Thread: how much does everyone pay for a brand new alternator?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI 5 SPD

how much does everyone pay for a brand new alternator?

my alternator burned out on me the other day and i made the mistake of bringing it to my mechanic as i was too busy to tackle it myself and i get the bill and they charged my $550 for the job! (he told me it was a 1 hour min charge job) i looked on the bill and it said the alternator was $390 and i asked about it and he said he gave me a good deal and the regular prce of the alternator was $530 the alternator is a Bosch

now i went down to my local auto parts store and they told me they stock the bosch alternators for $299 brand new

is there a difference in the alternator my mechanic gave me or am i just being ripped off?

im going to go down there later and have a talk about this "good deal" of an alternator i got.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e
    he prolly got the same one, and marked it up. mine was gonna be about the same. 300-340. but i got mine rebuilt.

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    I recently bought a brand new Valeo at autohausaz.com for $250.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e
    and that's american. we pay more in the canadas

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    maybe thats how much a brand new one from the dealer is? Only thing I can think of for the price being that high, without the mechanic raising the price on you.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e
    i didnt even think of that... that's a good point. bosch would be from the dealer, right?

My Cars
    97 328is

REman!

Bosch about 140 after core - not too bad.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI 5 SPD
    im thinking it was a dealer part he installed as he always (every other time ive had service done) used dealer parts.

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    $160.00 rebuilt with core return.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    318is, GSX-R1000
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbmw325I View Post
    maybe thats how much a brand new one from the dealer is? Only thing I can think of for the price being that high, without the mechanic raising the price on you.
    ahh, parts margin... sh!tty part of life, but necessary for maint shops... hopefully he gave you a warranty, decent mechs will...

diyourdamnself!

My Cars
    98 M3
    I got a remanufactured Valeo for $100 after the core charge from Advance Autoparts. It took me 15 minutes to swap it myself. It's a snap with a 6cyl e36.

Is my helmet big enough?

My Cars
    318is, GSX-R1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekihead View Post
    I got a remanufactured Valeo for $100 after the core charge from Advance Autoparts. It took me 15 minutes to swap it myself. It's a snap with a 6cyl e36.
    you must be a lucky soul! advance autos alternators are a crap shoot. never agian will i buy an electric part from them...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    $30 and up on ebay

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    none
    I think I paid $365ish for a 100A alternator from NAPA about a year ago. Took me an hour or less. It was a crazy on-the-road repair...after I had paid $600+ for an MAF replace on the way down. DOH
    WooT
    Gabriel Johnston
    Professional CAD Jockey
    Automotive Engineering Alumni - MSU, Mankato
    http://www.rallybimmer.com The never updated website

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.2 EVO

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by richbarn2 View Post
    you must be a lucky soul! advance autos alternators are a crap shoot. never agian will i buy an electric part from them...
    Nope. Not lucky, just after so many, you'll eventually get a good one. My last car was a 90 DeVille. Went through 5 alternators in 1 week. After the 3rd, I started changing them out in their parking lot, drove them around the building and had them check them out. It's like they got a huge bad batch or something.

Is my helmet big enough?

kirbykirbykirby is offline Hay, Text Below is wrong. 2008 Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    93' 325i (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekihead View Post
    Nope. Not lucky, just after so many, you'll eventually get a good one. My last car was a 90 DeVille. Went through 5 alternators in 1 week. After the 3rd, I started changing them out in their parking lot, drove them around the building and had them check them out. It's like they got a huge bad batch or something.
    That sounds like fun.

"So wutcha doing?"
    "Oh changing this here altnerator, 4th one this week."

My Cars
    BMW 325i 92
    DAMN! you guys payed alot!!!

Mine was an alternator rebuilt for $70. I installed it myself 5 months ago which took about 15 minutes to do and still runs till today. I'm sorry bro, get a new mechanic. Replacing your alternator is probably one of the easiest thing to do. It's a no brainer job. I have no mechanical experience except for regular maintenance stuff like changing the oil. On top of that, if you wanna take the time, there are a bunch of DYI to fix your own alternator which will cost much less.

My Cars
    e36 325i,e30 325is
    wow u can rebuild them that alternators are supposed to last the entire life of the car rebuilding them is not that hard