View Post
    If the current lease and finance payments per month are pretty much the same ($2500 down, 3 year lease or 6 year finance)...does it make any difference which way you go, even if you paln on only keeping the car for about 3 years? The reason I ask is the finance per month of an M3 is less then the lease per month. If I can save some money....
    You need to consider the depreciation risk, which varies by model, model year, production date and economic circumstances. It is not an easy question to answer, and you have to do the math to find out. I always suggest a TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) analysis, where you calculate how much a car costs you out of pocket (including taxes, fees, financing/leasing extras, etc) until the time you buy it outright or sell it. The only difficult part here is predicting the depreciation, which can vary.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    535xi, 911 C4S, 328xi C
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumgardner View Post
    Consistent with mryaken's comments it's all about the residual risk. What's the car worth at the end of the lease term and...can you get away with paying the least amount of money during the lease term and then turn it in with no penalty?

The lease payments being higher is an indicator. Leases have moved towards having the consumer pay more principal during the lease term leaving a smaller principal balance at the end, reducing the residual risk for the manufacturers. In some cases, I've heard that consumers have to guarantee the residual value, that is, if there is $29,000 left unamortized after after 36 months, you're on the hook if the wholesale price indicates that is not achievable.

At the end of the day, get yourself a well optioned car that will be easier to sell later on, take care of it, and don't worry about it too much. If the cost of money is cheaper on a loan, that may be the way to go. Good luck.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP

iPhone lease calculation app

If you have an iPhone, download a free application called "BuyLease". I used it when signing at the dealer to make sure all the numbers were accurate, and they were to the decimal point.
    You can also use it to get numbers if you want to do traditional financing.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 BMW E92 328iSPORT

Cool

Is there a certain time of year when it's better to lease ? Like for buying, December is usually a good time it seems, or are they usually both best at the same time of year ?

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennsport1 View Post
    Is there a certain time of year when it's better to lease ? Like for buying, December is usually a good time it seems, or are they usually both best at the same time of year ?
    I don't think there is a specific time, it all depends on what BMW has for special offers on leasing. That being said, whether doing traditional financing or leasing, the same car buying advice applies. If you noticed, we always advise people to negotiate the price of the car before going into financing options or details, they are really 2 independent steps. BMWs don't necessarily follow the same cycles are other cars in terms of price fluctuation since they usually have a different release cycle, so the December comment is not necessarily accurate. It may also depend on locale.

As far as leasing rates go, as you get closer to the release date of the newer MY, you will notice the MF decrease (lower APR), but that is somewhat offset by a lower residual. From time to time, BMW offers special APR rates for leasing certain, so that is usually the best time to lease. Now is a great time to get into a e9x if you do not mind the fact that the next model will be available in less than a year. The rates and rebates now are pretty good.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2007 BMW E92 328iSPORT

Cool

Thank you mryakan. I went the CPO route this last time earlier this year with a very low APR, so I won't be getting another car for at least 22 months or so, but I may look at the lease options next time, good thread. I love the current E92 body style, so it will be tempting to go CPO again on an '11 335IS

My Cars
    IS250

Lease pmt calculator on BMW page...

Is the lease pmt calculator on bmwusa fairly accurate in the ball park? Obviously credit has to do with it....
    "The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does an oil change. It's a pity the ECU is so damn temperamental."

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    It is accurate to the dot (assuming the factors have been updated which I believe is usually the case). No credit has nothing to do with it. The lease rates are fixed regardless of your credit. Rarely, you may be able to negotiate a lower MF, but very very rare. Most likely, multiple security deposits are the only way to bring it down.
    Don't forget to play with the downpayment, esp. if you can negotiate a lower purchase price (equivalent to reducing the payments by putting a downpayment).
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2010 BMW 335i Convert
    Has anyone bought a car that they leased? I know that sounds crazy. I leased a 2010 335i vert with M package (and basically every other option). This was my first BMW and I wasn't sure how I would like it and partly because I wanted to drive a new car every 3 years.

Well with a year left on the lease I can't imagine turning it in, especially since I'm not fond of the new 3 series (and that stupid nav system sitting on the dash like an aftermarket nav! What were they thinking?). This car is incredible, hands down the most fun and technologically advanced I have ever driven.

So my dilemma is, buy it after lease (seems silly financially, but..) or find something else. Problem is I can't find anther hard top vert out there with the technology and performance of the BMW, and I don't think I can do a new 3 series.
    Last edited by Macbest; 05-14-2012 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbest View Post
    Has anyone bought a car that they leased? I know that sounds crazy. I leased a 2010 335i vert with M package (and basically every other option). This was my first BMW and I wasn't sure how I would like it and partly because I wanted to drive a new car every 3 years.

Well with a year left on the lease I can't imagine turning it in, especially since I'm not fond of the new 3 series (and that stupid nav system sitting on the dash like an aftermarket nav! What were they thinking?). This car is incredible, hands down the most fun and technologically advanced I have ever driven.

So my dilemma is, buy it after lease (seems silly financially, but..) or find something else. Problem is I can't find anther hard top vert out there with the technology and performance of the BMW, and I don't think I can do a new 3 series.
    I did for my e36 and no it is not crazy. The buyout price was several thousands below the market price in my case. That's doesn't always work out that way though, some times they depreciate more than what BMW expected so the buyout price may not be in your favor. You can try to negotiate reducing the buyout price if that is the case, although it is tough, BMW doesn't negotiate much on that. Alternately, you can get your dealer to pick it off the auction and sell it to you for a reasonable profit.
    I'd say it all depends on how the #s work out.

Before bashing the new 3 series, go try it out if you haven't. But looks are subjective.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2010 BMW 335i Convert
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Before bashing the new 3 series, go try it out if you haven't. But looks are subjective.
    You are right; the new 3 series looks good on the outside, it is just that crazy GPS sitting on the dash that looks so aftermarket.

Since my lease ends in April 2013, I was thinking of an M3 (and possibly the vert) but hear that won't come out until summer 2013 at least...

My Cars
    2003 Volvo XC70

Dealer advertised BMW Lease Specials

This site aggregates dealership lease offers and is a useful resource for comparing who has the most competitive discounts any given time.

http://www.bestcardealsnow.com/s?pla...is_model=false

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12